Author Topic: Trying to reach Mcafee on Firefox  (Read 16147 times)

ace2701

Trying to reach Mcafee on Firefox
« on: August 05, 2008, 11:32:01 PM »
Has anyone had any trouble trying to reach siteadvisor.com on Mcafee (or any other site,for that matter)?
I had to uninstall the add-on from my FF, and now I can't download or install a new copy.  Anywhere I
go, when I get transferred to siteadvisor.com, I can't make contact.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Trying to reach Mcafee on Firefox
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 11:42:35 PM »
Exactly how are trying to connect, e.g. is this ?
siteadvisor.com seems very slow to respond.

I would say you should go to the Mozilla add-ons site and search for siteadvisor from there to get the add-on, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 11:46:37 PM »
Hi ace2701,

I have dropped MacAfee's SiteAdvisor add-on a long time ago for Fx or Flock, only ran it inside IE7, and their results are not quite reliable because it is not the actual situation on the net that it checks against, but what is in their databases, and this could be quite different from the momentary situation, with the modern ways to hack sites there is no longer any distinction between good sites and evil sites. The malcreants reduced the validity of these URL checkers quite some bit, believe me....
Better is Finjan Secure Browsing 1.314 add=on or the real-time DrWeb's anti-virus link checker enforced through Nightly Tester Tools for Fx 3. You could also use scandoo.com search-engine and add that to you regular search engines in Fx,it  does more or less the same as SiteAdvisor would.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

ace2701

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 11:54:01 PM »
Tried that.  No siteadvisor listed.  For that matter, any plugin  on any site which leads to siteadvisor.com leads nowhere.

ace2701

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 12:01:53 AM »
Thanks polonus. I've installed Finjan, and will see how it works.  If you don't hear anything further from me on this subject, consider
this case closed.   ;)

gdiloren

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 12:37:28 AM »
Thanks polonus. I've installed Finjan, and will see how it works.  If you don't hear anything further from me on this subject, consider
this case closed.   ;)
ace 2701. Do a simple GOOGLE search on siteadvisor. You'll get your link. I agree that FINJAN is far better. I'd like scandoo to be integrated like FINJAN and siteadvisor in the browser, in order not to get separate result.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 01:05:49 AM »
Hi gdiloren,

Have you experienced that they differ qua results? There was an issue with MacAfee's SiteAdvisor  blocking the sites of sans institute because they reported on some flaws with SiteAdvisor, not a thing that will enhance my trust in their results: http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=4799
Next they blocked a German site that was critical about the MacAfee AV result. On two of these ticks, it is out for me- don't trust it anymore, no further need to defend it anymore. Did you knew about these issues?

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Sesame

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 03:01:35 AM »
where do i download it from?form thr mcafee site?
http://www.siteadvisor.com/download/ff_preinstall.html

Some questions are better asked to Google.
However, WOT and Finjan SecureBrowsing may be more helpful.
Reusing my old post due to sheer laziness.  ;D

Have you experienced that they differ qua results? There was an issue with MacAfee's SiteAdvisor  blocking the sites of sans institute because they reported on some flaws with SiteAdvisor, not a thing that will enhance my trust in their results: http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=4799
Next they blocked a German site that was critical about the MacAfee AV result. On two of these ticks, it is out for me- don't trust it anymore, no further need to defend it anymore. Did you knew about these issues?
I couldn't remember details but, personally, I don't have site advisor due to my doubt.  I don't recommend it strongly to the others, neither.

gdiloren

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 07:32:45 PM »
Hi gdiloren,

polonus

Thanks polonus, I'm not looking anymore to force the installation on my user account while its results (installed on admin.) will be filtered. No I never experienced any problems with siteadvisor except installation problems in FF but I am happy you made me know FINJAN better, thanks to AVAST!!! ;)

Sesame

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 12:00:48 AM »
I dropped by since I came across a YouTube video titled as SiteAdvisor vs. MyWOT.  It's done by a WOT fan but he/she compares them quite comprehensively.

I remembered some reasons why I uninstalled SiteAdvisor...the result felt rather uneven depending on sites and, at times, I couldn't agree with the results on some sites.  So, the reason is rather subjective and heuristic although I find some people felt more or less in the same way.  Again, I have to say, "try it out yourself and see if you like it or not."

avast08

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 11:20:15 PM »
hi everybody... i want to know if I install SiteAdvisor, I have avast, spybot search and destroy, plug in dr web, IE7 ...
thanks ...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 11:31:23 PM »
hi everybody... i want to know if I install SiteAdvisor, I have avast, spybot search and destroy, plug in dr web, IE7 ...
thanks ...
It won't be bad as web checkers do another job, parallel, than the resident antivirus and antispyware.
I would suggest WOT extension on Firefox or Finjan rather than SiteAdvisor.
The best things in life are free.

avast08

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 11:34:07 PM »
ok... i will try...  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 11:41:45 PM »
ok... i will try...  ;)
Post the results and your experiences ;)
The best things in life are free.

avast08

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 04:34:45 PM »
Finjan does not detect almost anything, I try to webs xxx , cracks, and green mark, it is rare, scandoo and siteadvior detected more quantity ... I believe it is not very effective ...