Author Topic: ThreatFire, now PC Tools AntiVirus Included  (Read 14244 times)

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
ThreatFire, now PC Tools AntiVirus Included
« on: July 20, 2008, 09:24:24 PM »
if anyone interested  :-\
http://www.threatfire.com/updates/
MW

drhayden1

Re: ThreatFire, now PC Tools AntiVirus Included
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 10:04:44 PM »
but can you run it along side avast with no conflict...if not-no thanks ??? ::) ;)
and doesn't avast have most of that protection included-so why need 2 of almost the same-avast being the better of course ;)
ThreatFire is zero-day security software designed for the average consumer. ThreatFire protects in real-time against viruses, worms, trojans, spyware, adware, rootkits, keyloggers, and buffer overflows -----It is designed to be used alongside your current antivirus to protect you between antivirus updates---- Because it is behavior-based and not signature-based, ThreatFire protects against both known and unknown, or zero-day, threats. It is easy to install, painless to use, and immediately effective against today's computer security threats.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 10:11:45 PM by drhayden1 »

Rafel

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 10:27:33 PM »
I run COMODO FW. I don't need this product :D

drhayden1

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 11:38:54 PM »
I run COMODO FW. I don't need this produc
also use comodo so i guess i don't either ;)
and avast!of course also use ;D
so why do we need it ::) ???

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 06:26:21 AM »
I've been using Threatfire 3.5 alongside avast! 4.8 on XP since April and on Vista HB for the last month with no apparent conflicts. If you're already using the HIPS in Comodo FW 3.0 then adding another behaviour analysis program is unnecessary.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

johnny223

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 02:53:15 AM »
Looks pretty promising.
How good is this threatfire software? Looks like it works with Avast, but does it slow down the system a lot on XP? ???

drhayden1

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 03:40:19 AM »
i just installed threatfire and in my control panel-security panel-under virus protection
windows finds more than one antivirus program on your computer and at least one reports that it is currently up to date and virus scanning is one.....isn't that conflicting with avast! or not ??? ::)
don't have any others previous installed before-just avast and now threatfire ???

below from their threatfire tutorial....
can I use ThreatFire can I uninstall my antivirus protection?
Since no single application is currently foolproof, PC Tools believes that a layered defense provides the most complete protection. ThreatFire is the perfect complement to your existing antivirus, and will protect you between antivirus updates.
It is fully compatible with traditional antivirus programs, and can run side-by-side with these programs without conflict. While the traditional programs will protect only against known threats included in their signatures, ThreatFire goes beyond and protects against new or unknown zero-day threats as well.
ThreatFire also includes the on-demand scanning engine from PC Tools AntiVirus. This provides the perfect combination of on-demand scanning available in traditional antivirus with the cutting edge behavioral-based protection provided in ThreatFire for a powerful and comprehensive defense.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:26:38 AM by drhayden1 »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 04:30:14 AM »
I've tried four behaviour blockers. The HIPS in SpywareTerminator, D+ in Comodo3 series, Threatfire, and OA firewall.
Currently using TF alongside Avast. The only problem, and it's more an irritation than a problem, is that the Avast GUI is a little slow to respond when TF is active. (Reported here, and at the PCTools fori.)

I find it very good, frequent updates, few warnings, (mostly alerts for things I do with other software which are actually OK), and low resource use. No noticeable web slowdown.

As to the other 3 I've tried, that's another story.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

drhayden1

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 04:43:37 AM »
thanks....the only concern i have is what i posted above.....
i just installed threatfire and in my control panel-security panel-under virus protection
windows finds more than one antivirus program on your computer and at least one reports that it is currently up to date and virus scanning is one

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 04:57:44 AM »
Not 100% sure, but I believe no conflict.
The TF application is a blocker and uses the AV-based database so as to target known malicious processes.
It would seem likely to me that there would be some overlap - perhaps a great deal - between its' database and that of Avast.
As to what would happen if they both detected the same malicious process starting to run at the same time...no idea, sorry. I'm only going by the info (which you've also seen) at the TF site.
I have the same security centre message. TF is recognized by the security centre by virtue of that blacklist.
I've just run a test with the 1st eicar test file. No alerts from TF, but Avast does as expected.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 05:49:42 AM »
windows finds more than one antivirus program on your computer and at least one reports that it is currently up to date and virus scanning is one.....isn't that conflicting with avast! or not ??? ::)

The "Security Centre" wouldn't know AV conflict if it jumped out in front of it wielding a revving chainsaw!
It's primary purpose is to give comfort and reassurance by calmly reporting to you that all is well... and that for all Windows knows, one of your 2 AV programs may well have just been "killed" by a trojan!  :o ;D

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 05:51:23 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

drhayden1

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 12:24:03 PM »
Ok Thanks Tarq57 & Vladimyr For The Info ;)

Macintosh

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 12:38:38 PM »

The "Security Centre" wouldn't know AV conflict if it jumped out in front of it wielding a revving chainsaw!
It's primary purpose is to give comfort and reassurance by calmly reporting to you that all is well... and that for all Windows knows, one of your 2 AV programs may well have just been "killed" by a trojan!  :o ;D

Can any trojan kill avast antivirus :o :)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 12:48:14 PM »
Can any trojan kill avast antivirus
I'd doubt it, unless possibly the self protection module was disabled by the user.
Never say never, though.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 01:50:46 PM »
Can any trojan kill avast antivirus :o :)
Any? No.
None? No either. There are some variants of Bagle/Beagle that could kill avast even with self-defense module on. They had to choose between a harder protection and user comfort with some legit functions in the computer.

Hmmm... Threatfire gave me problems in the past, now it's being reported as a full antivirus... something is telling me that will have problems again, at drivers/services level... not sure...
The best things in life are free.