Author Topic: Has anyone heard yet??  (Read 24834 times)

Skywarrior

Has anyone heard yet??
« on: July 23, 2008, 01:29:59 AM »
If Avast is going to be repaired so the Opera users can again trust this software to work like before. I see many posts about how it wronged PC's and haven't seen a response  about the cure

Offline davews

Re: Has anyone heard yet??
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 09:26:42 AM »
I think the problems only concern the webshield. I don't use that and have no problems with the latest version and Opera 9.51. Webshield seems pretty pointless when you are using a browser like Opera anyway...

(and you might like to choose a more appropriate title for your thread...)

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 02:24:53 PM »
Webshield seems pretty pointless when you are using a browser like Opera anyway...

Can you explain.
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 03:26:05 PM »
Webshield seems pretty pointless when you are using a browser like Opera anyway...
Indeed, like nightshade said, I don't understand your statement...
Do you really know how WebShield works?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 05:16:27 PM »

Indeed, like nightshade said, I don't understand your statement...
Do you really know how WebShield works?

I could be wrong, but if I had to guess, I THINK that the Poster, davews could conceivably be referring to that Opera ... is NOT the HUGE Main Target for Viruses and other Malware that IE is.

And don't shoot the messenger.  I'm just taking a guess as to what the Poster might have been alluding.  Sure, way less Malware is targeted at Opera & Firefox, but they're NOT immune.

In MY case, I'd like to be able to use the Web Shield with Opera, but when I do, the pages don't quite load in their entirety.  There IS a very much decent, functional rendition of the pages, but I just get irked seeing pages NOT displayed in their entirety.  It just annoys me.  So, I disabled the Web Shield after my brief experiment.  But YES, IF avast! were to fix it to where the Web Shield does work properly with Opera, then YES ... I'm Game.  I'm In.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 10:07:03 PM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 05:38:42 PM »
The browser isn't the target for code injection on web sites having been hacked.

You see many of these in the forums where people are reporting their site is reporting win32:trojan-gen, etc. when they 'know' there is nothing wrong with their site, only to have it pointed out to them that there is code on that page they weren't aware of and their site had been hacked.

That doesn't care if you are using IE, Firefox or Opera, the same as many other iframe exploits, they can run on any browser. The web shield can stop much of that in its tracks, the browser firefox, noscript add-on will stop other code running by default and the user can further take up the slack by running browsers/email clients with limited user rights.

So the web shied plays a role in proactive protection but nothing should be relied on 100% and that includes browsers, Opera or otherwise. Obviously whilst there is an issue with Opera and the web shield until that is resolved it is a moot point.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 05:59:23 PM »
The Opera issue will be resolved in a timely fashion.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline davews

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 08:48:10 PM »
Yes, please don't shoot the messanger...

I was indeed referring to the improved security inherent in using Opera. It is true in this day and age of nasty scripting iFrames that some exploits may work their way through even with Opera, but the On Access scanner will trap all of those. Being internet savvy and playing safe-hex, I have browsed with Opera for many years and never ever seen a virus - and until moving to Avast recently did not have the luxury of a Webshield, F-Prot does not offer that. Maybe 'pointless' is the wrong word, but it is really 'belt and braces'. Obviously somewhat different for your Mr. Average with a house of teenage kids browsing on IE....

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 10:06:07 PM »
The Opera issue will be resolved in a timely fashion.

Thanks
Vlk

Awesome!
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 11:37:34 PM »
Version 4.8.1229 is supposed to solve the problem.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Skywarrior

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 12:50:48 AM »
Version 4.8.1229 is supposed to solve the problem.

Thanks
Vlk
Thanks Vlk, is this out yet or will it be the next one. After fighting the system all day Sunday because of a update, don't much want to have it back.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 12:56:51 AM »
It is available now do a manual program update, right click the avast 'a' icon, select Updating, Program Update.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:08:35 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sded

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 01:05:43 AM »
Verified that the Opera Avatar and attachment display problem is fixed in .1229.  Thanks for the quick response, Avast!-now I can put FF back to bed.  :)

Skywarrior

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 01:50:11 AM »
Installed and I wish thanks those who worked extra hard work on the version. 6 days and patched, "SUPER"

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 02:36:05 AM »
It is available now do a manual program update, right click the avast 'a' icon, select Updating, Program Update.

And this 4.8.1229 is the REAL Deal?   No Beta Testing version?  So you're saying I can update RIGHT NOW and then be able to finally have the Web Shield work properly ... display pages in their entirety on Opera?  Of course, I know I have to perform that Proxy changing bit, of which someone here on the Forum supplied a picture not too long ago.  Yes, I still have that.

Are these the only changes / fixes on this version?  I just want to know whether I need to rush the New Version FYI to my friend if there are other fixes in this New version.  She doesn't have Opera, so if the Opera fix is the only one, then she wouldn't need to jump immediately on the Update.

I didn't see 4.8.1229 on the avast! site as the LATEST Update.  That's why I'm asking about this and whether it is the Real Deal.  Then again, the site was also behind as to the Latest Virus Database Update.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 02:39:13 AM by Chim »