Author Topic: RE Threatfire and Avast  (Read 2947 times)

maybeok0

RE Threatfire and Avast
« on: July 20, 2008, 05:50:02 AM »
I just used the Threatfire "Full Scan"  and received  notification of the "Virus" =    Trojan.PWS.IcqSmiley.A     =

It showed was located in the Zipped file "Free Mail Password ID" as downloaded to my drive "C:/ My Program" folder

The Program as downloaded was from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mailpv.html

After using the "Threartfire"  I did not Quarantine or removed same from computer [In other words all was available]

Using Avast Home 4.8 [with all latest updates installed] I did a "Through Scan" for viruses and Avast came back all clean"?

Your comments please

wyrmrider

Re: RE Threatfire and Avast
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 07:30:24 AM »
submit the file to virustotal
you can also google it
you could schedule an Avast boot time scan  rt click on the ball to schedule
do you have any other anti-spyware scanners available you could try?
Malware Bytes anti malware
Spybot search and destroy
etc?
if google references looks suspicious or virustotal comes back positive quarantine- do not delete
post back here

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: RE Threatfire and Avast
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 02:54:17 PM »
You didn't say if in that thorough scan you selected the scan Archives, if not it wouldn't have been scanned as they are inert.

Archive (zip, rar, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned.

You can try a right click explorer context menu (ashQuick.exe) scan which is the most thorough scan it will scan everything selected and use all unpackers for archives and see if it is detected.

Off the link that you gave is this:
Known Problems
False Alert Problems: Some Antivirus programs detect Mail PassView utility as infected with Trojan/Virus.

So it may be that avast is treating it correctly whilst Threatfire isn't ???
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security