Author Topic: No mail scanner..?  (Read 3045 times)

rossmart34

No mail scanner..?
« on: July 18, 2008, 09:29:34 PM »
Hey everyone. I'm new here. I have been wondering about my e-mail scanner and whether or not it's working... After reading a few posts here, it's obvious--it isn't working.

My e-mail account (my main one I want scanned is from hotmail) My wife and I have several e-mail accounts on this pc but we use them for very specific things: road runner is only for support from or internet/cable provider; yahoo is for friends; and, hotmail is for business.

Neither of us is very computer savvy, we only use our pc for video editing really--that's our side job.

I have some questions, and, I really hope you guys will excuse our lack of knowledge here...but we could really use some help.

We use Windows XP Home Edition and Avast 4.8 Pro.

*Can I get the Avast to scan our hotmail? I get no icon in the tray and no messages/headers in my e-mails.*

I can't even find the e-mail wizard... I saw in another post that I should go to Start>Programs>Avast!>Mail Wizard; but, when I go to the Avast! thing it only shows the Avast! itself and help files?

*Should we switch to Mozilla mail (is it Thunderbird?) and can someone help us get it configured? I would be really really grateful and I would also make a video showing how I did it using my Camtasia Studio screen recording app to help others in the future.

Thank you.

onlysomeone

Re: No mail scanner..?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 09:50:02 PM »
how do you check your mails?
via the browser (online) or do you download the mails with any program - which program do you use?

rossmart34

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 09:59:57 PM »
We check mail online, we use Fire Fox 3 as our web browser.

Our entire set-up is: Windows XP; Mozilla Fire Fox 3; Avast 4.8 Pro; Spy Bot Search and Destroy; Comodo Firewall.

This may sound strange but, aside from shooting/editing/custom-DVD-burning local event footage (like weddings and such) we also receive video files (not too large) from people who want them edited and effects added before burning them to DVD or sending them back for posting on YouTube. It was meant to be a hobby/side job but it's getting pretty crazy now...lots and lots of e-mails. That's why I only recently really began wondering about the e-mail scanner.

I've used Avast for a while but, sad to say, only recently began studying it.

onlysomeone

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 10:20:56 PM »
well, if you check them on-line neither the internet mail-scanner nor the outlook/exchange service check your mails - your mails are checked by the web-shield service and you don't really see a message (an entry) in your mail, that it is scanned --> if you doubleclick the avast "a"-symbol and you click on details, you see - if you choose web-shield in the left column - that the hotmail page gets scanned when you check your mails... so you should be secure although...

i hope this is what you meant...
if not just ask again (i sometimes understand things wrong :) )

rossmart34

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 10:49:14 PM »
Okay. It makes sense.

I checked my web shield and it shows several entries scanned, the last being avast forums.

I do have one question, if you don't mind?

On the Exceptions tab, it shows a box (at the bottom) that says MIME types to exclude and lists:

audio/*
image/gif
image/png
text/css
video/*

If I remove the video and text/css from the exceptions list, will it scan them? All I know for sure is that mp3 cannot carry a virus, right? But I read somewhere about "backdooring" flash video to run something not intenede to be run by the recipient. I have no idea if that would work in my case (I sometimes receive .flv files from people who want video editing done without loss of quality so, should I remove these from the exceptions list? If I am way off base here just tell me.

And thank you very much for taking the time to help me out here. I really appreciate it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 11:01:10 PM »
It would scan them. The reason they are excluded by default is that a) they are or can be scanner intensive, which could slow your browsing and b) they are of limited risk.

Don't forget you also have the Standard Shield as a back-up, so I would say leave well alone.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rossmart34

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 11:26:33 PM »
Okay you got it.

Thanks again for all the input.

Really set me at ease here.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 01:12:33 AM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security