Author Topic: Long startup after update to 4.8.1229  (Read 13104 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Long startup after update to 4.8.1229
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 05:30:40 PM »
Sorry, but you are not the one to say where the bug is - you don't know it.
It's up to the programmers (of both avast! and OA) to find out, possibly together - which I believe is happening. So, I'd ask for some patience... let's hope the problem will be resolved soon.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 05:43:17 PM by igor »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 06:30:04 PM »
A software conflict (or any conflict, for that matter) involves at least two parties.  To say that the bug is in OA, and that the avast! update exposed it, is simply arrogance. 

These are the developers of avast, do you not beileve that haven't investigated what the problems is. How else do you think they would make this statement in an open forum.

I commend OA for trying to address the problem (according to Vik) and condemn avast! for not doing so (no one on this thread has claimed they are). 

If the problem is one one side it should be down to that side to fix it,  not for the other party to try and work around the problem. They don't know the code within OA that may be responsible, so how could they apply a fix in avast to compensate for the unknown.

Alwil have identified problems in other software, Zone Alarm and Agnitum's Outpost firewall (my own firewall), 2 name just two and that has brought about fixes in those firewalls. Alwil have been very open in these forums, you only have to check these forums, I'm just an avast user like yourself who happens to have been on the forums for four and a half years so I can personally attest to what I have seen.

If there is a problem and it is one of avast's making, it has been a) acknowledged and b) promptly resolved with the help of avast users.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 08:37:04 AM »
A software conflict (or any conflict, for that matter) involves at least two parties.  To say that the bug is in OA, and that the avast! update exposed it, is simply arrogance.  I commend OA for trying to address the problem (according to Vik) and condemn avast! for not doing so (no one on this thread has claimed they are).  Many people will have to face the choice of either keeping OA and ditching avast! or keeping avast! and ditching OA.  I personally will keep the old avast! engine (4.8.1201), and will continue to update the database, until avast! v5 comes out.  If at that time the problem hasn't been fixed (either by OA or by avast!, I don't care who), I will get rid of avast! and keep OA.  You (avast!) should stop playing the blame game and try to fix the problem yourself, otherwise you'll lose some customers and get a bad reputation.

Just be careful that by condemning avast! for not doing anything to solve this problem based on your own interpretation of the straightforward comments by others in this thread, you are not yourself accused of "arrogance" and/or "playing the blame game".
The written word can be a frustrating means of dialogue at the best of times but made all the more cumbersome when things that are not there are read from between the lines.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 08:48:34 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 09:10:46 AM »
A software conflict (or any conflict, for that matter) involves at least two parties.  To say that the bug is in OA, and that the avast! update exposed it, is simply arrogance.

I don't understand what you're talking about. I'm in touch with Mike Nash (the CEO of Tall Emu - the makers of OA) and I didn't state anything that wouldn't be true.

I commend OA for trying to address the problem (according to Vik) and condemn avast! for not doing so (no one on this thread has claimed they are).  Many people will have to face the choice of either keeping OA and ditching avast! or keeping avast! and ditching OA.  I personally will keep the old avast! engine (4.8.1201), and will continue to update the database, until avast! v5 comes out.  If at that time the problem hasn't been fixed (either by OA or by avast!, I don't care who), I will get rid of avast! and keep OA.  You (avast!) should stop playing the blame game and try to fix the problem yourself, otherwise you'll lose some customers and get a bad reputation.

Sir, I'm not playing any blame game, I'm just reporting what has been concluded by both avast and OA development teams working together on resolving the issue. Next time please refrain from using such an arrogant tone before checking the facts.

Thank you
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

colin.p

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 07:14:53 PM »
I had the same issue with OA and Avast. Neither program is to blame, but both are to blame, if you can follow the logic. ;)
 OA has HIPS and when Avast starts, OA will allow it if you have given permission. When Avast updates, then because both security programs try to start first, OA sees a change in AVast and will block it until you allow it, HOWEVER, windows hasn't started to the point that it will allow OA to notify you, hence the computer stops.
You can update Avast, then tell OA to go into training or learning mode while you reboot, or go into Avast and tell it to load last. Either way, it should allow OA to see the updated Avast and then ask you if it is kosher.
I'm not sure if Comodo has the same issue as it didn't choke when I had it installed, but I know that OA does. However, that is why my brief stint with a HIPS FW is over. I do not have the patience to fuss with all this security BS and have gone back to basic security, such as a FW that is just a FW and, so far, an AV that is just an AV.

Just my enormous knowledge at work  ::)

Colin

Offline Geoffo

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 07:34:11 PM »
I had the same issue with OA and Avast. Neither program is to blame, but both are to blame, if you can follow the logic. ;)
 OA has HIPS and when Avast starts, OA will allow it if you have given permission. When Avast updates, then because both security programs try to start first, OA sees a change in AVast and will block it until you allow it, HOWEVER, windows hasn't started to the point that it will allow OA to notify you, hence the computer stops.
You can update Avast, then tell OA to go into training or learning mode while you reboot, or go into Avast and tell it to load last. Either way, it should allow OA to see the updated Avast and then ask you if it is kosher.
I'm not sure if Comodo has the same issue as it didn't choke when I had it installed, but I know that OA does. However, that is why my brief stint with a HIPS FW is over. I do not have the patience to fuss with all this security BS and have gone back to basic security, such as a FW that is just a FW and, so far, an AV that is just an AV.

Just my enormous knowledge at work  ::)

Colin

Interesting take Colin about HIPS being the problem. In OA, you can select 'Deactivate HIPS features', so I've posted a message on the OA board to ask what their techies think about clicking this before each avast prog update.
Win7, Chrome, Avast MBAM, SUS,