Author Topic: Outlook issue?  (Read 3779 times)

sanctuaryforever

Outlook issue?
« on: July 14, 2008, 06:39:09 PM »
I clicked an unsubscribe link today in a e-mail I trust and it brought up the splash screen for outlook provider in Avast and sent the e-mail but now Outlook is still running in task manager (but it says it has run for only a second) even though the program is not visible and the outlook provider is still classed as running even though it should have reverted to waiting for a sub system to start.  If anyone knows how I can close outlook without causing it to mess up I would be grateful and also has anyone else had this issue?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Outlook issue?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 05:04:27 AM »
Sorry, can't help further... can't guess...
Maybe Alan could drop some light here...
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 06:29:05 AM »
Sorry Tech I only use Outlook (2003 is the latest I have) for testing with avast from time to time. 

Actually the problem reported by this user is why I gave up on Outlook (before I ever used avast) ... there were too many times when Outlook (at that time Outlook 2000) continued running when I closed the GUI and that made the next start for Outlook problematic.  That was when I switched to Thunderbird.

As I said I only use Outlook 2003 infrequently now but in my most recent testing with OL2003 and the current avast beta (4.8.1218) I am not encountering any issues.   
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 06:31:19 AM by alanrf »

dallas7

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 10:09:13 PM »
It's a little known "feature" of Outlook: clicking on the X in the upper right to close the app doesn't really close it; the process continues, but the GUI (aka window, aka front end) is closed.  Use "Exit" from the File pull-down menu to do an actual exit.

Try it both ways a few times and observe its behavior in Task Manager.  If Outlook doesn't drop out of the processes image name list, then something else is running that needs Outlook to be an active process even if the GUI is closed.  For example, if you have alerts set up in tasks or calendar.  Or a third party add-in, misbehaving or not.

To check on your ad-ins, in Outlook navigate to:
Tools > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Add-in Manager
Un-check stuff one at a time to find a possible culprit.

If you know for sure you have nothing hooked for Outlook to act upon, terminate the Outlook/Exchange provider in Avast! and see if that resolves your Outlook process issue.

If there is no reason for Outlook to be active when the GUI is closed, then there is indeed a problem that needs to be addressed.  If all else fails, an unistall/re-install might be needed.  Though tedious, ending the process in Task Manager is an effective work-around.

Good luck.

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:49:59 PM »
I will try dallas7, thanks for the input

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 11:35:34 PM »
Though tedious, ending the process in Task Manager is an effective work-around.
Hmmm... doing this could ask for a 'repair' of the pst file on next time... like when Outlook is not well closed...
The best things in life are free.

dallas7

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 10:17:50 PM »
That's why I termed the process a workaround and prefaced it as a problem needing to be addressed.  Exiting a recalcitrant app in Task Manager is always an iffy proposition.

Here's something interesting...
http://www.daveswebsite.com/software/olshutdown/index.shtml