Author Topic: Next Avast  (Read 3109 times)

Macintosh

Next Avast
« on: July 17, 2008, 01:29:58 PM »
When will the next version of avast antivirus be released  :)

Iso-G

Re: Next Avast
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 03:16:27 PM »
If you are looking for avast! 5, this press release may give you a hint:
http://www.avast.com/eng/press-release-avast-celebrates-50-000-000th-registered-user.html
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 03:26:01 PM by Iso-G »

Sesame

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 03:28:12 PM »
When will the next version of avast antivirus be released  :)
If you meant Avast! 5, the latest information was posted by, Vlk, one of Alwil employees in another thread.
A couple of semi-official comments:

- it is not realistic to think about Q3 this year. End of the year would be great, but it is not guaranteed in any way. We definitely don't want to rush it.

- proactive detection (or, rather, prevention of zero day malware) is (as already announced) one of the hottest topic of the new version. But of course, even the current version of avast ( 4.8 ) engine contains a couple of methods designed to tackle yet-unknown malware.

- I don't want to comment the recommendations about specific (competing) AV products given above -- let me just say that Nod32 is not what it used to be now... :)

- the GUI will be totally changed. If you say please nicely, I may consider posting some preliminary screenshots :o).

Take care
Vlk

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 03:31:45 PM »
It depends on what version you are talking about, the program is continually updated and there are periodic updates.

If you are talking about version 5.0 - As has been asked before, when it is ready, there has been lots of speculation but no firm date, but you will hear about it here first.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Iso-G

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 03:58:35 PM »
A couple of semi-official comments:

- it is not realistic to think about Q3 this year. End of the year would be great, but it is not guaranteed in any way. We definitely don't want to rush it.

Oh, I missed the thread.
Thank you very much, Rumpelstiltskin.

Sesame

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 04:09:01 PM »
No problem, Iso-G.  I happened to come across the thread only yesterday and, otherwise, I could have missed it, too.  ;D

Also, as DavidR pointed out, the date is not fixed even the post is "semi-official."