Author Topic: 2 Avast! Problems  (Read 2029 times)

omnipharious

2 Avast! Problems
« on: August 01, 2008, 04:59:59 AM »
I haven't had this problem in a little while, but it seems to occur a bit, so.
What can I do and why does it happen when a virus is detected and I press delete but the warning comes up again or doesn't get deleted? And the other question is... If I have a program that I COMPLETELY KNOW is a virus, or is not a valid program, is there a way I can make it to be found as a virus?
Because I just pretty much activated this laptop I'm on and I forgot to put Avast! back on it.
I download Firefox and start to use it a bit... I get this program that comes up "Antivirus XP 2008".
I 100% know its not a valid program because it downloads itself without me being asked or me going near their site. (If they have one)
It wouldn't uninstall it self when I tried, so I used Moveonboot, and it was gone when I restarted.
That was yesterday, It came back today, I took it off again, same way.
Also, when it runs its virus scanner, it finds something over like 700 viruses with names like...
"system32\virus.exe", or "windows\virus.exe".
And Avast! only found like... maybe 4 viruses on full system scan, and I took them off...

Any help here?

omnipharious

Re: 2 Avast! Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 05:03:13 AM »
I'm sorry, is this supposed to go in the "Viruses/false alarms" section?
Cause this is more of a... non-alarm.

wyrmrider

Re: 2 Avast! Problems
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 07:08:42 AM »
let's keep it here for the moment
the xp-antivirus is a real baddie and frequently has some nasty friends

I'd suggest that you update avast and then rt click on the ball and schedule a boot time scan
send any hits to the Chest- do not delete/remove
report back

The C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\report\aswBoot.txt
provides a more user friendly summary of the boot-time scan and it should list any detections.
post it back here

Watch for false positives with ALL of these programs

some background info from David R
You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here. You can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to extract it to a temporary (not original) location first, see below.

Create a folder called Suspect in the C:\ drive, e.g. C:\Suspect. Now exclude that folder in the Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add, type (or copy and paste) C:\Suspect\* That will stop the standard shield scanning any file you put in that folder. You should now be able to export any file in the chest to this folder and upload it to VirusTotal without avast alerting.

If it is indeed a false positive, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34950.msg293451#msg293451, how to report it to avast! and what to do to exclude them until the problem is corrected.

if not a false positive or for further investigation
IN YOUR CASE WE KNOW IT's a baddie

run a scan with superantispy
run a scan with Malware Bytes Anti Malware
quarantine do not remove/delete
any hits?
post the MBAM log and the Super log in the Virus and Worms Forum here at Avast
with a link to your virus total results if any

and a link to this thread

most likely you will be asked to install and do a scan with HijackTHis