Author Topic: Why chose Avast over others such as Avira?  (Read 26972 times)

wyrmrider

Re: Why chose Avast over others such as Avira?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 10:16:46 PM »
I mostly use nsw for NDD and Speedisk and all the other old dos tools like the registry ones and boot tools
however the old cleansweep duplicate detector allows easy inspection of all instances of a file to see if a file name is in a place it's not supposed to be or a different size etc
This Quarterdeck version was toooo powerful for most users so the next year they dumbed it down

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 10:27:49 PM »
:) I think u have mixed up your postings wrymrider. I was talking abt NSW in the thread i started. (Chim is a senior member, this is only my 3rd post!)

;D  I was getting ready to point out that actually I wasn't a Senior Member, but rather a Full Member.  Just to be on the safe side, I took a look at one of my posts and --- WHOA!  What the ........?  I AM a Senior Member!   :o  It must have happened today, a while ago.  Probably the threshold is at going over into 201 Posts.
     But, if wrymrider HAS mixed up 2 posts between us, he shouldn't feel bad.  I had a slight mishap yesterday at the Opera Forum.  Someone there with the Screen Name "theoddbod" replied to my inquiry.  So, I thanked him ... referring to him as "Theo."  Then someone else comes in to Cyber Laugh.  There I was for ½ minute trying to figure out the joke, what I had missed.  Finally I realized there was NO "Theo" in the Screen Name.  The Screen Name, with the proper Spaces inserted, is actually, "the odd bod."   ;D

<<  I am sure u werent running NSW + WinXp on a 128MB RAM as i was!!
Do u still feel the need for NSW? I believe CCleaner or such, are good liteweight replacements for cleansweep.  >>

I'm having trouble envisioning your Win XP computer running on 128 MB.  My friends' Win XP Dell Dimension with 256 MB runs slower than my Win 98SE Gateway with 384 MB.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 10:41:31 PM »
I have P2p and outlook disabled
you could check and see how much resources they use in your case might make a difference
ps
I still have NSW 2001 installed
the last one with CleanSweep

So, to "Disable" these Protection Modules ... is that done with the Terminate Button?  It sounds so harsh ... so FINAL.  It sounds like if it was a mistake in me disabling them, I wouldn't be able to enable them back without an avast! Reinstall or something.  I take it IF the Terminate Button IS for disabling the Protection Modules, when you click it and disable the module ... the Start Button will become Un-Greyed Out?

On my Windows 98SE, how would I check how much resources they're using?  Isn't that capability really only a perk of Windows XP and above?
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 11:36:02 PM »
I still have NSW 2001 installed
Without NAV I suppose...
The best things in life are free.

wyrmrider

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 01:45:22 AM »
Tech 
you are psychic
also without auto updater integrator etc etc aud naseum

Looks as if Wyrm might have been answering a copy of his own post

back on track

Avast rocks
take a look at the Guinness Book of Records False Positive Fix
    forum thread
FP: ESL Aequitas
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 04:38:23 AM by wyrmrider »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 03:53:20 AM »
You might want to modify your post as the link has your PHPsessionID tied up in it. Whilst it doesn't stop you accessing the link it exposes the ID.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wyrmrider

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 04:38:55 AM »
link is a problem?
how to post links without ID?

Sesame

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 06:21:56 AM »
I choose both AntiVir and Avast!...but of course not on the same computer.  Why not?  Nowadays you can choose even OSes.

link is a problem?
how to post links without ID?
Simply, choose your link when browsing with logging in.  If you haven't logged in, the link should still have session ID.  Alternatively, you can simply delete ID manually but choose the link while logging in is probably smarter.

cimmind

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2008, 06:27:46 AM »
So, to "Disable" these Protection Modules ... is that done with the Terminate Button?  It sounds so harsh ... so FINAL.  It sounds like if it was a mistake in me disabling them, I wouldn't be able to enable them back without an avast! Reinstall or something.  I take it IF the Terminate Button IS for disabling the Protection Modules, when you click it and disable the module ... the Start Button will become Un-Greyed Out?

I dont believe terminating the modules does anything as drastic as that. We are terminating the modules from starting up, not uninstalling them.

At least for me, the start button does NOT become greyed up. I can always start using again any module that i have terminated.

Regarding resource usage, i dont know abt win98 but i think the usage pattern will be similar to that for winXP. What i find is:
ashServ takes maximum memory, as it will naturally be expected to.
ashWebSv is next (its use increases with active net connection)
All the remaining take minimal/none resource space in my comp.
Interestingly, Process Explorer shows me that the page faults of ashserv are the highest among all my running processes (>110,000), and of ashMaiSv are also quite high. But i dont know whether that affects system performance.   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 11:22:37 PM »
Interestingly, Process Explorer shows me that the page faults of ashserv are the highest among all my running processes (>110,000), and of ashMaiSv are also quite high. But i dont know whether that affects system performance.   
As far I know, not. Just temporary files being deleted, files with access blocked at that particular time... but maybe I'm wrong. Hope a person with more knowledge post about it.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 11:37:03 PM »
Well jqs.exe (JAVA Quick Start) makes that look possibly pedestrian on my system it is currently reading 2,575,562 page faults and RocketDock has over a million with firefox next with over 800,000. There really isn't anything to be bothered about in relation to page faults.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_fault
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gdiloren

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 05:17:26 AM »
Let's be honest. With resident guard in AVIRA you don't really need the internet mail scanning. Plus usually ISP are offering filtering of viruses (usually with NORTON) before they touch your PC So you don't really like AVAST for this add-on. No, I think I like the gui, the concept, the detection rate that has to be improved but that is not bad at all, the feeling of S-E-C-U-R-I-T-Y but as such I don't think AVIRA is a bad choice. It's just a question of falling in love (feelings mor than rational) :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 05:19:38 AM by gdiloren »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 02:45:14 PM »
Lets be honest, which is better prevention or cure.

Stopping something that hasn't even got on to your system if preferable to trying to deal with it 'on' your system. This is the principal of many of the avast shields to intercept, e.g. the Internet Mail stops infected email getting into your inbox, where it is possible that an anti-virus could end up deleting (or corrupting) the infected mail box and the subsequent loss of all emails in that mail box.

The Network shield can also block common exploits routes of entry, whilst this should be no substitute to a firewall we see many occurrences of the network shield intercepting such exploits in the forums, even though the user has a firewall.

You also appear to be confusing what an ISP does if you are talking in reference to the Web Shield pre scanning your http traffic, your ISP 'doesn't' filter your browsing content before you download into the browser cache (to do this if they offered it you would have to use a proxy given by the ISP). So this is far from usual practice by an ISP.

None of the above points have any basis in love but practicality, I much prefer pro-active defence rather than reactive defence.

gdiloren

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 03:41:24 PM »
You also appear to be confusing what an ISP does if you are talking in reference to the Web Shield pre scanning your http traffic, your ISP 'doesn't' filter your browsing content before you download into the browser cache (to do this if they offered it you would have to use a proxy given by the ISP). So this is far from usual practice by an ISP.

David, I was referring only to EMAIL scanning of viruses before they reach my INBOX by VIDEOTRON (CANADA) with SYMANTEC. I did an email EICAR test last year with CLAM antivirus without EMAIL protection ON and it was blocked by my ISP. It does not cover web protection though!!! :D

Sesame

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 04:00:52 PM »
None of the above points have any basis in love but practicality, I much prefer pro-active defence rather than reactive defence.
But If these proactive defenses are based on the same definition file, the detection rate is very important.

As for security services offered by ISPs, quite many ISPs offer spam filtering and virus scan services.  Unfortunately, virus scan service is not free on my ISP, though.  Then again, Gmail offers both services.