Author Topic: Going round in circles. Demo version ended - can't install full version  (Read 18728 times)

keithhmh

My trial version has expired. Every time I use my mac now I get an email alert message which I can only enter "reset counters"

I decided to bite the bullet and get the new version.

I drag the application to the trash bin and have download what I assumed to be the new version for sale (avast.2.74.zip) and attempted to install it and it says my license has expired i.e. full circle.

What am I doing wrong

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Going round in circles. Demo version ended - can't install full version
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 03:13:28 PM »
Maybe an installation from the scratch? ???
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 04:24:48 PM »
Have you entered your key file?  When you purchased  Avast for mac you should have received a .dat file. Just go to the avast menu and choose License and navigate to the .dat file you received.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

keithhmh

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 06:37:31 PM »
Thanks for coming back.

Hi Tech - that's what I thought I was doing by putting Avast appl. into the trash bin and downloading avast.2.74.zip but it puts me back where I started with a license request

Hi Mac - i haven't purchased Avast for Mac yet, that is what I thought I was trying to do by downloading and installing 2.74 - I don't remember having a key file for the trial version

I don't seem to be removing the application properly. I have followed the earlier thread about removal but I can't get into the old app to see what is set. Any thoughts ideas help willl bemuch appreciated. I am new to the Mac so  I don't know my way around it yet

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 12:59:27 AM »
Thanks for coming back.

Hi Tech - that's what I thought I was doing by putting Avast appl. into the trash bin and downloading avast.2.74.zip but it puts me back where I started with a license request

Hi Mac - i haven't purchased Avast for Mac yet, that is what I thought I was trying to do by downloading and installing 2.74 - I don't remember having a key file for the trial version

I don't seem to be removing the application properly. I have followed the earlier thread about removal but I can't get into the old app to see what is set. Any thoughts ideas help willl bemuch appreciated. I am new to the Mac so  I don't know my way around it yet
Hallo,
there's no need for removal - the "demo" and "full" version is quite the same, the only thing that you need is, surprisingly, the license file :).

Thus, it's not question of uninstalling, but selecting the license file (the dialog which says that license is expired has a "select-license" button).

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

keithhmh

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 08:30:13 AM »
But when I press change license it asks me to identify a license file and I have no idea where to find it. (I am new to the MAC and so find some of this a bit bewildering). Do I have to apply somewhere seperately for a license?

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 03:10:14 AM »
But when I press change license it asks me to identify a license file and I have no idea where to find it. (I am new to the MAC and so find some of this a bit bewildering). Do I have to apply somewhere seperately for a license?
hallo,
pof course you need the license file (obtain it by registering on our pages). the, the file (usually sent via e-mail) shouild be stored anywhere, and you will point to this file when avast asks for it. the file is copied to internal location when succesfully inserted, so there's no need to keep it at the original place then.

summary: get a license file and point to the file - that's what avast asks for.

regards
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

chuckmg

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 09:49:39 PM »
I have purchased the Mac version, installed it, and downloaded the license.dat . However :( , when I try to execute it, it tells me that the license has expired and I should change it.  I click on Change, & select  license.dat.   I get the same message with the 3 choices again, ... and again, ...and again!

What now [brown cow]?
Chuck

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 12:44:53 AM »
My trial version has expired. Every time I use my mac now I get an email alert message which I can only enter "reset counters"

I decided to bite the bullet and get the new version.

I drag the application to the trash bin and have download what I assumed to be the new version for sale (avast.2.74.zip) and attempted to install it and it says my license has expired i.e. full circle.

What am I doing wrong

hallo, nothing is wrong, this is what it should really do - re-installing an app should not bring new trial up - on mac, it would be too simple then :). and the yellow coloring is correct too - simply, those mails weren't scanned, thus, they re labelled this way. what to do?

there are few options:
- get a real (paid) license
- or help us with betatesting of the new version (there's quite long hardcoded trial)
- remove/disable avast's rule from Mail app (preferences-rules)
- reinstall the whole system from scratch - yes, this way, new trial will be activated as for brand new machine

regards,
pc

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 12:47:07 AM »
I have purchased the Mac version, installed it, and downloaded the license.dat . However :( , when I try to execute it, it tells me that the license has expired and I should change it.  I click on Change, & select  license.dat.   I get the same message with the 3 choices again, ... and again, ...and again!

What now [brown cow]?
Chuck

is the license.dat file okay (not currupted, etc.)? is it the right kind of license (look for AV_MAC inside the file)? what says the application log?

regards,
pc

chuckmg

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 02:37:54 AM »
AV_Mac is in the license.dat file.

what says the application log?
what is the filename of the application log?

Chuck

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 08:41:05 AM »
AV_Mac is in the license.dat file.

what says the application log?
what is the filename of the application log?

Chuck

hallo,
should be "avast Activity Log.txt", located under ~/Library/Application Support/com.avast.MacAvast directory.

regards,
pc

chuckmg

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 06:43:19 AM »
PC

Attached is an excerpt from the activity log.  This excerpt is repeated every time I try to register by pointing to License.dat.

Chuck

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 01:29:30 PM »
PC

Attached is an excerpt from the activity log.  This excerpt is repeated every time I try to register by pointing to License.dat.

Chuck

Hallo,
it says that the license is not OK (466 means that the license is corrupted - the file's signature didn't match). Please, send the license file to me (cimbal :at: avast.com) to check it... maybe you saved it wrong way?

regards,
pc

will.smothers

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 05:15:42 AM »
Zilog,
I purchased for our company a 10 pack of the Avast! Professional licenses w/ 2 years of support and when we did we were assured that the Professional license would work on all our PCs and our ONE Mac in the office. Well, the licenses works fine on all the PCs, but I cannot get it to install on the Mac because we did not get a license file for the Mac.

Now, I do not want to hear that we will have to buy any additional licenses because we were assured that the Professional license would work on the Mac Version. I specifically asked this question in advance to avoid any problems...

Now, how do I go about getting a .dat file for the one and only Mac in my office.

- Will Smothers, MCSE