Author Topic: Is there a flaw in Dr.Web antivirus link checker on Vista with FF 3.0.1?  (Read 14538 times)

gdiloren

On my XP pc the extension works correctly. On my Vista desktop the extension is not usable. Hope this will soon be fixed. So far, got no feedback from the author. :o
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:05:29 AM by gdiloren »

Hard_ROCKER

Hey gdiloren, it works just fine on my Vista rig however i had to use Nightly Tester Tools to make it work with FF 3.0.1 ...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6543

gdiloren

Hey gdiloren, it works just fine on my Vista rig however i had to use Nightly Tester Tools to make it work with FF 3.0.1 ...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6543
Thanks Darth, It still doesn't want to work properly on my vista pc.  On FF 3.0.1 I have those extensions:
AdBlockPlus 7.5.5
ColorFullTabs 3.2
Dr.Web Antivirus Link Checker 1.0.17
FastDial 1.90
FinjanSecureBrowsing 1.314
FireGestures 1.1.2
FlagFox 3.2.7
Interclue 1.5.6.1
McAfee SiteAdvisor 26.6
NetCraftAntiphishingToolbar 1.2
NightlyTesterTools 2.0.2
NoScript 1.7.7
PicLens 1.7.1.3900
RamBack 1.0
Wot 20080714
Plus I have WD and ST resident antispyware protection and AVAST 4.8.1229 resident shield protection. I'm puzzled. May be some extension is interfering?

gdiloren

I just created a new user account. Brand new FF 3.0.1 settings. Redownloaded the extension. Miraculously working. I will probably have to mess around with FF on my administrator account. Thanks Darth (this is WITHOUT Nightly Tester tools).
So at least we know it has to do with profiles in ff. ;)

Hard_ROCKER

Hey gdiloren, glad you figured it out. Might be an idea to start with a fresh profile and copy your bookmarks, passwords etc. from your previous profile.

gdiloren

There is a flaw with the extension. It does not work with any other THEME than the DEFAULT one (I guess...). I did not have to delete and create a new profile, it is linked to the THEME you use (you must use DEFAULT THEME). Hope this will help the author!
Thanks!!! ;)

Hard_ROCKER

Hmmm, same here, the pop up window for Dr.Web doesn't come up at all when using a non-default theme. Interesting bug.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
There is a flaw with the extension. It does not work with any other THEME than the DEFAULT one (I guess...). I did not have to delete and create a new profile, it is linked to the THEME you use (you must use DEFAULT THEME). Hope this will help the author!
Thanks!!! ;)

Very interesting and since the FF 3.0 default theme is but ugly I don't use it and my DrWeb add-on doesn't work. I will give the default theme a run again to test your theory.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Well test done changed to the butt ugly default theme and did a DrWeb right click link check and as I type this I'm watching the same issue as reported the pop-up is there but it is just spinning its wheels and no check. I give up, enough is enough, life is too short.

So back to my nice Aeon Clouds theme.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gdiloren

David, mine is taking a bit long (1-2 minutes). May be the server was busy. It's a very useful extension when it gets to finally do a scan! :o
Look at the THEME below on FF 3.0.1 in Vista. I see your theme is different.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 04:15:38 AM by gdiloren »

gdiloren

Re: Is there a flaw in Dr.Web antivirus link checker on Vista with FF 3.0.1?
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 06:11:54 AM »
For those in love with this extension, you must live with this: ;)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 02:30:11 PM »
Perhaps because a) I don't use Vista by XP Pro

The themes in firefox are over and above windows themes, the windows themes control the active window Title bar. The firefox themes don't touch this they control the way firefox elements are displayed, e.g. toolbars, menu, tabs, status bar, etc.

I waited much longer than 1-2 minutes and it didn't even do me the courtesy of displaying a server busy, it simply isn't working.

gdiloren

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 04:56:21 PM »
Perhaps because a) I don't use Vista by XP Pro

The themes in firefox are over and above windows themes, the windows themes control the active window Title bar. The firefox themes don't touch this they control the way firefox elements are displayed, e.g. toolbars, menu, tabs, status bar, etc.

I waited much longer than 1-2 minutes and it didn't even do me the courtesy of displaying a server busy, it simply isn't working.
Sorry David, I can't just figure out what's going on with this extension. For me, I just had to go back to my Default theme and it makes sense (I'm on Vista). Many users were saying on the Dr. Web Mozilla add-on page that their extension worked well on XP. You have pro and cons. Some even say it is poor at virus detection and not worth the p*** in the a**. We internet users take the most we can take as for protection ::)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 05:26:15 PM »
When something takes a long time to scan (assuming that you can get it to bl***y work) then it loses its potential benefits as people simply aren't going to wait 1-2 minutes for it to display the results.

They will turn to a more dependable service even if that is manual but takes considerably less time like the linkscanner online (http://linkscanner.explabs.com/linkscanner/default.asp) or even the DrWeb manual check (http://online.us.drweb.com/?url=1) which incidentally works very quickly assuming it is using the same scanning engine and resources.

It just infuriates me, but how mad can you get at a free tool/service, you can't you just abandon it.

gdiloren

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 05:28:11 PM »
Extension installation problems??? I'm having problems now with the siteadvisor extension for FF 3.0.1 on my new USER account. Found out it installs but doesn't stay there, I have to reinstall it at each opening of session. I don't know if this may be associated to the problem some have with the dr. web antivirus link checker extension. May be!!! ??? Thanks for the link David. As long as I made it work and don't use it so often, I'm willing to wait one-two minutes or even get a busy server from time to time, but it sure will get me to use it less. But I respect your decision not to use it anymore. :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 05:35:28 PM by gdiloren »