Author Topic: avast ball wont spin  (Read 3284 times)

rdmaloyjr

avast ball wont spin
« on: July 26, 2008, 07:54:55 PM »
My avast! ball won't spin, but avast! is scanning.  In program settings it it set to animate.

What's wrong?  I tried a repair of avast!, but it didn't do any good.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast ball wont spin
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 09:10:05 PM »
Try unchecking the animate icon OK the change, open it again and check the option again and see if that has any effect.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 01:38:57 AM »
David,

I tried what you suggested.  It didn't work.  I even tried rebooting, no dice.

I then tried unchecking "show avast! tray icon".  After a reboot the icon didn't show.  I then checked "show avast! tray icon".  Rebooted.  Now the blue ball is animated. :)

My other XP SP3 computer didn't have this problem.  I've never had a problem like this before, that I can remember.

What do you suppose caused it ???

Thank you for your help. :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 02:33:13 AM »
You're welcome.

I really have no idea why, not unlike firewalls that block applications that are allowed in their settings and the only way round it is to remove the entry and let it ask again.

So that is why I suggested the change of setting to disable and enable again. Thankfully going up one more level has worked for you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 05:33:05 AM »
Today the avast! ball stopped spinning again.  I have Windows Defender on my computer, but it is completely shut off, except to occasionly update it & run a fast scan.  I did this today.  I seem to remember reading in avast! forums of WD making The Ball disappear. 

I just went through the drill of unchecking "Show avast! tray icon", reboot.  Check "Show avast! tray icon", reboot".  Once again my avast! ball spins.

Will somebody from ALWIL get together with MS to fix the problem of WD messing with The Ball?

I don't have this problem with my other XP SP3 computer, it has avast!, ZAAS & WD running together in real-time.  No conflicts.  (ZAAS: ZoneAlarm AntiSpyware)

The "problem" computer has only Avast!, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol & ZA free.  I don't count WD because it is shutdown as I said above.