Author Topic: internet connection problems in vista  (Read 32919 times)

eze

internet connection problems in vista
« on: July 17, 2008, 01:44:27 AM »
I am running vista sp1, latest version of avast and free zonealarm, i can get on the internet using i.e. or firefox but then they will stop responding. tried shutting down zonealarm and still no connection. disabled avast and everything started working again. I can ping 127.0.0.1 and yahoo.com, when the problems occur. help or any ideas will be appreciated. also tried disabling web shield , no luck.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 01:52:00 AM by eze »

eze

Re: internet connection problems in vista
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 01:48:21 AM »
also, no other antivirus have ever been installed and windows firewall is turned off.

Jtaylor83

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 02:05:17 AM »
Do you have dial-up, DSL, or wireless? Did you check all connections?

eze

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 02:07:37 AM »
dsl with wireless modem, all other computers have xp and not experienced issues.  this is a problem, I have been having, didnt just start.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 02:09:09 AM by eze »

Jtaylor83

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 02:22:32 AM »
Did you check the connections (ie. phone line, ethernet, phone filter)? Does the DSL have a reset button?

eze

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 03:17:54 AM »
i promise, its not the connection. its avast, b/c the other computers will still connect when this one does not, i can use it for a little while and then it starts, i have narrowed it down to avast. like i said above, i can still ping the localhost and websites, but internet explorer and firefox stops responding. i also see where other vista users are experiencing the same thing. i have disabled webshield and it seems to be working right now.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 03:29:51 AM by eze »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 03:31:07 AM »
i promise, its not the connection.

free zonealarm
avast does not change connection... the firewall does that.
Remove avast entries of Zone Alarm and boot.
Next boot, allow connections.

Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.
The best things in life are free.

eze

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 04:49:02 AM »
i have already allowed avast full connection. in fact avast is running right now, w/o webshield  enabled and its fine. When avast along with zonealarm were fully enabled, and the problem started i  disabled zonealarm and reloaded i.e. to see if that worked and it did not. if zonealarm was blocking the connection why did it work for a while and then cause i.e to not connect? this is happening after i have already been on the internet for a while, like i said, i have been having and troubleshooting this problem for a while, it just didn't start today. every time i disable avast and reload i.e or firefox it works. so its tells me and i am no expert that its avast. I have avast and zonealarm on 3 xp machines configured with the same settings and not having any problems. i know zonealarm is a headache for novice user, but i have a little idea on how to properly configure it.

eze

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 04:54:49 AM »
let me try to explain it again. i can get on the internet and browse but after a period of time, internet explorer and/or firefox will not respond ie... trying to open new tab, new window and refresh a page. i close down avast and restart i.e. and it works like its suppose to, then if i enable avast it will work for a period of time and the same problems start again.

eze

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 04:58:13 AM »
same thing that this user is experiencing:

I have been having this issue in Vista where IE7 stops working after about 5-10 minutes of use. It will just sit there as if it is loading a web page but the page never loads. I tried Firefox and it is doing the same thing. Today I isolated the problem. If I stop Web Shield, the browsers immediately begin functioning normally again.

During the problem I can still ping, use messenger, access other network resources.

Not sure what the deal is but it might need addressing for future releases because this problem is happening for other folks as well as you can see in the following link: http://winvistaforums.com/windows-vista-support/10005-browser-stops-working-after-while-7.html

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 04:59:14 AM »
Eze... I can just guess it's a glitch or conflict with WebShield and ZA.
Maybe installing ZA from the scratch helps...
It's difficult to troubleshoot when we don't know exactly what is happening, it's difficult to troubleshoot intermittent problems... sorry.
The best things in life are free.

eze

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 05:08:28 AM »
ok i appreciate you trying to help, it just has me baffled.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 05:09:51 AM »
I have also seen something like this with Firefox 3, though not on my own PCs so I hope my recollection is correct.

In Vista (Vista Firewall) after an iAVS update, turning off the Webshield or restarting Windows is necessary to restore browsing.
In XP (no firewall) after establishing a VPN connection with a remote computer, no browsing is possible until the VPN connection is disconnected.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

eze

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 05:43:59 AM »
i am going to uninstall zonealarm and continue to to troubleshoot, if i have any luck i will post it.

miscreant

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 10:49:25 PM »
i am going to uninstall zonealarm and continue to to troubleshoot, if i have any luck i will post it.

Be sure to untick  in ZA start with windows before uninstalling as it can cause problems sometimes.
m