Author Topic: Spyware Terminator  (Read 8158 times)

Macintosh

Spyware Terminator
« on: July 22, 2008, 07:07:33 AM »
Is spyware termintor better than Superantispyware and Spybot Search and destroy ??? Spywareterminator also has antivirus protection in it Has anyone tried it :)

Jtaylor83

Re: Spyware Terminator
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:59:15 AM »
It's ClamAV and no I wouldn't try it because two anti-viruses can conflict.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 11:21:33 AM »
Been a long time since I tried it. It was pretty good, at the time of its release possibly the only free resident antispy.
In some ways superior to Spybot, in many ways probably not superior to Superantispyware.
One of those ways was what I perceived to be the developers prioritizing of the toolbar marketing at the expense of the program quality.
(The toolbar is Crawler's, installed under the marketing guise of "Web Security Guard", a kind of browser add-on a bit like SiteAdvisor. Nothing wrong with it if you don't mind toolbars, however.)
I uninstalled it some time ago. There have been a number of updates since then. If the configuration hasn't changed, installation of the Clam AV and WSG components is totally optional. I've used the Clam in the past, didn't conflict with Avast. But IMO it's not necessary, and I don't recommend it (the integrated AV, that is.)
Try the program out. Be advised that if you activate the HIPS feature, you'll need to learn how to answer popups about the innermost workings of Windows. Not a bad learning to undertake.
The forum is helpful. There are quite a few experienced and knowledgeable users, some hangers on, and a few wannabes.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Happy-Dude

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 03:24:53 PM »
I actually recommend this program, but I found it's HIPS and Realtime protection annoying (mostly because of the HIPS though, afterwards, it should be alright). I just didn't spend my time with that.

When you install it, and if you want a "third" layer, check ClamAV BUT DISABLE IT'S REALTIME !! You can run the Spyware Terminator realtime (if you don't have something like Windows Defender), but if your running Avast!, definately disable ClamAV and use it ONLY for ON-DEMAND scanning.

Well, that's my two cents. I recommend this program, but you gotta know what you are doing.

P.S.- Remember to check out with you want their Web Security somethings ... It's a toolbar for the browser, and I don't like toolbars ...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 03:57:21 PM »
The best? Hmmm... will be an endless story...
There are pros and cons on any of them. I have the three ones as on-demand scanners (not resident).
ClamAV won't conflict in Vista (not sure in XP). But I think you will only decrease your performance and, possibly, has conflicts. The ClamAV detection rate is not good.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Free your soul and let it fly
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 12:50:05 AM »
Just reading through this post when you said
"The ClamAV detection rate is not good." Tech?  I would have to agree I believe the last time
I heard anything on ClamAV's detection rate is that it missed like 80% of all the malware thrown at it thats really poor I would say.
Avast!  2014 beta - Sandboxie - K9 Web Protection

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 01:06:57 AM »
Just reading through this post when you said
"The ClamAV detection rate is not good." Tech?  I would have to agree I believe the last time
I heard anything on ClamAV's detection rate is that it missed like 80% of all the malware thrown at it thats really poor I would say.
If we want to be fair, yes, it's very poor detection rate.

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Free your soul and let it fly
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 02:28:44 AM »
Just trying to be completely truthful tech, no offense
Avast!  2014 beta - Sandboxie - K9 Web Protection

ilker

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 10:58:54 AM »
Spyware Terminator is really useful software and it is getting better day by day. I think superantispyware is better than S.T in scanning. My pc was infected 3 days ago, i was scanning with S.T and it found only 3 trojans and it couldnt delete them . But Superantispyware found 5 trojans and 3 adwares and after the scan it cleaned successfully. S.T has another problem, for example if an antivirus finds something in the real time protection , it blocks the threat and then deletes. But in S.T it only blocks the attacks. You have to perform a full scan to delete the source of attack. In short i advice this program , it works nice without problem and the S.T team is working hard to make their software better .  :)

Macintosh

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 01:51:37 PM »
Spyware Terminator is really useful software and it is getting better day by day. I think superantispyware is better than S.T in scanning. My pc was infected 3 days ago, i was scanning with S.T and it found only 3 trojans and it couldnt delete them . But Superantispyware found 5 trojans and 3 adwares and after the scan it cleaned successfully. S.T has another problem, for example if an antivirus finds something in the real time protection , it blocks the threat and then deletes. But in S.T it only blocks the attacks. You have to perform a full scan to delete the source of attack. In short i advice this program , it works nice without problem and the S.T team is working hard to make their software better .  :)
Thanks for giving information about spywareterminator I am going to try it :) Superantispyware asks to register to get real time protection and I believe there is no reason for it to autostart with windows if it does not provide realtime protection >:(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 01:57:09 PM »
I believe there is no reason for it to autostart with windows if it does not provide realtime protection >:(
There isn't... just set it so into SuperAntispyware settings.

Macintosh

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 02:04:08 PM »
I have made that setting I use Spybot search and destroy for real time protection But I have heard it is heavy on system resources is it true :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 02:29:36 PM »
I have made that setting I use Spybot search and destroy for real time protection But I have heard it is heavy on system resources is it true :)
I don't think Spybot is hard on resources usage.
But I think it's not a good resident (on-access) program.
I use it only on-demand.

Macintosh

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 02:35:21 PM »
Thanks for your information :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 02:48:21 PM »