Author Topic: Optical Mouse In the House  (Read 14726 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Optical Mouse In the House
« on: July 20, 2008, 09:56:59 PM »
So, after 7 and a half years with this same Original Gateway Mouse, I finally broke down today and bought a new Ativa Optical Mouse.  My Mouse HAD been sluggish for a long time, but this past week it was REALLY an erratic Mess.  The Cursor jumping around all on its own and stuff being clicked on all on its own.  My computer locking up in the process.

So, I went to Office Depot and bought this Optical Mouse.  I had never had an Optical Mouse before.  But, it said on there and the Sales Dude also told me, "It's Plug & Play."  It did have the option of plugging it in the Regular Mouse Port with the Adapter ... or in the USB Port without the Adapter.  I decided to try the USB option, just in case a flakey Mouse Port had been my actual problem.  I power up my computer.  I then see that a Driver Database is being generated.  I was like, "Cool!  Right on schedule."  But, then I get prompted  - WHERE do I want the Wizard to LOOK for the Driver?  I was like, "What the ....?  What do you MEAN?  I thought Plug & Play meant Plug & PLAY?"  My options were:
(1)  Floppy Drive
(2)  CD ROM
(3)  Windows Update
(4)  Select alternate path (Or something along those lines.)

I don't have any Floppy with Drivers.  I don't have a genuine Windows CD.  I only have my 3 Gateway System Restore CDs, which during Windows Reinstalls when I get prompted for the Windows 98SE CD, I even have to Cancel out of that portion because the process won't accept my Gateway CD # 2 (Which has Windows) as a substitute for the genuine Windows 98SE CD that it specifically wants.  So, I doubt this Mouse Wizard would accept any of my Gateway CDs as a source for finding the Mouse Driver.  Windows Update?  As if!  Windows 98SE is no longer supported.  Alternate Path?  And pray tell what exact path would THAT be?

In the beginning when I powered up the computer and a Driver Database was supposedly built ... does the Optical Mouse have a Chip in it that had the Driver?  Where ... what path SHOULD I have chosen to find this Driver?  Could I have just typed in: C:\Windows and the Mouse Wizard would find this Driver?

Luckily I got the Optical Mouse to work by slapping back on the Adapter and connecting it to the Regular Mouse Port.  It's working fine now.  Very Sssssssmooth and Fast!  But, I'm still curious for future purposes and just for knowledge in general ... what path would I have the Mouse Wizard look for the Driver for use with the USB Option?

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 10:02:11 PM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Optical Mouse In the House
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 10:33:36 PM »
Try the manufacturer's website for a driver, if you didn't get a CD with the mouse.

No, on second thoughts, don't bother, if it's working: Why use up a USB port?

I haven't had a mouse so far that Windows or Ubuntu didn't recognise on USB straight away: Logitech, Genius, Trust. Never heard of Ativa, though.

Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 10:52:41 PM »
Try the manufacturer's website for a driver, if you didn't get a CD with the mouse.

No, on second thoughts, don't bother, if it's working: Why use up a USB port?

I haven't had a mouse so far that Windows or Ubuntu didn't recognise on USB straight away: Logitech, Genius, Trust. Never heard of Ativa, though.

Well, I DO have Windows 1898SE  ;D
Another thing that might come into play is ... as I mentioned in my previous Post, my Gateway System Restore from those 3 CDs has always had a flaw, NOT that Gateway ever admitted to it.  Somewhere in there, I am prompted for the Genuine Windows 98SE CD. I don't have that.  Never did.  It wasn't supplied with my computer when I bought it.  And the prompt will NOT take the Gateway CD # 2, which has Windows in it.  It wants the REAL Deal.  All I've ever done in that portion of the Windows Reinstalls is to Click on Cancel.  I can tell it's getting ready to load some CAB Files.  So, I'm sure a LOT of Files do NOT get loaded.  So, my computer has always been operating handicapped with who knows what all Files, Functions, Capabilities MISSING!  Who knows if the current Mouse Driver for the USB option could have been in those Files that never get loaded.  It's a WONDER that my computer has lasted 7 and a half years when it doesn't even have a FULL Files Arsenal at its disposal.

You know ... this now brings up a question into my mind.  I don't have a USB Flash Drive yet.  I wonder if I'm going to run into the SAME problem the day that I get one?  Will the USB Flash Drive ALSO be looking for some particular Driver ............ that likely won't exist in my computer?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 10:55:35 PM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 11:05:38 PM »
If you live in the stone age, expect to have to chase animals with bits of shrpened stone bound to twigs with animal gut.  ::)
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 11:14:53 PM »
The salesman was both right and wrong, under XP it more than likely would be plug and play, however under win98 you will most likely require a driver.

There would almost certainly have been a CD with the mouse that contains drivers for win98, or at least I would have though so. That is where you point the wizard at to search for the driver.

Using the USB to PS2 adaptor means it will use windows legacy mouse driver, so if there are any additional function buttons, etc. they won't normally work. If your happy with it as it is no problem, otherwise you will need to install the driver.

win98 was pre usb flash drives and the usb ports on your system are likely to be version 1.1 (sloooow) where the latest usb sticks are usb 2.0 (but should be backwards compatible with 1.1), so yes you are likely to experience fun with modern hardware and Fred & Whilma98 OS.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 11:34:25 PM »
You know ... this now brings up a question into my mind.  I don't have a USB Flash Drive yet.  I wonder if I'm going to run into the SAME problem the day that I get one?  Will the USB Flash Drive ALSO be looking for some particular Driver ............ that likely won't exist in my computer?

Yes you will. My wife has a win98se Laptop and finding a flash drive to transfer files between it and my Vista system was a pain. My advice, read the package, it will say if it is compatible with win98. If it is, you'll more than likely have to go to their web site and download a driver.

Here's the one I found:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6014597

And here's the driver:

http://www.edgetechcorp.com/support/products/portable-drives/usb-flash-drive/style1-after-12-03.asp
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 05:24:24 AM by marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 11:35:34 PM »
I bought one of those Ativa optical mice a few months ago at Office Depot, it was on clearance for $5.  Model (item) #789-104.

When I plugged it into a USB port it did a very quick search for drivers or something.  If you want to use a USB flash drive on WD 98, you need to download drivers if no floppy or cd.  Ativa may have drivers for download.

It didn't come with a cd nor floppy. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 01:49:15 AM by rdmaloyjr »

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 12:00:44 AM »
If you live in the stone age, expect to have to chase animals with bits of shrpened stone bound to twigs with animal gut.  ::)
with bear feet and heavy animal skin clothing ;D

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 12:21:20 AM »
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Rafel

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 12:43:19 AM »

My first PC had this system,hahaha.
Sometimes ago, i worked in a very very very little company,hahaha, i must to install drivers for pen dries, because they didn't know why their pens don't run in company's computers.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 01:21:09 AM »

with bear feet and heavy animal skin clothing ;D

Yep, that's about how it goes.  But, Hey!  If the Professor on the TV Show Gilligan's Island can make a Radio out of a pair of Coconuts or whatever it was ... then maybe I can make a Win98 USB Drive out of a Lemon, a Paper Clip, a Piece of Gum and ... and Okay.  So it HAS become apparent that a genuine Plug & Play USB Flash Drive for Win98 will probably be more of a Plug & Wrestle & Scavenger Hunt for a Driver & then Play.   ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 01:25:06 AM »
Win98 was some years down the track from my first computer.

I remember the joys of windows for workgroups version 3.11 and that wasn't my first computer by a few years either.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 01:27:53 AM »
Maybe this will help:
http://mysharedfiles.no-ip.org/Win98 USB drivers

Okay, I'm seeing 2 Files on there.  Is there any way to see DETAILS regarding each?  Are those possbilities to work with the specific Ativa Model AT-MS 180 Optical Mouse that I bought?  Or are they both or one of those Drivers supposed to work with ANY USB Mouse that you plug into a Win98 computer?  Or are they for Flash Drives?

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 08:41:02 AM »
Hi chim

The files Bob3160 posted are USB mass-storage drivers, no good for your mouse.  :'(

I'm surprised too that you've lasted so long without 98SE installation files. Are you completely sure there's no folder full of CAB files in some obscure location on your drive(s) called 'win98' or something? (I actually threw out a few 98SE CDs recently ::))

If you really want to solve this, restart the PC with both mice plugged in. When you're prompted for location of the driver files for the USB mouse, use the old mouse to navigate to c:\windows\inf (it doesn't really matter where but hey!.. they might even be there after all! ;D).
When/if Windows fails to find the file it is looking for, it should show you the name of the missing file. Open a browser and search online for that name 'til you find somewhere to download it from, e.g. 'driverguide' (you may have to register). Save the file to the location you originally pointed the installer to and retry. It should find the file this time and will nowe prompt you for another. My recollection is that you'll have to repeat this 4 to 6 times for each file required.

Alternatively, if someone else knows the names of the files I can zip them and attach them to a post.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 08:43:06 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 06:14:06 PM »
Hi chim

The files Bob3160 posted are USB mass-storage drivers, no good for your mouse.  :'(

I'm surprised too that you've lasted so long without 98SE installation files. Are you completely sure there's no folder full of CAB files in some obscure location on your drive(s) called 'win98' or something? (I actually threw out a few 98SE CDs recently ::))

Oh, Okay.  So I'll nix any experiments with those Drivers.  Thanks, Vladimyr!  I had never plugged in anything else into my computer's 2 USB Ports all this time other than my Epson 880 Printer and the Driver for that is part of the Gateway System Restore CDs, although I have the separate Epson CD for it also.  So, I was always covered there.

If you really want to solve this, restart the PC with both mice plugged in. When you're prompted for location of the driver files for the USB mouse, use the old mouse to navigate to c:\windows\inf (it doesn't really matter where but hey!.. they might even be there after all! ;D).
When/if Windows fails to find the file it is looking for, it should show you the name of the missing file. Open a browser and search online for that name 'til you find somewhere to download it from, e.g. 'driverguide' (you may have to register). Save the file to the location you originally pointed the installer to and retry. It should find the file this time and will nowe prompt you for another. My recollection is that you'll have to repeat this 4 to 6 times for each file required.

Trust me, when I found myself STUCK with a Non-working Mouse and the Mouse Wizard prompting me for something I had no clue about, the thought DID cross my mind, "MAN!  I wonder if I could possibly have both Mice connected so that I can explore with the working Mouse to see if I can somehow find something with which to pacify the Mouse Wizard."

Ahhh, DriverGuide, Eh?  I did wind up there yesterday.  I meant to post up my inquiry as to whether DriverGuide was legit and SAFE.  IS it?

So am I understanding correctly?  There won't be some conflict ... my Windows 98SE won't Freak Out with 2 Mice connected?  I won't get some big Blue Screen Error Message?  I take it that's because one of the 2 Mice won't be working at the time?  But, under normal circumstances, if one plugged in a working Regular Port Mouse and a working USB Mouse, conflict WOULD ensue, right?