Author Topic: Avast! & A-Squared Anti-Malware  (Read 14153 times)

YoKenny

Re: Avast! & A-Squared Anti-Malware
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 02:30:23 PM »
My win defender came preinstalled and I disabled it and now use spyware terminator and avast with no problems at all. system run smoothly and I use XoftSpySE and a on demand backup.
XoftSpySE is from ParetoLogic

Please read:
http://anti-spyware-review.toptenreviews.com/xoftspy-review.html
Summary

XoftSpy by ParetoLogic is fairly powerful, easy-to-use software, but its poor detection abilities coupled with an unflattering number of false positives lowered its overall ranking.

By the way, if you install hpHosts file it blocks ParetoLogic site:
http://hosts-file.net/?s=Download

gdiloren

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 04:39:24 PM »
Thank you all for your comments, points of view, information, and suggestions.

I`ve still not decided what to do about this yet. It goes without saying, of course, that whatever else happens Avast! stays. It has saved my bacon too many times to ever consider replacing it. (Thank you ALWIL).

"I have the A-Squared free version which I can continue to update and use as an on-demand scanner. I think it`s pretty good (despite the occasional false positive), even though it lacks a lot of the functions of A-Squared Anti-Malware in the real-time scanning department."

In fact, until now, A-squared anti-malwares is doing a lot of FP. It's unpleasant...! :-[

wyrmrider

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 05:39:59 PM »
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-trojan-scanner-trojan-remover.htm

a-squared is good for a final clean up on an infected system or if you think trojans are involved
it is not a general purpose anti-spyware or anti adware product
using it as such could let many things pass

you could also try the free trial of Trojan Hunter
http://www.anti-trojan-software-reviews.com/review-trojan-hunter.htm

how the real time portion of A-squared works on general issues is something we should pursue in the a-squared forum to get a larger cross-section of users
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 05:43:10 PM by wyrmrider »

Offline havildar

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 06:14:24 PM »
The best way to check if an anti-spyware program was all it claimed to be or just another outfit ruthlessly determined to make money was the Spyware Warrior site:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

The problem is, of course, that it has not been updated since May 2007, but why this should be since there would seem to be as many rogue anti-spyware programs as ever, I don`t know.

The latest one causing trouble by inviting the user to run a free scan, claiming hundreds of spywares which you will have to pay to remove, then refusing to be uninstalled is "XP Antispyware 2008".

It`s so easy to be tricked or perhaps scared into thinking these damn things are genuine.
Windows XP Sp3 Home desktop, Windows 10 Pro laptop, Avast 17.8.2318 Free , Malwarebytes Anti-malware (free), SpywareBlaster. SuperAntispyware, WOT. Firefox Quantum.

wyrmrider

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 11:32:45 PM »
Of course Trojan Hunter adn A=Squared are the real things

A-squared publishes a list of the trojans it deals with
if a trojan is on the list A-squared works well
as I said it's not a general purpose anti spyware or anti adware scanner

Offline havildar

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 12:16:29 AM »
Point taken wyrmrider,

I should have made it clear I was not referring to A-Squared, Trojan Hunter, SUPERantispyware or any other of the well-known and trusted programs but rather to the three hundred and forty-nine applications listed as rogue anti-spyware on the Spyware Warrior site.

I was trying to say that the good ones are very heavily outnumbered by the bad, and that this seems to be a field in which opportunities for sharp practice and deceitful advertising abound.   
Windows XP Sp3 Home desktop, Windows 10 Pro laptop, Avast 17.8.2318 Free , Malwarebytes Anti-malware (free), SpywareBlaster. SuperAntispyware, WOT. Firefox Quantum.

wyrmrider

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 02:22:45 AM »
point well taken
the baddies are very good with their social engineering to get you to click on their warze
Xp Antivirus 2008  what a great name

Mike Buxton

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 01:49:14 PM »
Hi havildar and Avast readers and writers,

I have been using Avast Home for some two months and a-squared Free for 23 months.
I find both programs excellent and I have recommended both programs to others.I have
had very few (probably less than 10) FPs in all that time, but perhaps that is more of a
reflection on my computer habits as I have no idea what other folk have experienced.

I see that today the number of a-squared malware signatures is an impressive 1,449,665.

A-squared will perform a Quick Scan (of all active programs, spyware traces and tracking
cookies) in just under two minutes, though I normally perform a Custom Scan on my "C:\"
partition three or four times a week. The scan time, in my case, is similar to that of Avast.

Support for a-squared Anti-Malware and a-squared Free will end on 31st December this
year for those with Windows 98, ME and 2000: for those with later Operating Systems I
would suggest trying a-squared Anti-Malware (especially with any year's free subscription).

http://forum.emsisoft.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=3567 links to havildar's post here.

My regards      

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 03:57:51 PM »
I have been using Avast Home for some two months and a-squared Free for 23 months.
I find both programs excellent and I have recommended both programs to others.I have
had very few (probably less than 10) FPs in all that time, but perhaps that is more of a
reflection on my computer habits as I have no idea what other folk have experienced.
My experience is not good... too many false positives, a very very poor restoration feature... no, thanks, a-squared no more.
Another manufacturer that is dropping old OS support...
The best things in life are free.