Author Topic: Has anyone heard yet??  (Read 24831 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Has anyone heard yet??
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2008, 02:09:32 AM »
Yes it is a bit buried and I have been requesting for ages that this should be in the right click menu of the avast icon.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2008, 03:50:33 AM »

BTW, what in the wide world of perplexing paradoxes is a Proxy?  And what is a Transparent Proxy? ??? Not having a clue as to what those are certainly doesn't help in me understanding a little bit better how these different avast! modules function.  My eyes glaze over like a couple of Glazed Doughnuts when I read "Proxy" somewhere.   ;D

Please read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server

Happy to help an aspiring new techie :)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2008, 06:13:52 AM »
BTW, what in the wide world of perplexing paradoxes is a Proxy?  And what is a Transparent Proxy? ??? Not having a clue as to what those are certainly doesn't help in me understanding a little bit better how these different avast! modules function.  My eyes glaze over like a couple of Glazed Doughnuts when I read "Proxy" somewhere.   ;D

Please read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server

Happy to help an aspiring new techie :)

Thanks,YoKenny!  I liked the schematic representation.  It's funny that when I made my request for an explanation, elaboration, clarification as to what a Proxy was ........... I HAD actually been thinking, "Can somebody draw me a friggin' PICTURE ... a Windows Paint Illustration of what a Proxy is?"   ;D  So, that Wikipedia illustration helped.  I still have to read that material a couple more times to assimilate the differences between the various types of Proxies.

So, let me see if I am understanding correctly.  The Web Shield would be one of those "Application Program" Proxies as in NOT an actual tangible COMPUTER Server Proxy that you can see and touch.  Sooooo, when it is said that the Web Shield during its scanning of Net Traffic, comes across an element of Malware ... then the Malware is actually already IN your computer, in this ... this Middleman Non-tangible Application Proxy that is the Web Shield, right?  So, the detected Malware is in a Secured Holding Area per se ... in the Web Shield Module, which is INSIDE your computer.  Then by the design of the Web Shield Module, I guess --- the Computer User will be informed to Abort the Internet Connection so as to prevent the Malware from entering the gates of your Browser, correct?

So would it be safe to say that the Web Shield is a simulated Computer Server in between your computer and the Server of whatever website you happen to be accessing at any given time?  If so, then on some level, I wasn't totally off with my original thinking of what the Web Shield was.  I just wasn't aware that the Web Shield involved a simulated Computer Server INSIDE your computer ... instead of physical Servers somewhere away from your computer.

Okay, I'm about to Click on <Post> at which point I'll be risking getting a response telling me I'm STILL Not getting it.   ;D
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2008, 06:31:43 AM »
In terms of most proxies you will encounter in the real world of home computing almost all of them will be programs or as you like to call them simulated servers - that is not a bad term since proxy just means "standing in for" or perhaps "pretending to be" - that isolate you from the servers that really reside outside your system on the Internet.   These proxies in your system take control of the connection between you and http servers (Webshield) or email servers (Internet Mail provider) so that they can isolate and scan the traffic flow while it is still inert and ensure it is safe before it is able to be executed on your system or stored in your computer's file system.     

tls

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2008, 03:16:40 PM »
@ Chim:

Actually, I still contend that there's also a high probability that it could be my Super SLOW AOL Dial Up connection that's the culprit.  Where I used to live before, my AOL consistently connected at 44.4 KB/Sec.  Where I live now, my AOL connects at between 26.4 to 28.8 KB/Sec.  And it's NOT really a Bad Noisy Line.  Some friends' AOL miles away also connects at that same pathetic rate.  So, it's unfortunately the Norm AOL Connection rate around here.  So, conceivably when the Web Shield is enabled and put in the picture, the pathetic slow connection rate is just NOT high enough to overcome an added factor in the equation.

If you're going to use dial-up, at least save some money with http://vtisp.com/ ;D

I've never used vtisp, but it's cheap. ;D

$3.95 per month for 150 hours of access per month, if paying monthly
$39.95 (a $3.33/month rate) for 1 year of 150-hour-per-month access

The disadvantage with using vtisp, other than maybe the 150 hour per month limit, is the need for alternate internet access (a friend's computer maybe) for e-mail support if that should become necessary due to problems connecting. 

The biggest advantage, if you are switching from AOL, is the removal of AOL software from your computer.  My daughter keeps her old (ancient) computer here to check e-mail and do school work occasionally, and eradicating AOL from that 233 MHz Win98se fossil made a huge difference.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2008, 04:01:04 PM »
@ Chim:
The biggest advantage, if you are switching from AOL, is the removal of AOL software from your computer.  My daughter keeps her old (ancient) computer here to check e-mail and do school work occasionally, and eradicating AOL from that 233 MHz Win98se fossil made a huge difference.

Good point tls!

Switching to another ISP that doesn't require IE to be open while using another browser will save a lot of system resources.  The AOL browser really a version of IE.  With only Opera open Chim will no doubt see a big difference in performance.

I once used AOL for my ISP, I had it free for a year.  It was required for internet access to have the AOL browser to be open. 

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2008, 05:25:37 PM »
In terms of most proxies you will encounter in the real world of home computing almost all of them will be programs or as you like to call them simulated servers - that is not a bad term since proxy just means "standing in for" or perhaps "pretending to be" - that isolate you from the servers that really reside outside your system on the Internet.   These proxies in your system take control of the connection between you and http servers (Webshield) or email servers (Internet Mail provider) so that they can isolate and scan the traffic flow while it is still inert and ensure it is safe before it is able to be executed on your system or stored in your computer's file system.     

I have a better understanding now ... NOT 100%, but much better.
It's like if one had their heart set on Pizza Hut Pizza for lunch and then a pouring rain ensued and one didn't want to go out.  So, one calls Domino's Pizza for Delivery.  The Domino's Pizza ends up being the Proxy Pizza ... "Pretending to be ..." --- "Standing in for" Pizza Hut Pizza, right?  Whew!  Glad we cleared THAT up!   ;D
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2008, 06:04:17 PM »
@ Chim:

Good point tls!

Switching to another ISP that doesn't require IE to be open while using another browser will save a lot of system resources.  The AOL browser really a version of IE.  With only Opera open Chim will no doubt see a big difference in performance.

I once used AOL for my ISP, I had it free for a year.  It was required for internet access to have the AOL browser to be open. 

Thanks for the Tips, tls ... rdmaloy!  Yeah, I did immediately notice the disillusioning Warning that if you lose your vtisp Connection, don't even dream of calling them because you're on your own and you'd better have an alternate E-mailing source.  Throw in the 150 hour limit and I was turned off.  I hate limits.  Yeah, I have no doubt that Opera without the AOL Ball & Chain Baggage is bound to be Super FAST, cuz it certainly touts itself as the Fastest Browser on the Planet.   :o
     That Non-friendly, Iffy vtisp Service reminded me of an incident once when I did contemplate replacing AOL.  I had gotten an AT & T Net Service CD in the mail.  I installed it and couldn't get it to work.  I called their Tech Support.  Not surprisingly, the 1st thing the Rep had me do was Wipe Out AOL from my computer.  Then he had me try this and that.  It still didn't work.  I called AT & T again.  The next Rep had me making wholesale changes to my Windows, making me very uncomfortable in the process.  Then it STILL didn't work.  The 3rd Rep decided that I didn't have the latest AT & T software.  He then goes, "You're gonna have to download the latest version of the software for it to work."  I reply, "And just exactly HOW do you propose I do THAT?  You had me Wipe Out my AOL!!!  I now have NO Internet Service!"  The Rep just sheepishly goes, "Oh yeah, that's right.  Sorry about that."  Morons.   ;D  That was the end of my AT & T Net Service experiment.

Hey, I've always been curious.  With an ISP Connection established, what if anything can be done ... without a Browser?  Or is one completely Dead in the Water without a Browser?  It's just that I THINK I vaguely recall, albeit I could be wrong --- AGAIN!   ;D  Wasn't there already Internet Activity BEFORE the 1st Browser came along?  Can one actually search for stuff without a Browser ... as long as an ISP connection is in place?

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2008, 06:35:23 PM »
Hey, I've always been curious.  With an ISP Connection established, what if anything can be done ... without a Browser?  Or is one completely Dead in the Water without a Browser?  It's just that I THINK I vaguely recall, albeit I could be wrong --- AGAIN!     Wasn't there already Internet Activity BEFORE the 1st Browser came along?  Can one actually search for stuff without a Browser ... as long as an ISP connection is in place?
http://www.sciencetext.com/surf-the-web-without-a-browser.html

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2008, 08:59:47 PM »

Hey, I've always been curious.  With an ISP Connection established, what if anything can be done ... without a Browser?  Or is one completely Dead in the Water without a Browser?  It's just that I THINK I vaguely recall, albeit I could be wrong --- AGAIN!     Wasn't there already Internet Activity BEFORE the 1st Browser came along?  Can one actually search for stuff without a Browser ... as long as an ISP connection is in place?

http://www.sciencetext.com/surf-the-web-without-a-browser.html

Whoa!  Web Browsing via the Windows Calculator, Notepad or Paint?  That is Hilarious!   ;D  Okay, so it amused ME anyway.
Little Ninja Hack ... Too Funny!
Hey, is it my misinterpretation, or did that David Bradley who wrote the article, take a HUGE Shot, an Iron-gloved Jab at Windows Vista with that comment about --- "I suspect none of this is possible on Microsoft’s OS downgrade, Vista."
  Downgrade?   Ouch!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 09:03:01 PM by Chim »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2008, 03:27:18 PM »
Chim,

I tried David Bradley's instructions below, it worked with notepad & paint, but not with calculator.

Okay, so how do you open a web browser on a machine with no accessible web browser? It’s simple and takes just three steps:

1. Open Windows Calculator, Notepad, or Paint
2. Hit F1 to open help and click the top-left “query” icon
3. Click the phrase “Jump to URL…” and type in the full address with http:// and hit the enter key

How about you giving it a try? ;D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 03:32:24 PM by rdmaloyjr »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2008, 05:51:11 PM »
Calculator can be used to surf the internet! :)  It was my firewall blocking Calculator from accessing the internet.

Chim,

Try David Bradley's instructions, you may like using Calculator so much that it may become your browser of choice. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2008, 08:34:14 PM »
Calculator can be used to surf the internet! :)  It was my firewall blocking Calculator from accessing the internet.

Awesome!

Chim,

Try David Bradley's instructions, you may like using Calculator so much that it may become your browser of choice. ;D ;D ;D

;D  Alrighty, then.  I see you're auditioning for Jay Leno's gig on the Tonight Show for when he retires next year.

So, does this revolutionary, pioneering, trail-blazing Calculator Browser have Bookmarks, Speed Dial, Tab Browsing and ... and will it work with the avast! Web Shield?  8)

Okay, at first I was afraid to try it for fear that with my quirky computer, such a McGyver-improvised Browser might generate a Physics-defying Time Travel Portal or something and suck me in.  But, I'm curious enough to try it now.  Just one thing stands in the way.  What the blazes is this Query Icon on which I am supposed to click?  what does it look like?  Maybe it doesn't exist in Windows 98SE ... or at least NOT on the march to the beat of its own drum Chim Computer.  I can't seem to find anything that screams - "Query."

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2008, 08:46:37 PM »
Query icon is the question mark.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2008, 09:20:08 PM »
Query icon is the question mark.

I'm IN!  With Windows Paint.
We've got liftoff.  Wikipedia on the screen.   :)
Ehhh, but then afterwards, that Time Travel Portal of which I spoke, almost materialized.  I couldn't close Paint.  It locked up.  Then AOL Freaked Out.  Then I got a Blue Screen.  I ended up having to Reset Button my way out of that experiment.  I don't know.  My system might have already been on the brink of flaking out.  I HAD been trying to get some Net Radio Stations going and things were already slowing down even then.