Author Topic: malware  (Read 13843 times)

Shortiehi5

malware
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:19:37 PM »
Hi ! i have avast and it has warned me about malware. I go regularly to my favs i have like the BC SPCA sites to help out and look at the pups (looking for a pup too) but i had not been in 3 days and as i did   i got this MALWARE warning from avast ''this is very good'' but i still can not get into the SPCA"S at all now with out this popping up every time ? please help thank yu very very much!!

PiCo

Re: malware
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 09:28:04 PM »
Are you talking about this site? -> spca.bc.ca

I'm not using Avast on this machine, but I can't connect to the site.
Are you sure it was an Avast pop-up and not some fake one from the site?

Shortiehi5

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 09:32:15 PM »
 hi '  well no i  i am not sure its from my puter or because of them ?? how do i figure it out? once i disconnect when Avast  warns me i can get in but this pops up all the time now  thank you very much
  Shortie.

Shortiehi5

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 09:36:04 PM »
  Hello ' i forgot to answer your Q ?  'no i'am not sure if its a fake one from the site how do i find out? i called them they said what is malware?   ok thank yu  Shortie

PiCo

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:46:05 PM »
This is what it looks like :)

Shortiehi5

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:01:52 PM »
Ok it looks the same only it says Malware and it says disconnect  instead of no action....does it mean its a fake? thanks   

PiCo

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 10:05:13 PM »
No, it is Avast allright, not fake, but I don't know if it is a false positive by Avast or a true threat.

If you can post a screenshot of the pop-up and provide a link to the site that causes the pop-up.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 12:31:47 AM »
Ok it looks the same only it says Malware and it says disconnect  instead of no action....does it mean its a fake? thanks  

This is the one, Web Shield blocking a file/page from being downloaded, the only option given is abort connection, which stops it getting on to your system.

What is the malware name givin in this detection ?
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.

The reason I ask is that Linkscanner and DrWeb don't find anything at the hXXp://www.spca.bc.ca/ address. Though there is a heavy use of javascript on that site and one which might look suspicious to the web shield scanner, though I don't think it is.

Code: [Select]
<script type="text/javascript">
var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www.");
document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));
</script>

Other than that I don't see anything obvious unless it is on an external .js file, I don't normally browse with scripting enabled so I didn't get an alert when I visited the page. OK I temporarily enabled scripts and I didn't get an alert.

So we need confirmation of the location that Pico asked and you can get all that from the log viewer that I mentioned, we need more information.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Shortiehi5

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 08:27:19 AM »
 hello ' every one ' i am sorry it took me so long to come back ' i had a hard time finding this place again .and also learning on how to post in here! thank you for your help and i know i made you wait am sorry' !! 
i have to learn on how to get a screen shot , and i did make a copy for Hijack & i need to learn on how to post the link ,for where the malware pops up from..... so i will be back but in a bit ok and soooo many ty's !!! please know i do so appreciate it.  Shortie ..will be back

Shortiehi5

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 09:31:40 AM »
Hello ' again.............  I went to try and get a screen shot of this malware that shows up when i go to http://spca.bc.ca     but now it won't show up.  After all this it is ok now ..SO i went into every SPCA site to look at the dogs and no malware is showing up.
The 1 st day i got malware i phoned the spca and they said what's malware?  but now 3 days later and i can get into all the SPCA"S   Is it possible it was from them ? and they fixed their  malware ? i am not a computer person and don't know much so please excuse my Non existing  knowledge...
Pico ...can you get into the site now?  And  any advice you can give me ? i would thank you very much!! .   soooo many tys!!!!  i will be back in the morning !!  mean while will try to learn how a screen shot is done & a hijack log too.!!!  very kind of you to help!!!  Shortie..

PiCo

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 01:14:21 PM »
Yes I can get into the site today :)
Yesterday it wouldn't load!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 03:22:34 PM »
Well the site loads for me today as it did yesterday and no alerts.

For How To post a screen shot check out this old topic, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=6588.0, old but still relevant.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Shortiehi5

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 09:58:25 AM »
 Hi am back & thank you for the screen shot link!!  great i needed it!! i will be back thursday. tyty :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 02:36:17 PM »
You're welcome, until then.

Shortiehi5

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 11:49:19 PM »
Hi i was wondering where to attatch the hijackthis copy? i did one on the 29 th and don't knowhow '' i went to insert image but i get image words on line is all tyty