Author Topic: Issues updating Avast via the system tray.  (Read 9249 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Issues updating Avast via the system tray.
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 07:57:45 PM »
The installation on another location has in the past caused some problems when the characters in the path had things like non-standard characters, e.g. accents or umlauts, etc. (this is why I mentioned it), but you path doesn't seem to have any special/non-standard characters. Though the ! might be a special character and one which I too have used in a folder name before without problems.

I for years had avast installed on a different partition with no problem. This however, was with XP Pro

My mention of 'not top rank' related to adaware and windows defender (your existing software not avast or comodo firewall and why the suggested software was anti-spyware/malware and not anti-virus or firewall.

Unfortunately, not knowing exactly what permissions Vista is referring and my zero practical experience of Vista, I shall have to hope someone can jump into the fray.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

anubeon

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 07:02:40 PM »
Well it seems as though I'm going to have to buy a new hat and eat it! :P

I uninstalled COMODO and hey presto the avast permissions issue disappears. That is a little off seeing as Avast! seemed to function perfectly well for months (along side COMODO) without any issues arising. Anyway I've ditched COMODO and replaced it with Outpost Pro (which I used to use).

As I said before I don't use Windows Defender, in fact I've been a bit slack when it comes to on-access spyware/malware protection simply because I am not aware of a reliable, non-memory hog anti-malware programme (that also happens to be free ware). I was also unsure as to whether Avast! could countenance another on-access scanner in its midst (hence Windows Defender is off). I would appreciate suggestions for good anti-spyware, anti-malware and anti-trojan freeware (please don't suggest AVG I had a bad experience with them a while back; they beat me and locked me in a cupboard. :P).

I remember a time (perhaps through sheer ignorance) that anti-virus scanners where advertised as a catch all. Now it seems that one needs separate on-access scanners for spyware, malware, greyware, trojans and alike (the latter being very difficult to come by). Surely these all come under the same blanket term (virus)? Or is that me being naive?

Anyhow I must dash now, I have a hectic commute ahead of me. Thanks for all the assistance DavidR, much appreciated.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 07:15:25 PM »
It is possible that comodo's defence+ might been responsible (though I don't use comodo) but it gets stuck into the strangest of things asking for permission for this and that, answer incorrectly and it could deny permission, resulting in a permissions warning.

OP Pro is fine I have been using it from OP free, eventually purchasing a lifetime license a few years ago. Just getting to grips with outpost firewall pro 2009, I don't like the interface as much as OP 4.0.

Just take a look at my signature and you will see I don't go overboard with additional programs.

Another choice is MalwareBytes Anti-Malware freeware version http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware.shtml.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wyrmrider

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 08:54:24 PM »
COMODE

Outpost- good choice

MBAM is a different kind of program than firewalls (for those of you just browsing this thread)- a good tool to have available
I've been using it in place of EWIDO