Author Topic: Board doesn't recognize Daylight time?  (Read 5706 times)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Board doesn't recognize Daylight time?
« on: April 05, 2004, 01:59:41 AM »
Hi,

This was my first Standard<-->Daylight change since I've been here.  I'm so used to my own system, and software for most boards, automatically making the change-over for me that I was surprised to see times here are now an hour earlier than they "should" be.

I take it there's no such provision in YaBB, and I'll have to manually change my time-zone relative to UT (in my profile) twice a year?

Best to all,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

kubecj

Re:Board doesn't recognize Daylight time?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 02:07:45 AM »
Our computers are running in CEST (+2). Forum has time offset -2 and it displays correct time for me.

Not sure if some other admin fixed that or what  :P

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 02:42:23 AM »
Thanks, kubecj.  I've never been clear about what parts of the world outside the US and Canada observe daylight time (and there are areas even here that don't, just to add to the confusion).  So leaving board time = UT is probably as convenient as anything.
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

techie101

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 03:27:37 AM »
Mike,

Since not all of us are in the same zone, I recommend that each user set their computer to the correct time and then use the "correction" table in the User Profile.

The board itself does not have the provision to "changeover" since as you have realized, many users do not use DT or STD changeovers.

Techie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 05:32:49 AM »
Since not all of us are in the same zone, I recommend that each user set their computer to the correct time and then use the "correction" table in the User Profile.

Mike, like Techie, I do recommend that you correct your time zone into the user profile... It won't be so boring going there twice a year and you can see all the post time 'corrected' to your time zone. It's very usefull.
The best things in life are free.

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 09:51:51 AM »
I take it there's no such provision in YaBB, and I'll have to manually change my time-zone relative to UT (in my profile) twice a year?

Well, the daylight saving time switching could be a real pain in the global world  ;)

While most Northern hemisphere countries switch to (and from) it - and even in the same time (it was not true several years ago), there are many countries (especially closer to the equator) which do not apply this. And some countries in the Southern Hemisphere switch the time in exactly opposite directions! So there is no simple way how to do this globally.

Of course - if your computer serves just one country or region, it is much simpler, but even there you can find some problems: take Arizona as an example - it is the only US state which does not use the daylight time so during part of the year it is 1hr shifted comparing to the other stats around.

Hope this helps
Pavel

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 08:38:41 PM »
Of course - if your computer serves just one country or region, it is much simpler, but even there you can find some problems: take Arizona as an example - it is the only US state which does not use the daylight time so during part of the year it is 1hr shifted comparing to the other stats around.

Thanks, Pavel -- I think I've been amply answered by now.  ;)  I agree, given the global nature of our membership plus your "home base" is in Europe, it would be impractical to try it on a board-wide basis.  And as Technical said, it's no big deal to wake up twice a year to modify my profile.

Just a bit of trivia -- I wasn't aware of Arizona, but there's another oddball area (and I haven't a clue how its boundaries are defined).  The northeast approximately-one-quarter of Indiana also doesn't observe Daylight time -- in most versions of Windows, you can see it listed as a separate "time zone".

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 09:39:14 PM »
in most versions of Windows, you can see it listed as a separate "time zone".
Really? I do not see this in teh Mac OS. i do see arizona as a diffrent zone but not Indiana.  :'(
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay