Author Topic: Windows Security Center says Avast might be out of date  (Read 9046 times)

katarina

Windows Security Center says Avast might be out of date
« on: August 01, 2008, 02:41:54 AM »
My daughter is using WIN XP Home and gets the following message from a balloon popup from Windows Security Center:

Your Computer might be at risk

avast! antivirus 4.8.1229 [VPS 080731-0] might be out of date

I am using the same versions and am not getting a warning message.  She has rebooted her system and she still gets the same warning.  What do we need to look into now?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows Security Center says Avast might be out of date
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 03:01:53 AM »
Check your system date, double click the clock and ensure the day month and year are correct, adjust as required.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

katarina

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 03:47:01 AM »
Thank you for the suggestion.  She doesn't have access to her computer right now, but she did say that yesterday she had opened the clock and suspects that she did possibly change the date.  I will find out later.

On another note ... how do I get in touch with an Admin or Moderator?

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 04:52:31 AM »

You could send a Personal Message (see bottom of linked-to profile pages) to igor, lukor, or vlk
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 07:47:31 AM »
The way Windows Security Center works is very simplistic. In this case, it is comparing the release date of the virus definitions that avast reports to it (which seems to be correct) with the system clock. So, if the system date is skewed you'll get this message.

What can we do for you?

BTW you have the same name as my wife... :)

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

katarina

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 12:31:54 PM »

You could send a Personal Message (see bottom of linked-to profile pages) to igor, lukor, or vlk

Thank you ... I do not see an option to send PMs to any of the individuals you mentioned.  However, I am also missing Profile Owner options and have limited capabilities to change any settings on my Profile, so maybe that is the problem.

katarina

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 12:35:51 PM »
What can we do for you?

Thank you for the explanation regarding the Windows Security Center.  She has fixed her clock now.

I have sent you an email regarding an issue with my account settings. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 03:44:02 PM »

Thank you ... I do not see an option to send PMs to any of the individuals you mentioned.  However, I am also missing Profile Owner options and have limited capabilities to change any settings on my Profile, so maybe that is the problem.

New members can't use the PM function until they have 20 posts. This is to avoid abuse of the PM function by drive by spammers who sign up to the forums just to spam. Other areas of the advanced Profile settings will also be barred, that might be what you are experiencing.

Welcome to the forums.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 03:45:55 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

katarina

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 05:45:03 PM »
New members can't use the PM function until they have 20 posts. This is to avoid abuse of the PM function by drive by spammers who sign up to the forums just to spam. Other areas of the advanced Profile settings will also be barred, that might be what you are experiencing.

Well ... that explains it. Thank you!   :)   I guess it doesn't matter that I registered in 2006 and haven't spammed anyone yet.   ;)

I did try the "Help" file, but it didn't provide the detail you have provided.  However, it did reference the possibility of customization altering the expected behavior of the forum software.  I looked for a FAQ file to explain any customizations or common concerns that new forum members would have, and didn't find one. 

The other issue I had been seeking an explanation for was why I could see the email icon (and my email address) even though I had "Hide email address from public" checked.  I was very uneasy about having used the forum until I had a friend register and login and confirm for me that my email address was not visible to others.  It's a leap of faith to assume that others can't see it ... without that confirmation.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 06:16:34 PM »
No the length of time isn't a factor (perhaps it should, outside my power as an avast user like yourself) only the post count is considered.

You are the only one that can see it, see image. I can see my email icon, but you can't, so no leep of faith required ;D

katarina

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 06:32:54 PM »
... no leep of faith required ;D

But ... you provided visible "proof" ... I can believe in what I can see for myself.   ;D

A forum search has revealed that I am not the first and won't be the last person concerned about this issue.  Thank you for your patient explanation and example.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 06:42:51 PM »
I was possibly the first to query it on the new version of the forum software was introduced and the email icon appeared, I kicked up merry h*** ;D

You're welcome.