Author Topic: What are the real world differences between the Home and Professional editions?  (Read 2389 times)

Texas-Hansen

I'm trying to decide between the free Home version of Avast and the paid for Professional version of Avast.  I looked at the comparison chart between the two and note that from the chart there are some differences noted.  But, I'm trying to figure out what the real world, actual use differences are that I will notice.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
There is very little difference in protection as Alwil haven't crippled the Home, free version and essentially the difference is no script blocker in the Home version. The major difference is the interactive input requirements, no automated action on detection, less configurability, no Enhanced User Interface, no scheduling of on-demand scans.

These automated options are only available in the Pro version. This is a limitation of the Home (free) version that it has interactive input requirement, there have to be differences in the Home/Pro version and this is one of them, the programmers have to eat ;D

So why not try the Pro Trial version, it gives 60 days unrestricted use, if you like it and its configurability and convenience then you can purchase your license or you can register for the Home version and get your registration key. You enter that whilst you are connected to the internet and the version will automatically be downgraded to the Home version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Texas-Hansen

Thanks for the helpful insight.  I'll give the trial version a try.  Sound the like the Home version is an excellent product but requires the user to take more actions to make it run at its best where the Professional version is going to rely less on the user and take action automatically (i.e. scan automatically and erradicate found viruses automatically).  Is the user interface significantly different in the Professional version?    Also, I noticed that it does not include a firewall...what do folks use for a firewall when using Avast; just use the Windows Vista firewall? 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The enhanced user interface of the Pro version is very different and where the configuration and automation of tasks, etc. takes place.

The Vista firewall has outbound protection (which is off by default), essential I feel and it is rules based and you have to configure the rules not easy. Vista Firewall Control, check out this topic for some user friendly help for the Vista Firewall, Outbound protection, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30234.0

There are many freeware firewalls such as, Comodo, PCTools Firewall Plus, Jetico, etc. - Zone Alarm free works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface, however, the free version is becoming bloated with trial ware and is also crippled as far as outbound protection goes In the Program Control, configuration area, the slider will only goes as far as Medium protection, if you want more you have to buy the Pro version.

See A Forum discussion on free firewalls http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30808.0
See http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security