Author Topic: ThreatFire, now PC Tools AntiVirus Included  (Read 14216 times)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: ThreatFire, now PC Tools AntiVirus Included
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 03:42:51 PM »
I suspect that Novatix/PC Tools may be in a "Catch 22" over Threatfire being recognized by Windows Security Centre as an AV. If it isn't, people who use it as their main or sole protection will get worried. Some nod their heads as if they understand when you tell them it detects malicious files according to their behaviour... and then ask why it doesn't catch 'eicar.com'.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

drhayden1

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 03:45:14 PM »
http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/securitycenter/index.htm
so i won't see the 2 being there in the security center i just disabled it ::) 8) :D

click on bottom pic to enlarge ::)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 03:49:10 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 03:50:18 PM »
so i won't see the 2 being there in the security center i just disabled it ::) 8) :D
If you don't care of having that, why did you disabled it? Just ignore it... let the two of them there...
The best things in life are free.

drhayden1

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 03:53:59 PM »
If you don't care of having that, why did you disabled it? Just ignore it... let the two of them there...
paronoid maybe-i don't know-but the two-avast and threatfire are working great together-no conflict i can tell ::) ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 03:55:49 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 08:08:28 PM »
Hi Dan,

The only important thing to consider in this is that you do not have two resident anti-virus programs running together on one box. If you have one resident and another non-resident or one resident and several non-resident av or anti-malware solutions there is generally no conflict. There is an exeption to this rule of thumb by the name of Panda, because Panda signatures can be taken for malware by Avast, which is Panda's fault. I run avast together with ClamAV, TrendMicro RUBotted, and Comodo BoClean. Additionally I have SAS, and a-squared on demand and ewido micro on demand. Furthermore on a seperate USB stick I have the latest version of DrWebCureIt ready, also non-residental and a very fast additional scanner.
I think that is enough.
The answer on your question can be found here. Threatfire is a resident scanner, but non-signature dependant:
"ThreatFire 3.5 is a Antivirus Software product from threatfire.com, get 4 Stars SoftSea Rating, ThreatFire (formerly CyberHawk) provides behavior-based security monitoring to protect you from malicious programs such as Trojans, viruses, malware and other threats without relying on any signature updates. It can (should) be used along with your regular anti-virus software or firewall, adding an additional level of security to your system. The software works by continuously analyzing the behavior of processes and programs on your system and immediately alerts you if it detects any suspicious actions - you can then decide whether to allow or block the activity. ThreatFire comes ready-to-use and does not require any difficult configuration, however it also offers flexible rule settings that allow advanced users to customize the protection. The license of this antivirus & security software is Freeware, you can free download and free use this Antivirus & Security software."

So the answer to your question, Dan, my friend, is to be found above in italics,

Damian
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

drhayden1

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 11:01:18 PM »
thanks damian for that long explanation...like the software-only thing i don't like is it being recognized as i posted before-as having 2 antivirus programs being detected in the security center ??? ;)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 11:18:45 PM »
Hi Dan,

I can follow your line of reasoning there, two av scanners, OK, but the point here is one is an actual one resident with real signatures data to detect or interact, the other Threatfire is also resident, but with a different aspect that it does not work in the traditional way of normal resident AV scanners (it only checks the processes and thoroughly when a new program is launched and checks it later also for changes in these process patterns produced initially. But they can go along, take M$ word for it as well. They say it upfront in their explanation of what the tool does that it can run along any other normal resident av scanner.

Damian

The only nag with Threatfire is that it can be CPU consuming for some in the initial phase of it running...
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 11:39:56 PM »
I really wish that avast has a zero-day protection... I'm tempted to use a tool for that, but ThreatFire caused me a lot of troubles with Firefox extensions and software functions...
The best things in life are free.

drhayden1

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 02:10:24 PM »
i took threatfire after reading some of the posts here
thanks all ;)