Author Topic: Windows Defender  (Read 5691 times)

christoher2405

Windows Defender
« on: November 22, 2008, 08:14:42 PM »
I ran an update this morning (program as well as definition), and needed to restart my computer for the program changes to take effect. The update was successfull, however when I used my computer again tonight, I was informed by Windows that Avast! and Windows Defender were switched off (but only for spyware, not viruses - slightly strange), and no matter how many times I clicked switch on in the security centre, Avast! wouldn't switch on, however a restart fixed this problem.

It did alert me to another issue though. I assume that Windows Defender must have been switched off by Avast! during setup, as I had it switched on before, however now it is switched back on (due to the steps I took to try to switch Avast! back on). I have heard that having two anti-malware programs running at the same time can conflict, so should I switch Windows Defender off? Is it unnecessary?

Any info appreciated, thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows Defender
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 08:21:28 PM »
Maybe this helps...
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg193534#msg193534
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm

avast does not conflict with Windows Defender, although you can disable the last one.
The best things in life are free.

christoher2405

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 08:32:36 PM »
OK thanks, see no reason to disable Windows Defender - two heads are better than one!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 11:23:43 PM »
OK thanks, see no reason to disable Windows Defender - two heads are better than one!
Look, the Security Center problem needs other solution different than just let WD running.
The best things in life are free.

christoher2405

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 05:38:50 PM »
Oh, it's fine, I restarted the computer and Avast! was detected by Security Center. Also, I have now disabled Windows Defender to save resources.

ardvark

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 09:35:29 PM »
Oh, it's fine, I restarted the computer and Avast! was detected by Security Center. Also, I have now disabled Windows Defender to save resources.

Hi...

If you have the resources to spare, I would leave it running. Like you said in a previous post, " two heads are better than one!" ;)

Best Regards...