Author Topic: ashwebSV.exe using 65,840 MB Memory  (Read 31772 times)

mmaehre

Re: ashwebSV.exe using 65,840 MB Memory
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 08:19:40 PM »
Thanks for your time and effort, but there's still no explanation as to why Avast started eating my ram overnight. No, it never goes down, even when shutting down Firefox and Live Messenger and there should be no web activity whatsoever.  No P2P or anything. 512mb ram is not much, but it used to be sufficient. Now my hd is working overtime and I have to wait forever when I go online to check my email, etc. I installed Advanced SystemCare to monitor ram usage, and even after a deep cleaning process usage is 75% due to ash......exe

Uninstalling Avast and going back to crappy Norton.  :'(

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 08:45:22 PM »
I installed Advanced SystemCare to monitor ram usage, and even after a deep cleaning process usage is 75% due to ash......exe

I must say I don't get your calculations. In the previous post, you wrote that the ash*.exe processes use something like 50MB. So it can hardly "cause" 75% usage - even if they used zero (no memory at all), you would get lower by at most 10% (if you have 512MB RAM).
In general, I wouldn't trust any software showing some kind of "total memory usage" in percents - that's just crap.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 09:56:20 PM »
In general, I wouldn't trust any software showing some kind of "total memory usage" in percents - that's just crap.
iObit was doing a good job with the Advanced Windows Care... then it became a bloatware shareware Advanced System Care.
Hope they don't do the same with the Defrag tool... it's a pity.
The best things in life are free.

wozza37

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 10:41:36 PM »
i found that the "ashWebsv.exe" also takes up a lot of memory

Solution

1. go into the avast on-access screen (double click on the "A" icon in the taskbar)
2. click on the web shield and then select customise (top right of the box)
3. uncheck the "Use intelligent stream scanning" box and click ok

the memory usage should be reduced

it would be best to go back into the settings and re-check the box to keep your computer safe

hope that helps.

barry55

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 05:26:12 AM »
I've had the same problem as described on my three computers. After they completed the boot process
I checked ashWebsv.exe mem usage through Task Manager and it would always be between 50,000K and 65,000K and would never decrease.
No web browser was started yet.

I initially would terminate Web Shield for the session and then immediately restart it.
That would solve the problem until the next time the computer was booted.
I did more investigating and found the ashWebsv.exe mem usage seemed to be directly related to the
Windows XP System Restore size setting and also Windows Indexing Service for searches. The thing both of these services have in common is that they have a large number of files stored in the hidden directory "System Volume Information".

I have three computers. All with excessive memory usage showing up from the Avast4 file ashWebsv.exe.
Two computers have System Restore "on" and Indexing turned off.
The third computer has System Restore turned off, but at one time had Indexing turned on.
They all have different size drives from 40gb to 160gb.
They all have Win XP, Firefox 2.0020, Adaware, Spywareblaster, BOClean, Avast4 (4.8.1335) and only a router firewall.

When I reduced the size of the System Restore settings to 5% instead of the default 12%,
the ashWebsv.exe mem usage issue was solved on the two computers that had System Restore set to "on".
The third computer, because Indexing was turned on at one time but no longer, had a directory named "catalog.wci", under "System Volume Information" which also had many files within it.
I then deleted "catalog.wci".

Now, immediately after all of the computers boot up, the ashWebsv.exe mem usage is around 1600K on all
computers. After starting Firefox, the ashWebsv.exe mem usage would fluctuate as expected both increasing and decreasing, mostly leveling off between 10,000K to 16,000K with limited testing so far.

After further testing, I also noticed when Avast updates are downloaded, ashWebsv.exe mem usage spikes to around 45,000K or more after the download is finished and installed. I would then have to pause or terminate Web Shield and then restart it to release the memory. It didn't seem to cause any problems but would just grow as I surfed the web.

I decided to turn off automatic updates because of the ashWebsv.exe mem usage issue. This way the computers boot up faster and I then manually do the updates at some point each day, usually just before I shut down. I found you can always release the memory by pausing Web Shield and immediately restarting it if I happen to do an update during my computer use.

After 5 days of observation, I no longer have any issues with ashWebsv.exe mem usage.

YoKenny

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 08:09:01 AM »
I do not have an issue with ashWebsv.exe

I do not run the obsolete Ad-Aware nor have Indexing service turned on nor Firefox and I would not let anything from Comodo near my system.

SpywareBlaster does not take up any memory as it is passive.

I have System Restore enabled with 5% storage size and Automatic Updates enabled and I do not have an issue with system boot up time.

bfarber

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 07:40:51 PM »
Just did a google search on the same issue which led me here.  I, too, have recently noticed a large increase in the amount of memory avast is using.

I'm a web-developer working for a company, but at home.  This necessitates me using a lot of communication tools.  Right now I have a program called HUD which manages my VOIP phone, campfire chat (through a prism shell), trillian, WinSCP, Google sidebar and Firefox all opened and ashWebSv.exe is using 414,340K memory (out of 4GB).  This seems entirely excessive, as I'm doing nothing specific at the moment other than typing this despite the number of applications I have open.  firefox.exe after being restarted is using 132,180K memory, while the AV software protecting me is using ~3 times that?

gery

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 09:08:10 PM »
Should this be a sort of antagonism  with another prog or something? it can;t be that high
Firefox is eating 114.432 kb in my system and i am a bit surprised