Author Topic: Avast asked for reboot after iAVS update  (Read 3116 times)

Firebytes

Avast asked for reboot after iAVS update
« on: July 29, 2008, 03:32:34 AM »
My father uses avast too and advised me that today after he updated his iAVS (not a program update) that avast asked for a reboot. I have never had this occur before and neither has he. What do you think happened?

Firebytes

Re: Avast asked for reboot after iAVS update
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 04:20:45 AM »
My father reports that after doing the iAVS update and rebooting that Threatfire now reports that the avast email scanner is performing a potentially malicious action, just as I posted in this thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=37456.0

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 03:00:56 PM »
The key is 'potentially' malicious action, it is I believe not very conversant with the use of localhost proxy use, where the Internet Mail provider intercepts emails so that can be scanned and then sends them on there way. This is neither malicious or suspicious but how the mail scanner works, Allow the activity and remember the answer.

In your other post there is a reply in reference to having possibly having increased the sensitivity of threatfire.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Firebytes

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 06:22:31 PM »
The key is 'potentially' malicious action, it is I believe not very conversant with the use of localhost proxy use, where the Internet Mail provider intercepts emails so that can be scanned and then sends them on there way. This is neither malicious or suspicious but how the mail scanner works, Allow the activity and remember the answer.

In your other post there is a reply in reference to having possibly having increased the sensitivity of threatfire.

I knew it wasn't really a malicious act on the part of Avast. I have allowed the process and told TF to remember the answer but I am still curious as to what changed to cause TF to suddenly start flagging the scanner as potentially malicious. It never did it before.

Also, does anyone have a guess as to the answer to the question from my original post? Why did Avast ask for a reboot after an iAVS update?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 06:49:17 PM »
I have responded re TF in your 'other' topic.

The iAVS update shouldn't ask for a reboot, but if you hadn't rebooted after the program update then it would probably be that which is at issue.

Are you getting a request to reboot after each boot as this has happened on occasion and isn't directly related to an iAVS update ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Firebytes

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 07:59:36 PM »
My father has not updated his Avast program since I believe it was 4.8.1220 and he has rebooted many times since that update. He only updated iAVS and got the request to reboot. He has updated iAVS again since then and did not get a reboot request. (He was not getting a reboot request after each boot). I assume this was just some glitch when he updated the iAVS that one time?

Thanks for the help.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 09:15:55 PM »
I would say it is a glitch that unless it occurs after an iAVS update on a regular basic it isn't something to be overly concerned about.