Author Topic: Weird locations in Standard Shield advanced config  (Read 8487 times)

hlecter

Re: Weird locations in Standard Shield advanced config
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 01:08:59 AM »
Just to add to your findings:

I recently did a clean install of 4.8.1229 after uninstall and aswclear.

At first after install I checked and I had exactly the first four entries that olddogs
picture shows. (pagefile.sys, log, ini, txt ).

After using Avast for one day I checked again, and then I had exactly
all the entries posted by olddog.

XP SP3

HL

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 01:27:57 AM »
Well it was this old dog, DavidR that posted that as the default list in back in reply #9 ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hlecter

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 02:24:19 AM »
Just to add to your findings:

I recently did a clean install of 4.8.1229 after uninstall and aswclear.

After using Avast for one day I checked again, and then I had exactly
all the entries posted by olddog.

XP SP3

HL

Well it was this old dog, DavidR that posted that as the default list in back in reply #9 ;D

I don't know who is oldest, but my 12 entries are constant and I consider them default
as I never touched them at all. ;D

Exactly the same 12 as 'olddog' has.

In the beginning of the thread (reply #5) you have 3 defaults marked with red ( txt, ini and log). In reply #9 you have the same 3 defaults and tree entries made by yourself. 

It all boils down to the definition of default. System-generated entries during the first hours of use is in my definition default entries. What else? I just checked another PC and it has 12 entries too.
The same 12 as on the machine with clean install of 4.8.1229 after uninstall/aswclear, none of them added by me.

I must be the oldest dog  :'(
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 03:12:25 AM by hlecter »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 02:40:53 PM »
It is as I said, I suspected the inheritance of old default settings on program auto updates, as you have found on a clean install (which mine was with this new system) none of the old settings are going to be there only what are the clean installation defaults.

Mine differs from what you now report, in that since my clean installation on 9 July 2008 (4.8.1201 and subsequent update to 1227 and 1229), I still don't have any additional exclusions other than those I have manually created and none of the others.

So perhaps the something weird is going on in my system ;D
However, it certainly doesn't seem to be impeding my system scanning those files that would otherwise be excluded ;D but it is a relatively quick system anyway.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dallas7

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 07:58:20 PM »
Well, I just removed free AVG from my laptop and installed avast! Home 4.8.1229.

The entries are exactly as shown in all four of the (nicely merged into one) screen captures posted up by olddog.  However, I can't say if they were there from the start or after an update as hlecter's observation would indicate.  I wish I would have paid more attention to that.

Regardless of the feedback I got from avast! support, I don't believe the weird locations could possibly be correct and I went in and edited them out and entered C:\WINDOWS\CSD\?0??????.  I love the Huh smiley!   ;D

It would seem the weird locations didn't break anything and whether a location exists or not isn't an issue from the standpoint of security. 

Finally, I'm probably the only one to have been subject to this singular anomaly - or the only one to notice it.  ;)

I wonder, tho, how it is avast! could tell me:  "These entries are safe, they should be included there. Do not worry about it."

And finally finally:  Thanks for all the help, forum members!

hlecter

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 10:36:26 PM »
Well, I just removed free AVG from my laptop and installed avast! Home 4.8.1229.

The entries are exactly as shown in all four of the (nicely merged into one) screen captures posted up by olddog.  However, I can't say if they were there from the start or after an update as hlecter's observation would indicate.  I wish I would have paid more attention to that.

dallas7;

Just to be elaborate the quote: Avast did not do any updates when going from the 4 entries to the 12
entries mentioned. I only surfed for a couple of hours.

I can add that I just updated to 1201 on a machine. This was also a clean install with aswclear.
The 4 entries went to 12 entries after a pretty short time.

Good luck and take care.  :)