Author Topic: internet connection problems in vista  (Read 32916 times)

eze

Re: internet connection problems in vista
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 11:19:55 AM »
i removed zone alarm reinstalled it, internet works for a little while then stops responding. shutdown zonealarm no response, shutdown avast works like it is suppose to? any more ideas to try? if i shutdown avast and restart it, everything begins to work again also. so it leaves me dumbfounded with it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 11:47:33 AM by eze »

eze

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 07:38:06 PM »
btt.

ETP

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 10:24:38 PM »
Have you a solution? I have the same issue.
Rgds Etienne

mbole370

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 01:59:44 AM »
I have figured it out for you guys what the problem is. 

Take these steps.

1. Open up your web shield.
2. Click on Customize.
3. Where it says Redirected http ports.  It should say 80
4. Delete where it says 80, make it say nothing

It will work fine.

Make sure you clear your cookies/temp files before running the internet now.

I hope this helps.

Matt

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 02:53:10 AM »
By doing that your might as well disable the web shield because it is effectively the same as you aren't redirecting the port 80 traffic through the web shield filter and content isn't scanned. Just check the Scanned count: field in the web shield and you will see it isn't scanning your traffic.

If you do that (clearing the 80), no browser can use the web shield unless you manually configure it to use Web Shield, see below.

Manually setting your browser to use the web shield proxy,
see these tutorials for an idea of what you have to do in a few browsers.

For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox

Opera Users - Tools> Preferences> Advanced> Network> Proxy Servers, see image.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 02:56:44 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mbole370

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 05:15:25 AM »
By doing that your might as well disable the web shield because it is effectively the same as you aren't redirecting the port 80 traffic through the web shield filter and content isn't scanned. Just check the Scanned count: field in the web shield and you will see it isn't scanning your traffic.

If you do that (clearing the 80), no browser can use the web shield unless you manually configure it to use Web Shield, see below.

Manually setting your browser to use the web shield proxy,
see these tutorials for an idea of what you have to do in a few browsers.

For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox

Opera Users - Tools> Preferences> Advanced> Network> Proxy Servers, see image.

I wonder if there is a way to maybe put a link into your software, because there is not a lot of people who are going to know how to do this at all.  However with the video that is very easy.  Most people have no clue when they download it that they need to do this at all.  I had 2 people delete it thinking that it just wasn't compatiable with there computer.  It may save time just putting a link on how to do that right in the software.  Or setup something to add that proxy to the default explorer.

Thanks

Matt

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 05:32:10 AM »
mbole370,

I have to ask what is your operating system and still further why you feel the need to disable the important scanning of Web activity by avast (that works just fine for the overwhelming majority of us) that could save you from a lot of grief?

We just want to understand the problem you are encountering and try to help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 12:53:55 PM »
your software
Their software... we're users like you ;)

It may save time just putting a link on how to do that right in the software.  Or setup something to add that proxy to the default explorer.
It is, somehow, in the help files... hope they improve in version 5.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 03:28:02 PM »
I wonder if there is a way to maybe put a link into your software, because there is not a lot of people who are going to know how to do this at all. 

This is the exception rather than the rule, as this is suggested to overcome a problem on a system. For the greatest majority on newer OSes, win2k, XP, Vista, etc. this is not necessary. So please don't read this as a requirement for all users, it isn't.

If you are using win9.x or win ME (?) then had you checked the avast help file there is a bit about this in the Resident Protection, Web Shield, see image extract.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mbole370

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 10:56:45 PM »
mbole370,

I have to ask what is your operating system and still further why you feel the need to disable the important scanning of Web activity by avast (that works just fine for the overwhelming majority of us) that could save you from a lot of grief?

We just want to understand the problem you are encountering and try to help.

I am using windows vista.  I have also just tried the following examples above to try to get my internet to work again and if i do what the video shows above i can't use ie at all.  It will not even think about going to an address.  If i disable the proxies and just run off of my own internet connections it runs perfect.  I guess i will not be able to have web scanning at all.

This isn't the first time i have heard of this or seen this.  I had a laptop that it didn't work on either.

Thanks for trying to help.

Matt

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 11:10:28 PM »
If i disable the proxies
Which proxies?
Do you use a proxy?
With XP\Vista you don't have to change any proxy to use avast...
The best things in life are free.

darth

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 01:23:03 AM »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 05:50:37 AM »
mbole370

Matt,

I fear that you may have misunderstood how avast works.

If you do not need a proxy to connect to the Internet for your normal use then you need to make no changes to avast for it to work with the Internet and protect you either. 

Can you please let us know, as Tech asked above, if you use a proxy to connect to the Internet (forgetting all about avast)? 

Please believe that all of of us in this thread - simply avast users just as you are - want to try to help you get this working - but that does mean you have to work with us too.

bosco685

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2009, 08:39:23 PM »
Might review information at http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/03/22/disable-tcp-auto-tuning-to-solve-slow-network-cannot-load-web-page-or-download-email-problems-in-vista/. That solved  partial loading/freeze here with Vista.
I am so glad I decided to check out this forum, as I think this was my Windows Vista issue. I followed the instructions in this article and found out my Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level was set to "highlyrestricted" rather than the demonstrated "normal." How it got set to that level, not sure since this was an HP factory-installed system.

But I am also experiencing the same exact problem for 2 months now. I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP 1, and upon uninstalling the factory-installed Norton AV so I could use Avast with my install of Zone Alarm Version 8.0.065.000, I started having intermittent connection problems. As soon as I would disable Avast and just run ZA, all of a sudden I could connect. It has to be the Web Shield feature interaction with Windows Vista, but how it ties into the TCP Auto-Tune I am not clear yet.

I'll let you all know if these instructions solved my connection problems. I belong to a collectors forum, and after logging in it isn't long after that my internet connection stops, yet any of my Windows XP systems (I have 5 computers total) never have an issue.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 08:41:04 PM by bosco685 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2009, 08:57:55 PM »
Two things.

1. Norton can be a pig to remove, ensure you have it all removed. A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

2. What version of ZA do you have, Free or Pro ?
Care needs to be exercised as the free version comes with the pro trial and unless you opt for the free only, you end up with pro privacy functionality and that can throw up its own issues.

Did you get a compatibility pop-up relating to Zone Alarm and the web shield, if so what did you answer ?