Author Topic: Getting Avast to open up after file D/L?  (Read 2899 times)

ispalten

Getting Avast to open up after file D/L?
« on: July 22, 2008, 06:44:22 PM »
Something new has started to happen in the last few weeks? Whenever I d/l a file from the web, AVAST opens up on my desktop? I can't seem to find any setting that controls this?

How can I disable this 'feature'?

Thanks,
Irv Spalten

Firebytes

Re: Getting Avast to open up after file D/L?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 07:01:14 PM »
Something new has started to happen in the last few weeks? Whenever I d/l a file from the web, AVAST opens up on my desktop? I can't seem to find any setting that controls this?

How can I disable this 'feature'?

Thanks,
Irv Spalten

Are you are saying that avast opens up and scans the file and then closes again after a download? If you are, I can hazard a guess as to why it is doing so.

If use Firefox and you upgraded to Firefox 3 just before avast began to automatically scan downloaded files then that is why it is happening. FF 3 has a feature that causes a users AV to automatically scan a downloaded file. It can be turned off if you don't like it. Type "about:config" without the quotes in the Firefox address bar and then filter for the string browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone. The default value of that parameter is true which means that scans will be done whenever a file is downloaded. Setting it to false will disable the automatic virus scanning in Firefox 3.

If you aren't using FF3 then I don't know what might be causing the scanning.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 07:01:50 PM »
You may have specified in a download manager the incorrect avast program that should be used to scan any files you download.

If this is the case the correct program is ashquick.exe.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 07:47:52 PM »
Alan is most certainly on the money here.

It isn't a feature of avast but one introduced by the user, incorrect file to scan downloads.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ispalten

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 08:31:21 PM »
THANKS!!!

You may have specified in a download manager the incorrect avast program that should be used to scan any files you download.

If this is the case the correct program is ashquick.exe.

You nailed it, I had ASHVAST specified, I've changed it,

BIG THANKS!!!!

I don't recall making this change, but I'm sure I did.

I re-posted a message today as I missed this one, wasn't set to notify me, sorry for the dup.