Author Topic: WinXP SP3 install and Avast  (Read 3169 times)

Laverne

WinXP SP3 install and Avast
« on: July 27, 2008, 06:10:42 AM »
Before installing WinXP SP3, should I turn off Avast?  If yes, how?
Thanks.
Laverne

ardvark

Re: WinXP SP3 install and Avast
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 07:51:42 AM »
Hi...

I remember reading about this in another thread but I can't remember where. ???

Folks here have done it both ways without problems, however, problems have occured with others. I would recommend shutting down the services before installing SP3 to be on the safe side. You can do this from the tray icon (the blue ball with the letter "a" that spins around.)

Also, before you begin, I would wait to hear from others on here who I'm positive know more about this than I do. :)

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 07:53:47 AM by ardvark »

sunrisecc

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 11:54:48 AM »
On a friend's computer, I installed XP SP3 last night. Prior to the install, I paused all services. I did this as it was a slow computer and I didn't want the service pack update to take even longer. I had no problem. After the mandatory reboot, the services resume automagically. :D

Laverne

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 09:40:19 PM »
Thanks to you both.  "Automagically" -- I like that.

You paused ALL services -- not only Avast?  How does one pause all services?  There are multitudinous services running on my computer.  Did you change each one individually to Manual startup?  Or?

I see Avast has the option to "Stop On-Access Protection" available but what about under Settings > Troubleshoting > "Disable Avast self-defense module"?  Should this also be checked before installing XP SP3?

Laverne

sunrisecc

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 10:32:44 PM »
I meant Avast providers when I stated 'services'. I was only referring to Avast. However it is true that I always terminate unnecessary services such as Weather and  other apps etc via Task manager. On slower computers I want as much power available for SP3.

epp

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 10:37:28 PM »
When I first started with Windows (95) in 1997, one of the first things told to me was that when installing or uninstalling any software, turn off/pause the anti-virus software first.

I did this before installing SP 3 the other day and did not have a single problem.

In the case of Avast!, I paused the Standard Shield, which then forced Windows to indicate that the anti-virus software is turned off.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 12:00:57 AM by epp »