Author Topic: internet connection problems in vista  (Read 32918 times)

bosco685

Re: internet connection problems in vista
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2009, 09:26:17 PM »
Two things.

1. Norton can be a pig to remove, ensure you have it all removed. A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

2. What version of ZA do you have, Free or Pro ?
Care needs to be exercised as the free version comes with the pro trial and unless you opt for the free only, you end up with pro privacy functionality and that can throw up its own issues.

Did you get a compatibility pop-up relating to Zone Alarm and the web shield, if so what did you answer ?
High David, and thanks for the note.

1. I'll still run the registry cleaner to flush out all the Norton hidden connections. Smart move.

2. Zone Alarm Free, which I ensured to choose FREE when it presented the Wizard asking which I would want.

3. I've used ZA for over 7 years now, so realize if I select to NOT allow access to a program, it cannot connect. When the problem started, I even went back into ZA, removed all programs, and started from scratch to see if maybe accidentally I had not allowed access.

It has something to do with Avast's interaction with that auto-tuning as previously when the problem would occur, I would turn off Avast, wait for the messages to come up what had just been turned off (e.g. Stopping Provider "Web Shield," etc), and immediately I would have access again.

There is nothing else I am adjusting that would relate to ZA, former install of Norton AV, or not being connected to the internet. All my other XP-based systems can connect NO PROBLEM, yet my Vista desktop locks up periodically.

bosco685

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2009, 09:42:13 PM »
Folks, I think this is fixed finally after every day having to turn off Avast to do some work on the internet (I know, crazy having to turn off an AV program). I've been freeze-free for over an hour now, and that was never the case.

So I would lean heavily towards figuring out why the auto-tuning and Avast run into this problem, or at least how to mitigate the issue.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2009, 10:01:07 PM »
The interaction of ZA and avast, specially in Vista, from time to time, brings troubles.
Sometimes, keeping avast installed, uninstalling ZA, booting, installing again can solve the issues.
The best things in life are free.

bosco685

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2009, 10:10:18 PM »
The interaction of ZA and avast, specially in Vista, from time to time, brings troubles.
Sometimes, keeping avast installed, uninstalling ZA, booting, installing again can solve the issues.
But in this case I did nothing to either Avast or ZA, but rather followed the instructions on how to disable auto-tune TCP.

Would that still be an Avast or ZA issue, or more how they interact with auto-tune via Vista? You know what I mean?

It is too easy to just raise our hands and say the two programs interacting is always the issue. So how can we narrow it down to what the true issue was for me? As soon as I disabled auto-tune and hit all my regular sites, NOT ONCE did IE lock up.

What does that auto-tune TCP feature do? Maybe that is what we need to dig into and spread the word as part of troubleshooting procedures, right?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 10:13:16 PM by bosco685 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2009, 10:24:14 PM »
Folks, I think this is fixed finally after every day having to turn off Avast to do some work on the internet (I know, crazy having to turn off an AV program). I've been freeze-free for over an hour now, and that was never the case.

So I would lean heavily towards figuring out why the auto-tuning and Avast run into this problem, or at least how to mitigate the issue.

Thanks for the update, however, by "having to turn off Avast to do some work on the internet" is as you say crazy when all you need do is either pause or terminate the Web Shield as a temporary fix as this doesn't completely leave you with your metaphorical trousers round you ankles whilst on-line.

Unfortunately I can't help with either Vista (don't, use it - read avoiding it like the plague) or Zone Alarm, I gave up on zone alarm over 6 years ago for my existing firewall Outpost Pro (use the free version for a while first). In all that time I have only had one very small issue, which was quickly resolved.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2009, 12:07:57 AM »
Unfortunately I can't help with either Vista (don't, use it - read avoiding it like the plague) or Zone Alarm, I gave up on zone alarm over 6 years ago for my existing firewall Outpost Pro (use the free version for a while first). In all that time I have only had one very small issue, which was quickly resolved.
I use Vista but I would never use ZoneAlarm.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2009, 12:15:23 AM »
I use Vista but I would never use ZoneAlarm.
I think I wouldn't use it anymore either...

bosco685

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2009, 01:30:39 AM »
So then two questions.

1. How do you turn off JUST the web shield feature and what's the risk?

2. What's wrong with ZA and what would you recommend using?

Thanks folks for the help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2009, 01:59:03 AM »
Disable the provider and answer 'yes' to persist the changes. It's not a good idea, although. If you visit a website, webshield can stop infection before the files are saved to the disk.

Sometimes it's buggy.
We suggest PcTools, Comodo or Online Armor or, if you don't mind that much, Windows firewall only.

bosco685

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2009, 04:50:03 AM »
Disable the provider and answer 'yes' to persist the changes. It's not a good idea, although. If you visit a website, webshield can stop infection before the files are saved to the disk.

Sometimes it's buggy.
We suggest PcTools, Comodo or Online Armor or, if you don't mind that much, Windows firewall only.

Thank you so much to all! I'm going to look up these other firewalls as I do love using Avast. Have a super night.

ovincez

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2009, 06:40:51 AM »
Might review information at http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/03/22/disable-tcp-auto-tuning-to-solve-slow-network-cannot-load-web-page-or-download-email-problems-in-vista/. That solved  partial loading/freeze here with Vista.

I have been having problems sending email in Vista 64. Tried just about everything I could think of to no avail. Uninstalled all anti-virus and firewalls but still couldn't send most email. Simple emails sent to myself usually send. But if I am replying to someone the mail usually doesn't send. Talk about frustrating. I pay for my Yahoo account so that is annoying. This has been going on for about 3 months now. I try to send and it comes up with a message saying it is taking longer than usual and will let me know when it is sent. After several minutes a message appears telling me it couldn't be send because there was a connection problem. I also tried posting on a discussion board and even though I was on line the whole time the message didn't post and I got the page showing no connection.

I have tried to find someone on line, somewhere, somehow, someway who had a solution. Today I found one that worked. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is the solution. I had to disable the tcp auto tuning. I did that and could send email. Amazing!! Thanks to everyone here. I went back and enabled tcp auto-tuning set at normal but this prevented me from sending email. So I had to disable tcp auto-tuning and things are okay. I can send email and can post on line. Whew! I was so pleased I had to register here to thank everyone.

Vince