Author Topic: After Avast updates Threatfire is flagging the email scanner  (Read 4513 times)

Firebytes

After recent avast updates Threatfire has began to flag the email scanner as potentially malicious when I send an email. I am not sure who's end the fix needs to come from Avast or TF but I thought I would bring it to your attention and see if anyone else is having the problem.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: After Avast updates Threatfire is flagging the email scanner
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 07:19:41 AM »
Have you changed TF from the default sensitivity (i.e. 3) ?
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 04:04:08 PM »
Just tried it myself on Vista Home Basic. avast! 4.8.1129, TF set to default. No problems with either Windows Mail (IMAP) or Thunderbird (POP3). Latest iAVS (080729-0) may have solved the problem.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:59:28 PM »
Don't you mean version 4.8.1229 ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 08:02:47 AM »
Yes, 4.8.1229. Thank-you David.

Firebytes

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 06:16:58 PM »
Yes, Threatfire was (and is) set to the default protection level of 3, no changes there. The only thing that had changed (that I am aware of) that started TF flagging Avast's email scanner was that I had updated Avast.

Today I applied the latest Avast iAVS update (080730-0) and TF still flags the Avast email scanner on my machines which run XP home. For now I have just allowed the process in TF and told it to remember my answer. It doesn't really solve the root of the problem but it will get me by until either Avast or TF figures out whats going on.

I would say that maybe it could be some glitch on my system except that it does it on both of my computers and on my father's computers as well.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 06:45:11 PM »
You have to be aware that after program updates components change and as such would be challenged, so you have to recognise this is normal and allow the changes after a program update.

The same will be true of other programs (after an update) that have an internet interaction or security purpose.

the iAVS updates don't change the program components only the signature file, so that shouldn't trigger any fresh threatfire alert.

You say "It doesn't really solve the root of the problem but it will get me by until either Avast or TF figures out whats going on." if as I explained a) program changes are likely to be challenged as what threatfire had previously allowed changed and b) after allowing the changed process and remembering the answer there are no further pop-up alerts, then that is as it should be.

So are you saying even after allowing and checking remember my answer the pop-up alerts continue ?
If so that is most certainly a threatfire issue as avast hasn't changed since the program update that sparked the TF alert.

Or what do you consider the root of the problem is ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Firebytes

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 08:10:21 PM »
I have updated other applications and Avast previously and it never caused TF to alert due to the changes. On my father's system he had not updated avast (program) but after doing an iAVS update TF began flagging the email scanner.So to me the problem was that TF didn't used to alert on avast and now it does.  So what changed...I don't know. It's no big deal I guess, I was just curious if anyone else was having the same issue and if so knew what had caused it. Oh and no, I do not get the alerts anymore after setting TF to allow and remember.

I think avast and TF are both great products and I appreciate the work personnel from both do.

Thanks for your help.

Firebytes

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 08:39:13 PM »
OK, after applying the latest signature update for Avast and the database update for TF after I arrived home today, I was still having TF flag the Avast scanner. I had not rebooted after the updates at the time as neither program asked for one.

Anyway, I decided to remove the always allow setting in TF that I had set up for the Avast scanner and tried rebooting. Now TF is no longer flagging Avast's scanner. Very strange stuff, I don't get it, but hey the two back working as usual alongside each other now.

Thanks again for your consideration of my problem.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 09:23:48 PM »
Very strange indeed and most certainly a TF issue as essentially even with updates, the Internet Mail (ashMaiSv.exe) functionality (how it intercepts and scans email and sends it on its way) hasn't changed.