Author Topic: Problem with AshWebSv.exe and AshWebSv.ws.ori  (Read 10839 times)

Mayakashi

Problem with AshWebSv.exe and AshWebSv.ws.ori
« on: July 09, 2008, 06:26:29 AM »
I've run into this problem twice in the past couple of weeks. While web browsing in Firefox, I will abruptly lose all web page connectivity - every new link I try to open results in a page titled "Loading..." that never displays any content. When this happens, the task manager informs me that AshWebSv.exe is using 40-70% of my CPU time (on a 3.2 GHz Core2Duo). I can't end the process - it tells me access is denied - and restarting Firefox yields no improvement, so it seems the only way to fix the situation is by restarting my computer.

The first time this happened, I pretty much restarted my computer immediately and, upon noticing that internet connectivity was restored, thought nothing more of it. The second time, I was about to go to sleep for the night anyway, so I decided to leave it running as it was, thinking it might be doing some kind of scan I hadn't heard of. When I came home from work the next day, I discovered that my C:\ drive had run out of free space. The culprit? An enormous AshWebSv.ws.ori file in Avast4\DATA\log\ that had (presumably) constantly been growing while I was away from the computer.

If I try to delete this file, I get the standard windows "Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use" error message. I've tried disabling the Avast web shield and restarting my computer, but it still refuses to be deleted, so I'm currently out 8 gigs of hard drive space.

I'm running Windows XP SP2, Firefox 2.0.0.15, and Avast 4.8. Any idea what might be causing this, and how I might get rid of this file?

rassel

Re: Problem with AshWebSv.exe and AshWebSv.ws.ori
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 10:58:25 AM »
Wow thats really a big file with 8 gig for only a file. There is a suggestion I can give but only use this if there are no other reply for you. Uninstall avast and then reinstall avast This is the suggestion I given.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 04:40:20 PM »
Temporarily disable the avast self defense module:
1. Right click the 'a' blue icon on system tray.
2. Programs settings > Troubleshooting (tab)
3. Disable self defense module

Temporarily disable WebShield and try to delete the file. Post back the results.
Did you change WebShield logging settings into avast4.ini file?
The best things in life are free.

HighWay

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 04:19:27 AM »

Temporarily disable WebShield and try to delete the file. Post back the results.

I have the same problem and did like you said.  After I disabled the self defense module I could stop process on the ashwebsv.exe.  What can I do to stop this from happening again?  Mod the avast4.ini file?

Mayakashi

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 04:39:14 AM »

I have the same problem and did like you said.  After I disabled the self defense module I could stop process on the ashwebsv.exe.  What can I do to stop this from happening again?  Mod the avast4.ini file?

Same results here. Disabling self defense allowed me to delete that 8 gig file, but I'm also curious as to how to prevent this from happening again.

And no, I haven't modified any .ini files (or much of any other settings, for that matter - it's pretty much at defaults).

Thanks for your help, whatever the case.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 10:21:04 PM »
I'm also curious as to how to prevent this from happening again.
Log files can be their size limit into the Program Settings.
But dump files are automatically generated when avast (or its providers) crashes.

HighWay

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 05:54:40 PM »
I'm also curious as to how to prevent this from happening again.
But dump files are automatically generated when avast (or its providers) crashes.

I am not following you.  Can you explain some more on how to stop this from happening?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 09:15:39 PM »
Right click the 'a' blue icon, Program Settings, Logging. Set the log maximum size.

Files generated automatically by avast (dumps) when it has a problem, crash, etc. can't be controlled by the user, so their size is set by avast itself.

TheDD

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 11:25:13 PM »
i have the same exact problem with AshWebSv.ws.ori, it was 8GB and it took awhile to figure out how to delete it, but after that it happened again and i think i know why. I think its because when i pause or stopped one or all of the Provider on avast! On-Access Scanner the AshWebSv.ws seems to grow crazy.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 12:33:45 AM »
Have you done any tweaking of the Web Shield or avast4.ini to activate logging ?

The reason I ask I have just had a lokk at those files and they are 0KB and 1KB, see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ace2701

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 02:11:01 AM »
I only have an AshWebSv.ws file (0KB) and no AshWebSv.ws.ori file.
I do have an aswMaiSv.ori file (0KB).  Is this good or bad?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 02:42:33 AM »
Files are only there if they have been created because there is a need to write to them. If it isn't there nothing to worry about.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security