Author Topic: Why am I told I have a Virus?  (Read 11788 times)

wyrmrider

Re: Why am I told I have a Virus?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 02:15:55 AM »
you can zip the zip :)

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 03:05:29 AM »
Ahh... now that I did not think of... but I'll wait to see what the company says...if that doesn't work then I'll zip the zip... for what ever it's worth
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 03:06:34 AM »
I have absolutely no idea how/what they are basing the detection on, but it most certainly isn't by extracting the file from a password protected zip, so possibly based on a it being a zip and it is password protected and possibly by the file name of the file inside the zip.

You can open a zip file and see the contents, but if it is password protected you can't extract the files, if you can't extract the file you can't scan the contents of the file. Email servers might well have AV scanners, but what they won't have is brute force password tools to crack a password, that takes just too much processing effort and simply isn't worth it.

I understand your aversion for using an email client but you really are making your life difficult. Surely your ISP has an email account for you to use My ISP (and previous ones) offer an email address and standard pop3/smtp account. Vista comes pre-installed with Windows Live Mail, etc. so it would be relatively easy to use that ISP email account.

You don't even have to directly use the email client as in the avast Program Settings, SMTP, you can input your ISP account details and that should allow you to send samples from the chest. These samples are encrypted and don't need to be zipped and password protected and I have never had a sample sent this way bounced by any email server AV scanner.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 03:27:08 AM »
Thank you for the continued suppport DavidR. I just got a reply to my E-mail from Avast which stated at one point :
"It is false positive alert and will be fixed in next VPS update 080803-0."

So I am very happy I don't have to wory about it any more... once I receive the update I will also be able to confirm if the files that keep testing possitive on my D:\ drive are indeed virused or not (hopefully they are not... fingers crosed)

Once more thank you?
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 03:50:35 AM »
You're welcome, but now (whilst the pulse rate has stabilised after the support email) might be a good time to check out the option I gave in my last post, so you always have that available. As should it happen again you wouldn't want to go through this drama all over again ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wyrmrider

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 04:42:53 AM »
Thanks for following up Confused
It's users like you that make the system work

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 04:04:55 AM »
Hi.. Ok... so how do I mark this thread as solved?
Thanks ;)
Computer Systems:

wyrmrider

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 04:22:20 AM »
I think you just did :)
good luck on your new problem on the other computer