Author Topic: Need to Start Avast Home Twice.  (Read 5738 times)

***Sentinela***

Need to Start Avast Home Twice.
« on: March 15, 2009, 10:01:33 PM »
My Pc is a notebook HP - Windows Vista Business - dv2880br - 3072 b 250GB. Yesterday I had some problems with my operational sytem and this sunday I recovered the system. I have avast home and windows defender. Everything is up to date. I have to double click twice the avast home icon to start the main menu. I turned off the account user control. I notice some people are having this problem with Vista. As i am a new user in this forum, how can we contact the developers of avast home to explain them the problem. As my system is recovered (and brand new), i am 99,9% sure is a avast home bug.
How can we solve this problem.]Thanks.

Sentinela

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Need to Start Avast Home Twice.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 10:11:51 PM »
In the other thread, you wrote about a bluescreen. When a bluescreen occurs, the corresponding minidump file is created in Windows\Minidump folder. If you have that minidump, please upload it to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming - it may tell us more about what happened.
If the minidump is gone because you restored/reinstalled the system, there's nothing to say (except for the fact that millions of users use avast! on Vista without any problems, so this "99.9% certainity that the problem is in avast!" is most likely wrong).

As for the double start - what does Task Manager show when you start it for the first time? Do you see a new process there?

***Sentinela***

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 11:15:39 PM »
the blue death screen appeared yesterday, and i had other AV installed on my pc (avg free). I recovered my system today and i instaled avast home instead of avg free. So, the blue screen is not related with avast.
When i try to start avast, appears one process, the main menu does not appear and the process desapear. I double click again int the avast icon and the main menu appears and appears another process in the task manager. (the first one appear and disappear)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 11:57:53 PM »
Uploading the minidumps as suggested could help get to the botom of this, it really is an opportunity not to be missed to have direct input from the Alwil team.

Ensure you have all remnants of AVG removed run this tool after an add remove programs (if you didn't already do that) of AVG.
AVG8 Remover, download tool from here, http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

***Sentinela***

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 11:56:49 AM »
David, as i said before, after the blue screen of death i decided to recovered my operational system. So, i don´t have anymore available the information about what was causing the blue screen. The avg, former anti virus, was completely removed.
To update the situation, today i started and closed many times the avast 4.8 in my notebook HP.
Just the first time i start avast after the windows vista boot i have to click twice the avast icon to start the program. I did it several times, and this problem always happens jus after the windows vista boot. The same thing occur when i tried to start clicking directly in the file in the avast folder (always after the windows vista bussiness boot).
After the windows boot, when i click the avast icon, appears on process (welcome screen and memory test) and then dissapear. The second double click appears two process, the welcome screen (and after dissapear) and the related to the inicial window.
As like others users reported in different posts, reinstall the program didn´t solve the problem.

Dallas3super

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 04:33:22 AM »
When I run AVAST 4.8 Home from the desktop on my laptop
(it goes through the mem/startup checks)
sometimes it completes but does not bring up the
AVAST main screen.  If I run it a second time, it does.

I have a laptop using MS Vista Basic.

It just started doing this the last couple of days.
(Had Norton360 when purchased pc;but uninstalled a couple of
weeks ago.)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 04:45:37 PM »
Please start a New Topic of your own as this seems unrelated to the original subject and will just confuse the topic and we will try to help. 
- Go to this link, http://forum.avast.com/index.php, scroll down to the avast 4 Home/Pro forum and click it, click the New Topic button at the top of the list and post there.

For that new topic.
You shouldn't need to start avast using the desktop icon it should start automatically - why is this necessary ?
If it is your intention to run an on-demand scan (Simple User Interface), then right click the avast 'a' icon, select,  Start avast! Antivirus.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security