Author Topic: mssmgrd.exe  (Read 3453 times)

epinhao

mssmgrd.exe
« on: April 06, 2004, 06:22:17 AM »
Hi, I don't have avast! antivirus, I use Norton, and it couldn't detect it, but I've searched all the internet for these file and didn't found many info, I've read a website that maybe thinks is a kind of Nachi or Welchia variant; but I downloaded some removal tools and none found it. I don't beleive any antivirus will detect it. Another problem is that I searched all my computer with a file named "mssmgrd.exe" but I couldn't found it even though it is listed on the services list and it also shows on the registry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
I've already had a RPC crash, giving me 60 seconds, a typical MyDoom-ish or RPC vulnerability symptom. Other strange symptoms I had was a strange screen telling me something about "svchost.exe"; unluckily I didn't pay too much attention to it. Oddly I read some reports of virus that create other "svchost.exe" files in other folders so antivirus don't detect them but I couldn' t find another one.
Also I've noticed a lot of traffic in my network, netstat shows my computer tries to communicate through epmap, ip through ip, for ex:
192.168.1.1:epmap
192.168.1.2:epmap

Can somebody please help me!

At least I want to find the "mssmgrd.file on my computer, because I used the search tool with the "search hidden and system files" and I didn't found anything.

Thnx
Emilio

Update
I was able to find the file by showing protected operating system files. My first issue is solved, but I still want to know if it is a virus.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 07:15:17 AM by epinhao »

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:mssmgrd.exe
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 12:40:30 PM »
You could post a Hijackthis log, or look by your self if you are able to find "Your" file in the log and fix it.:
http://209.133.47.200/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe
MfG Ralf

epinhao

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 04:44:42 PM »
Thnx I already found it and determined its name, it is called Sdbot.RPC or Randex; I'm using it as a testdrive to get a new antivirus program.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 04:48:28 PM »
Please "visit" www.windowsupdate.com !
MfG Ralf