Author Topic: 8 to 10 minutes to start windows XP  (Read 32534 times)

wyrmrider

Re: 8 to 10 minutes to start windows XP
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 02:15:16 AM »
Black Viper is back-- great news --I thought his site was down (years ago)
hiS TWEEKS CAN REALLY SPEED  (damn caps lock) up Windows 2000
XP too

Phil Stubbs

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 06:58:57 PM »
 :) :)
Hi all sorry for the delay in replying.
I tried the system msconfig did two items.qtask and ezsp then i was asked to restart, which I did, and got a message saying that the system was in diagnostic mode or something, I clicked the box to stop the message coming up again, as it said it would every time I started Windows.
Just as a point of interest, i started the PC up the other day with the internet connection switched off, so my PC showed 'no connection to internet' a 'cable is unplugged', but the PC started a lot faster, i then switched on at the socket to connect to the server and got going that way, but I don't want to switch the sever off at the wall every time I turn the PC on!
Is the system trying to start with the internet and everything else as well, which slows it down even more?
Thanking you again.
Sparks

Offline Geoffo

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 10:39:54 PM »
I had similar problem to yours a while back and the reason was that avast was loading at the same time as everything else, firewall, internet connection etc. What worked for me was to right click the blue avast ball, select program settings, then troubleshooting, and tick 'delay loading of avast! services until other system services'. Mine then loaded much quicker, and I then could untick this box. All has been ok since
Win7, Chrome, Avast MBAM, SUS,

olddog

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 04:15:17 AM »
...Just as a point of interest, i started the PC up the other day with the internet connection switched off, so my PC showed 'no connection to internet' a 'cable is unplugged', but the PC started a lot faster...

Whilst being in full agreement with previous comments of your PC being starved for memory, I think from the part of your latest post I have quoted, that you should also look very closely at what software is setup on your computer to automatically look for, and/or download updates. Typical items are Antivirus & Firewall software, Windows itself, Adobe products - the list goes on, and with a permanent internet connection these products could all start to look for and perhaps start to download updates as soon as the computer has loaded the necessary system components at bootup.

Remember that whilst having everything set to automatically update means you don't have to remember to do it, one of the negatives (and there are a number of them) is that you place your own use of the PC virtually as bottom priority. It will do the updating and you have to wait. One alternative of having it advise when updates are available, rather than automatically dowloading and installing them will help, but can still use a reasonable amount of time. Full manual control will minmise the problem, but you then have to have a strict manual houskeepinh policy.

rassel

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 11:26:04 AM »
I tried the system msconfig did two items.qtask and ezsp then i was asked to restart, which I did, and got a message saying that the system was in diagnostic mode or something, I clicked the box to stop the message coming up again, as it said it would every time I started Windows.

I get this words from Black Viper's website
"Do not use "msconfig" to disable services, type "services.msc" in the Run box instead!"
For more detail go this website http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 03:00:16 PM »
Use Bootvis to discover which driver/service is blocking XP speed loading.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BootVis
The best things in life are free.

Phil Stubbs

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 08:40:26 PM »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
WOW!!!!
Did the Bootvis program and my start up is down to just under 3 minutes!!
I fully understand that it will always be dependent upon the system i am running, and because everything wants to start up at the same time, but this is a massive difference to the 8 or so minutes that i had before, plus if i ever dared to try to run a program whilst it was booting up before,  :o well the PC really got upset with me!!
But now, well massive difference.
Many thanks!!
Sparks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 09:55:21 PM »
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Many thanks!!
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)

Phil Stubbs

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 10:33:01 PM »
 :) :) :)
Thanks for your input, mmm, i have found since the bootvis change that when i go to open other systems 'my computer' etc or other systems, it does seem to take longer the first time i go in.
After the first time if i go in again then it opens straight away, is this something i must just get used to?
Sparks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 10:35:49 PM »
After the first time if i go in again then it opens straight away, is this something i must just get used to?
BootVis is a diagnosis tool, not intended to speed up boot times... you can see which driver or service is slowing the boot, change your installated programs and so on. It's not supported by Microsoft anymore. I have Vista and it does not work on Vista... so, can't help further.

Phil Stubbs

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2008, 10:43:45 PM »
 :) :)
Thanks anyway, i will have a look at the start up options to see which is slowing things down.
Sparks :)

rassel

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2008, 05:50:45 AM »
WOW!!!!
Did the Bootvis program and my start up is down to just under 3 minutes!!

Sounds like a good program and I will try it.

ardvark

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2008, 08:46:15 AM »
Hi Sparks...

I would really have to stick with my earlier assessment as an overall solution to your problem. 224 MB's of memory is simply insufficient with most of today's software and it will only get worse in the future as 2, 3 and 4 GB's (and more) of memory become standard. :(

Best Regards...

YoKenny

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2008, 12:26:33 PM »
Hi Sparks...

I would really have to stick with my earlier assessment as an overall solution to your problem. 224 MB's of memory is simply insufficient with most of today's software and it will only get worse in the future as 2, 3 and 4 GB's (and more) of memory become standard. :(

Best Regards...
I find that my old PIII crawls with 256MB RAM and has quite acceptable performance with 512MB RAM.

RAM is inexpensive and the best money you can spend even than buying roses for your girlfriend.

Phil Stubbs

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2008, 09:56:30 PM »
 :D :D :D :D
Better money than roses??? MMMM must think about that one.
OK decided about that, maybe roses for the wife to keep her happy, but more RAM for the PC to keep that happy!!!
If you could help with searching for more RAM and where to get it at a reasonable cost, it would be most helpful! ;D
Thanks again.