Author Topic: opera 9.51  (Read 11270 times)

chargers

opera 9.51
« on: July 23, 2008, 04:28:50 AM »
i use firefox,but for the last 3 days i have been trying out opera and beleive it or not i like it alot.it seems faster than firefox 3 on my pc.i might even just make it my new browser of choice.i just wanted to know if im suppose to leave it just like it is after downloading it,i mean, do i leave it on its default settings or what?case when i go to preferences it has alot of settings an its hard to understand.can anyone help me out on this an help me set up opera? thanks i really appreciate it!

gdiloren

Re: opera 9.51
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 04:57:58 AM »
Hmmm. Tried it too this afternoon. Seems a lot faster. Lacks security features like NoScript for example or AD-Block. Running it in SANDBOXIE, hope it does the trick for security. Not sure I'm gone switch though. :P

hollandiain

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 05:12:43 AM »
I've always stayed with Microsoft and have never really understood what the prejudice against IE is about?  I do expect to pay for my computing power and believe it really 'nerdy' that there are those who don't, while seemingly contributing nothing.  How well would Guttenburg's press have been received if no-one had purchased printed books?  Would the telephone have survived without paying subscribers while mobile phones (!) an entire global industry has been founded on being grossly overcharged - are you prepared to give up your mobile?  Meanwhile, in the UK, many millions are prepared to pay extraordinary sums to watch countless rehashed programs that, in many cases, they've already paid for (as citizens) via our TV licence fees - and then we receive adverts thrown in to programming where none were envisaged by the producers or the initial owners of the copyright.

Microsoft give us extrordinary value for money - discuss.

:) Iain.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 05:29:26 AM »
i use firefox,but for the last 3 days i have been trying out opera and beleive it or not i like it alot.it seems faster than firefox 3 on my pc.i might even just make it my new browser of choice.i just wanted to know if im suppose to leave it just like it is after downloading it,i mean, do i leave it on its default settings or what?case when i go to preferences it has alot of settings an its hard to understand.can anyone help me out on this an help me set up opera? thanks i really appreciate it!

Heyyy, there ... Chargers! Welcome to the Opera!
Opera's my favorite Browser.  If you like Opera 9.51, you would have LOVED Opera 9.27.  That was my 1st version of Opera.  I've only been with Opera probably for about ohhh around 3 months I guess.  Opera 9.51 has some Bugs, in case you haven't checked out the Opera Forum.

Anyway, as to your inquiry.  My suggestion would be that if you already like it a lot, take it easy and NOT try to change too much as like I said, 9.51 does have Bugs and you don't want to Wig It Out by making wholesale changes.

I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as some of the Opera Gurus over at the Opera Forum.  So, I kept MY changes simple.  Here are some of the simple changes that I've done to my Opera.
(1)  I HAVE put up some of my Favs on the Speed Dial.

(2)  At View ... Toolbars, I enabled Panels and the Personal Bar.

(3)  From the Panel on the Left Side of the screen, I open up the Bookmarks Panel.

(4)  Tools ... Appearance ... Panels Tab
Check Mark - Select panel toggle at edge of window  This will allow you to with the Little Triangle in the middle of the Left Side of the screen ... Toggle between having the Panel (Bookmarks Panel) Open or having it Closed and thus, Full Screen for site display.

(5)  Tools ... Appearance ... Toolbars
Where it says - Progress Bar, select Pop-up at the bottom.  This will now have a very detailed, more useful Progress Bar pop up at the bottom of pages as they load instead of the much smaller default Progress Bar at the top.

(6)  Tools ... Preferences ... Advanced Tab
Click on History at the Left.  I changed the Disk Cache Size to 100MB, but that's just me.

(7)  I put up 7 of my Favs up on the Personal Bar.

(8)  And now THIS one, should have really been at the top.  It is for me, anyway and for a lot of Opera 9.51 Users.  I don't know about you, but I along with a LOT of Opera Users who began with some other version than 9.50 or 9.51 ... HATE the Default Skin that 9.50 and 9.51 came up with.  A lot of us liked the Default Skin on Opera 9.27 or other versions.  So, if you want to, you can download other Skins from here:

http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/?show=pop

(9) Help ... Community
Hover Cursor over  - Explore
Click on - Forums
Register and Join
You can then get to ask for all sorts of Help at the Opera Browser Forum.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 05:38:23 AM »
Hmmm. Tried it too this afternoon. Seems a lot faster. Lacks security features like NoScript for example or AD-Block. Running it in SANDBOXIE, hope it does the trick for security. Not sure I'm gone switch though. :P

Are you talking about Disabling JavaScript or what?  Cuz that CAN be done.

As for Ad-Block, I believe it does have it.  I remember it was brought up at the Opera Forum and one of the Experts there did explain how to get that going.

And 9.50 and 9.51 do now have Fraud Protection.

You should try checking out the Opera Forum that I suggested to Chargers in my other Post.  You can ask away and someone will help you out with the details of the nitty gritty Under the Hood, Behind the Scenes, Souping Up, Turbo-charging of Opera ideas.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

chargers

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 05:45:23 AM »
thank you chim i used a couple of tips you mentioned.by putting the disk cache up to 100 from the default 20 what does that do ?

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 05:52:15 AM »
thank you chim i used a couple of tips you mentioned.by putting the disk cache up to 100 from the default 20 what does that do ?

When one is Web-browsing / Net-surfing, the Browser Cache is where the details of what it takes to draw / display the websites ... are stored.  Then the next time you access the same websites, Opera will then instead try and get most of those details from the Browser Cache instead of downloading them from the websites you previously accessed.  This makes for FASTER Page Loading.  Of course, details from those pages that have changed since the last time you accessed a website, WILL have to be downloaded from the website.  Bottom line, the Browser Cache makes for FASTER Page Loading of websites you previously accessed and frequently access.  So, by increasing the Cache Size, you make more Space available to store the DETAILS for website displaying.

gdiloren

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 06:17:34 AM »
Thanks chim. When doing internet banking, I set to clear cache each time at closing. Of course, Opera should be better than IE and FF for security reason as it is less in use at the moment being. :o

chargers

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 06:19:46 AM »
so thats ok to switch it from 20 to 100 right?

gdiloren

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 06:24:34 AM »
of course, i did! ;)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 06:27:17 AM »
so thats ok to switch it from 20 to 100 right?

Yes, it's OK.
Different people will have different opinions on this I'm sure.
But, where most of us probably agree is to periodically Empty Out the Cache.  You also don't want it getting Too FULL.  Then it actually starts backfiring and causing Slowdowns.

But, like the reason I think 100 MB for the Cache is OK is because AOL's recommended Cache Size for AOL is 128 MB.  I think usually Windows / IE has it set Higher than that.  But, then AOL has a function in its One-Click Fixes and in its AOL Computer Check Up function whereby the Cache is set to 128 MB.  So, I figure 100 MB is pretty close to 128 MB.  The default of 20 MB would get filled up pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 06:29:37 AM by Chim »

chargers

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 06:48:32 AM »
so dgiloren your an opera user as well?

gdiloren

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 07:04:44 AM »
Yes!!! The more you use it, the more you get to know it, the more you like it. I even installed Dr. Web antivirus link scanner for Opera  and it works, unlike FF although their servers are often busy.http://freedrweb.com/browser/opera/
Anyway I recommend using it sandboxed to avoid any trouble(spyware, malwares and else...), although they are less than FF and especially IE. 8)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 07:19:26 AM by gdiloren »

chargers

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 07:28:05 AM »
gdiloren when i open task manager it says under memory for opera at 208,388 what does that mean?how do you find out if its a memory hog?

YoKenny

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 11:06:30 AM »