Author Topic: Viruses in chest...  (Read 10792 times)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Viruses in chest...
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 02:36:42 PM »
Depends. What "start-up" do you mean?
In general terms, Avast should start with Windows, and will from the time it's installed. That's (one of) its default setting. I don't even know if it's possible to change that, nor think its desirable to.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 03:11:05 PM »
If you want to be protected yes avast is a resident on-access anti-virus and it needs to be running.

You don't say what you stopped ?
I suspect ashDisp.exe (which is a user startup item) the avast system tray icon.

There is much to be said for keeping things that start-up on boot to a minimum (I do the same myself), but the exception to this is security applications like your anti-virus (boot-time is a time where viruses load if on your system) and your firewall. So the rule is only absolutely essential applications to be allowed to start on boot after your security applications.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

patsz2

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 03:18:09 PM »
Oh, dear, I am sorry. I had a "senior moment".  I really meant should SUPERAntispyware be running at start up? And I did not change Avast, nor did  I try.
I have a wireless network and a router, or course, so after much consideration I removed my Zone Alarm Firewall.  It made the computer so slow.  I hope the Windows Firewall is sufficient protection considering how we old folks use our computers.

Sorry to have cause your this trouble and thanks again for your wonderfully fast replies and your expertise!!

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 03:25:24 PM »
Superantispyware doesn't really need to run at startup, but the manufacturer's recommendation is that it does, if for no other reason that it has a self protection that only works effectively if it is running.
I agree that it is best not to have too much starting with Windows, and tend to minimize this list myself.
In the end it's up to you. Personally I think you'd have to be a bit unlucky to encounter a situation where a particular malware targeted SAS, and was able to disable it just because it's not running, but I don't really know.
An advantage of having it start with Windows is that the context (right click) menu scan for a file is then always available, and I believe you can also set it to auto update. Might increase the start up time slightly, but probably not by much.

Senior moment? I used to dreeem of senior moments!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 03:32:47 PM »
SAS is an on-demand scanner but it does have a service that runs, this is required if you choose the option to allow it to scans files on-demand via the right click context menu in explorer. If you have no intention of doing that you can disable startup in SAS Preferences.

Whilst the windows XP firewall is usually good at keeping your ports stealthed (hidden) it provides no outbound protection and you should consider a third party firewall. The same is true of your modem/router/firewall it doesn't provide outbound protection (unless it specifically says so).

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

- There are many freeware firewalls such as, Comodo, PCTools Firewall Plus, Jetico, etc. - Zone Alarm free works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface, however, the free version is becoming bloated (as you found) with trial ware and is also crippled as far as outbound protection goes In the Program Control, configuration area, the slider will only goes as far as Medium protection, if you want more you have to buy the Pro version.

See A Forum discussion on free firewalls http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30808.0
See http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 03:38:20 PM »
Oh, by the way, having a two way firewall like ZA is important if you do online banking, have credit card info and passwords stored anywhere on the computer etc.
The Windows firewall is very good, stealths all ports, but only works inbound. The idea with outbound protection is that you have control over what is allowed to connect. (This can take some study..figuring out what is legitimate, and what might need further research.)
I use Comodo firewall, version 2.4, and have confidence in it, but to be honest, the popups would probably put the average user off completely. It just gets too tempting to click "allow" to every frequent alert. If this is the likely situation, I reckon you're better off with the XP firewall, and scan regularly with Avast and SAS. There's two very good security softwares, there, and in my limited experience of looking at the logs of infested computers, most are infested because of out of date, vulnerable applications like Java, or a flash player, or  users downloading cracked software. Keeping all applications updated is probably one of the most important things you can do, aside from running a good AV.
If you're interested in that, pay a visit to www.secunia.org , and take the online scan, to get an idea how patched everything on your computer is.

[EDIT] Sorry, x-posted, there. I'd take David's advice.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:40:01 PM by Tarq57 »

patsz2

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 06:02:24 PM »
Thanks, Tarq,

I did the Secunia scan and found I needed to update Real (so I removed it and downloaded Real Alternative and don't know how it works...lol) and FlashPlayer.  Thank you for that site.

Need to think about Firewall...considering banking, etc....

Pat

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 12:24:35 AM »
Real Alternative (and Quicktime alternative) work well. They're basically a trustworthy open source codec pack.
The associated Media Player Classic (latest, and last version) has a reported vulnerability in the rendering of .AVI files.
Don't ask me what that means...I'm not a programmer. But I avoid playing files with an .AVI extension using it.
It should install just like any installable program, Info here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/real_Alternative.htm
Info about the vulnerability here: http://secunia.com/advisories/26806
I use the player, but only use it for trusted files, which is a good enough workaround for me.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:22:35 AM by Tarq57 »

patsz2

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 01:27:26 AM »
Thanks, Tarq!

I already have Quicktime Alt., but when I ran that Secunia scan it found Apple Quicktime!!  I had uninstalled it quite a few weeks ago, ran Revo and got rid of all files that it showed, I did a search.... no files...can't imagine where Quicktime is!!!

I had used Real just for playing my own classical CD's which I downloaded to my computer.  I used Windows Media Player today...could not yet figure out Real Alt.

THANKS!!

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 03:48:48 AM »
Your "Apple Quicktime" is probably in the form of a plugin for the browser. This doesn't necessarily mean you have installed an Apple program, it refers to the proprietary name of the software. (So Quicktime Alternative installs plugins  by Apple. Probably a copyright thing.)
Try a computer search for anything "Apple".
IMO a player that can handle Apple formats (QT, MOV) is worthwhile, because there are a lot of these around. If oyu don't have the plugin, some embedded files in web pages can't be played. Real Player files abound, but seem to be a little less prolific. (Terrible player, the Real. Almost virus-like. Gets in everywhere.)
Available at Secunia is a program called PSI, which is basically the installed version of its online scanner (which I like and use). If this is installed, it can be set to monitor all your programs for patches etc. After it has completed its first scan, you can locate any file you want, by mousing over the file name, and a balloon window will appear giving you the installation path of that software. Kind of handy. It can do more besides that, including  a wizard to streamline/offer guidance for updating all sorts of software, and the range of software it examines is greater than that of the online version.
The program is technically a Beta (RC3) but I haven't had, nor heard of, any problems with it.
There are other software vendors that offer similar programs, Comodo have one, there are probably a few others.

patsz2

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 10:53:22 PM »
Hello...

Me again with a question about these files in the virus chest....is it safe to delete them?  I have had no problems functioning without them and they have been in there for over a month.

Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 11:10:53 PM »
I have had no problems functioning without them and they have been in there for over a month.
Go ahead, you can now delete them...
Just to be sure, right click, scan, certify they're infected (yet) ;)
The best things in life are free.

patsz2

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 03:03:17 AM »
Thank you so very much.

You all surely are quick to respond!

Appreciate it!!

wyrmrider

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 05:01:11 AM »
What tech was implying was to rt click scan them before deleting
implying that if they are now clean that they were false positives
If it turns out that after a month they are still infected I google them to see if they are usually found in context with something else bad

patsz2

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 02:01:12 PM »
Hi,

Yes, I knew to right click them to scan to see if they were clean...they weren't.  Too late to Google check, though, they are gone.  At least, I hope they are!!  Hope I don't need them!

Thanks!