Author Topic: Avast Pro and Firefox Updates  (Read 2854 times)

Littlemutt

Avast Pro and Firefox Updates
« on: July 19, 2008, 10:06:48 PM »
Hello, I'm an avid tester of Firefox and run only trunk-builds.  Trunk builds are 'bleeding edge' stuff, but I enjoy testing.   

I've run into what might be an issue that I'm trying to sort out.  The trunk builds have a nightly update feature that allows you get a new build each day.  It seems that for me at least, it no longer works, but hangs and restarts the Firefox application without applying the update.  I have tried new profiles, etc and some regression testing.  I have found that builds from 7/5/2008 work ok, but builds after that no longer update, but fail into an endless loop.  I do have a bug on file with Mozilla, but so far no one else seems to be having any issues. 

I installed the Avast Pro (Trial) on 7/3/2008 and then two days later start having issues.  Coincidence maybe?  I have tried turning off 'all shields' but that made no difference. 

My security setup and system info:
Avast Pro - all default settings
Windows Defender - up to date (and has been also disabled in trying to find the problem, was not the cause)
Vista HP (Home Prem) + SP1 Firewall enabled - no other Firewalls
1.4 ghz AMD Thunderbird Althon CPU
1 gig RAM (old stuff - pc133)
Nividia 7300GT 512meg

I don't really want to remove Avast for a test, as I've done that before when playing with different AV's and found that once I remove the trial you can't go back to the full Pro trial. 

Anyone else here a Firefox tester and use Avast Pro ?? 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Pro and Firefox Updates
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 11:33:49 PM »
I would say co-incidence also, more or less proven as you mention when you effectively disable avast there is no difference.

If you uninstall the pro trial version when you reinstall you would only have 6 or 7 days left as you would have been deemed to have concluded the trial when uninstalling. You could always install the Home version after the next 6/7 days on the pro when you resume.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Littlemutt

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 03:11:34 AM »
Being the incessant tester I am, I bit the bullet and removed the trial of Avast Pro and followed up just in case with your unistaller tool. 

After trying several test builds of Minefield 'trunk' all updates are working normally.  Something either with Minefield, or Avast Pro is not playing nice. 

Thanks for your time... the quest continues for an AV to replace Norton.

wyrmrider

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 07:33:19 AM »
you can try Antivir or avg8
however you will find this board more responsive :)
we can most likely find the problem if you want to stick with AVAST

Littlemutt

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 02:59:16 PM »
I re-installed Avast, and all is well with the update issues.  No idea what happened, but the nightly updates are working just fine. 

Updated to the latest build and all is good also.

Thanks for your time.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 03:16:14 PM »
You're welcome, thanks for the feedback.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security