Author Topic: My Avast! doesn't start up!  (Read 5854 times)

DavideV

My Avast! doesn't start up!
« on: July 26, 2008, 02:42:12 PM »
Hi all...

...I have a problem and I absolutely need your help: I had Avast!4 Home Edition and some days ago, after I turned up my pc, I got this alert box (I translate it from Italian):

"Couldn't find starting point .strGetDisplayFileNameW of the procedure in the dynamic link library aswCmns.dll"

My Avast doesn't start, and I can't neither uninstall it!

Thanks in advance.

sanctuaryforever

Re: My Avast! doesn't start up!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 03:07:58 PM »
have you tried a repair of Avast using the add/remove mode of windows within the control panel, select avast and it should allow for a repair option see if that works

DavideV

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 03:31:40 PM »
Yes I tried but it doesn't work. I click on add/remove but simply nothing happens.

The version is 4.8

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 04:19:39 PM »
Yes I tried but it doesn't work. I click on add/remove but simply nothing happens.

The version is 4.8
1) Download the avast! uninstall utility (aswClear.exe) to your desktop.

2) Boot into safe mode.

3) Run aswClear.exe.

4) Reboot.

5) Reinstall avast!

6) Reboot.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 04:21:29 PM by rdmaloyjr »

chuck_gregory

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 07:52:19 PM »
 >:(
I'm having startup problems, too. I think it started after the last program update, but I'm not sure. I've used Avast for years, on everything from Win98 to Vista, and never had this sort of problem.

Mine is not giving an error message, however. On my Vista Home Premium System, the icon comes up but the underlying service has apparently not started. It's set to automatic, and I am able to start it manually, but it is not coming up with the system. I tried repairing and that didn't help. I attempted a boot time scan but somewhere along the line that stopped talking to the display although it was still taking cpu time.

There was a Vista update around the same time as an Avast update, and both installed automatically. Sometime later I noticed the red mark on the Avast icon. When I tried to reboot the system wouldn't shut down and I had to do it the hard way (hold the button long enough to force a bad shutdown). It seemed to come up normally but then restarted itself every couple of hours. I removed all unnecessary peripherals, did scans as well as I could, etc. Right now I have restored some of the hardware, and it's been up for quite a while, but I still had to start Avast manually.

I'm thinking that I should remove and reinstall Avast, but I'm not sure that's the first thing I should do.

Any ideas?

Chuck

rassel

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 11:01:57 AM »
I'm thinking that I should remove and reinstall Avast, but I'm not sure that's the first thing I should do.

Any ideas?
Noting bad if you try it. Maybe it will fix the problem if you try?