Author Topic: 4.8 Pro Scheduling  (Read 3639 times)

moema2k

4.8 Pro Scheduling
« on: July 30, 2008, 09:45:35 PM »
I recently purchases a Pro license.  I've setup a task whereby upon discovering a virus, Avast would MOVE the virus to the virus chest.  Well, a virus was discovered and Avast presented me with a NOTICE telling me a virus was discovered.  The problem is that in doing so, the virus scan pauses until I acknowledge the message and press the CONTINUE button.  The reason I bought the Pro version was to be able to schedule a scan and have Avast automatically MOVE viruses to the chest in the event a virus was found.  I could later go back and check the log and/or session to inspect the outcome of the event. In the meantime the scan would complete and I'd have my system back. At the moment, the scan pauses until I click the CONTINUE buttton. 

How do I get around this ?   >:(

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: 4.8 Pro Scheduling
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:32:28 PM »
What did you set on the "Virus" page of the task configuration?

moema2k

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 12:45:04 AM »
Virus page has "choose action " if failed " delete file"

The choose action function selected is to move the virus to the chest. Of course if that fails, I want the file deleted.

Thanx,

Moe

dallas7

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 03:38:15 AM »
Moe, that's a good question.  I bought Pro for the scheduled scan and as a result of your experience I went and looked at the options and it doesn't seem like the task can be automated in the way we thought it could.

I set my scheduled scan to begin at 2 AM.  It would suck if when I get up five hours later, I find I would have to click a button to continue. 

Let's hope we get a solution here.  If not why don't you send an email to support.  And let me know here what they said.  :)

dallas7

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 04:05:26 AM »
Oops.  Never mind.  Wish I could delete that gif file...  :-[
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 04:23:06 AM by dallas7 »

moema2k

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 04:25:56 AM »
Dallas : yup, sent an email to support. Curious as to what they come back with .  My expectation was for the process to be automated.  Main reason is that it takes quite a while to run a scan , especially on a system with  a high density of files, i.e, 50 or 100 gigs.  You want to be able run the scan during down time (when you're not using the system).  I currently run a number of processes (backups, etc) during late night or early morning hours and then deal with the results when I log on the following day.

Anyway, I"ll advise when support responds.  

Moe

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 08:39:56 AM »
"choose action" on the Virus page means "show the virus warning and wait for user input"; the configuration of "choose action" only allows you to specify what buttons will be available in the virus warning.
So, if you want to move the file to Chest automatically, there should be just "move to chest" on the Virus page.

moema2k

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 01:37:22 PM »
Got it. Thanx for the input.

Got another issue that is somewhat interesting.  I've scheduled several network drives (2) for scanning.  The scan works on both drives when I activate the task manually, but only works on one when the task runs on a schedule. The drive the scheduled task fails on comes back with an error "failed (the system cannot find the path specified)" , yet I can execute the task manually.  All task parameters that I selected for the failed drive are the same as the drive that does work with the schedule.

Drive F: works as scheduled
Drive z: does not work as scheduled but works with manual activation.

Got any ideas ?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 01:59:47 PM »
I think it may be connected with user accounts.
When you activate the task manually, the scan runs under your user account, i.e. with the access rights your user account has.

When the scheduled task runs, however (which may happen even when nobody is logged on), it runs in the ashServ.exe service - which runs under LOCALSYSTEM account. The LOCALSYSTEM account has all the access rights for the local resources normally, but no access to network.

You may try to change the user account for ashServ.exe service to some Administrator account so that it can access all the resources... though I'm not completely sure if avast! setup won't put the default settings back. (It may be necessary to disable avast! self-defense [avast! Settings / Troubleshooting] temporarily to make this change.)

dallas7

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 12:50:02 AM »
OK.  I see where you can use "Remove last word" to clear "choose action" from the "Select actions..." field thereby allowing the automation of the other "Virus actions" via the "And" and "If failed" operators.  Is that correct?

If so, there is no mention of this behavior in Help and maybe that could be updated during some "spare time" over there at avast!   ;D

I'm also going to head over to the Wish List and suggest the "Interactive" button be renamed "Choose action" as this is what it evokes in the "Select actions..."

Thank you!

moema2k

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 03:18:43 AM »
Dallas : all good input on your behalf. Basically the way I understand it is if the user selects a "choose action " option, then the system, upon executing the task, will prompt the user for a "response" in the event a virus is discovered. So, if you don't want to be prompted (and I don't) and just want an action to take place, then don't select any  "choose action" option and only use and option with the "and " or "if failed" function.

By the way, is that you on the bike ?  Both my wife an I ride.

Moe