Author Topic: Avast! 4.8 VRDB Creation Time?  (Read 13022 times)

onlysomeone

Re: Avast! 4.8 VRDB Creation Time?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 06:41:59 PM »
did you always use the same installation file?
probably its broken - or did you try to download a new installation file?

epp

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 06:48:51 PM »
did you always use the same installation file?
probably its broken - or did you try to download a new installation file?

I downloaded a new installation file each time.  The log file itself is too large to be quoted in a message, so I am attaching it as it is, from the point of the latest installation.  As I am modifying this message, an indication that the software updated, was displayed.  But I still do not have the VRDB (i) icon next to the clock.

Further info on the update that just occurred:

Information about current update:
Total time: 24:02

- Vps: Updated
  (previous version: 080611-1, updated version: 080719-0)

Server: download940.avast.com (74.54.25.98)
Downloaded files: 42 (2,943.65 KB)
Download time: 38 s

I can understand it taking 38 seconds to download the updates, but a total time of 24:02???

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 06:52:02 PM by epp »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 07:10:01 PM »
Avast is the only product that I've seen that scans outgoing mail on port 587 which is what my ISP uses

on the contrary - avast does not scan port 587 which is almost always used for a secure connection.  If you try to force avast to scan port 587 it will fail and prevent the connection.

If you want avast to scan mail delivered via secure email connections then you (at least for now) then you need to use a free third party program called STunnel to manage the secure connections and past the mail to/from avast for scanning.  You can use the search function in the forum for more details on STunnel use.

epp

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 07:32:41 PM »
Avast is the only product that I've seen that scans outgoing mail on port 587 which is what my ISP uses

on the contrary - avast does not scan port 587 which is almost always used for a secure connection.  If you try to force avast to scan port 587 it will fail and prevent the connection.

If you want avast to scan mail delivered via secure email connections then you (at least for now) then you need to use a free third party program called STunnel to manage the secure connections and past the mail to/from avast for scanning.  You can use the search function in the forum for more details on STunnel use.

4.8 does scan Port 587, once it is added to the settings.  587 is Authenticated SMTP, it is not an SSL port.  I sent a test message through Port 587 to myself and when the e-mail was retrieved, there were two Avast references attached to the end of the message, first was the outgoing information, then the incoming.

Secure (SSL) SMTP is port 465 and Avast does not scan that, nor the Secure POP3 port (995).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have since rebooted Windows and the (i) icon now appears next to the clock.  Not sure what happened, but it looks like it's working now.  :)

When I first tried Avast some months ago, it would take an hour just to get the updates, I hope that doesn't happen again. 

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 07:59:02 PM by epp »

epp

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 12:01:46 AM »
Four hours now and still waiting for the VRDB to finish generating.

How long should this take?

My system has a 500 MHz AMD K6-2 processor with 512 Mb of RAM (PC100).

Update: I changed a Windows system setting to force the PC to run more optimally, turning off all the snappy graphics.  After doing so, the VRDB finished what it was doing within 10 minutes or so.  :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 12:35:07 AM by epp »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 01:54:13 AM »
That sounds like a more reasonable figure.

But with a system with such a low spec it is difficult for us to guesstimate just how long things like this would take. So what you have done settings wise is good and also shutting down non essential applications would help increase system resources.

On my old system it used to take about 9 minutes and that was a lot more powerful than yours, so not a huge difference. It also depends on how much you have on your system .exe, files, etc. as that is what it is checking.

On this new system I haven't timed it to see how long it would take, just started one off and even though it is a fairly powerful system (see signature) it is hardly using any CPU % at all. Just completed in under 4 minutes and it never peeked at over 20% CPU.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

epp

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 02:41:43 AM »
Just by turning off the XP graphics and desktop, it now looks like the old Windows 9X and it is running 1,000% better than it did previously. 

Everything loads and runs faster:  Internet Explorer, SeaMonkey, Avast ;D, Outlook Express and the audio doesn't skip when I play a music CD.

Avast also no longer hangs when I click the Details icon in the Update (Basic) settings window.

Tomorrow, I will do a full system virus scan.  Now that the system is running considerably faster, I want to see how long it takes Avast to do a full scan.  With all of the graphics previously turned on, other anti-virus products would take a good 2 hours to perform a virus scan, this was after SP 2 was installed.  With SP 1 installed prior, it took the same software only 45 minutes to perform the same scan.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 02:44:27 AM by epp »

epp

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 09:28:09 PM »
I mentioned in another topic that I discovered helpsvc.exe was using 100% of the CPU resources until it shuts off.  A hotfix applies to XP SP 2 but not SP 3.  I have gone into the System Configuration Utility and turned off the Help & Support service, which is that file.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 03:16:26 AM by epp »

epp

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 11:22:01 PM »
Things seems to be improving. 

After I reinstalled Avast! again yesterday (Wednesday evening local time), I set the VRDB generation to occur when the screen saver was on.

Today, it generated a new VRDB and I'm happy to report that it took no where near the last reported attempt of five hours.  Although I do not know how long it exactly took, I am guessing that it probably took a little more than one hour to create this time around. 

Turning off all of the XP graphics (making it look like Windows 9x) and other things that were in the systray that I never accessed, it appears to have sped up the K6-2 system a bit.  :)

ehrlich3

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 10:41:24 PM »
 You may have an issue with another antivirus program installed on your PC. Check your Control panel/add remove programs display for likely suspects. You might also try a registery scan with Windows Safety Center(free) between installs.
                        http://safety.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm
  Under full scan>customize select just the registry scan ...

epp

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 11:00:09 PM »
All remnants of old antivirus software have been removed from the system, including old registry keys.  It's been running better.