Author Topic: Turning off autoupdate?  (Read 8034 times)

RedScorp

Turning off autoupdate?
« on: April 08, 2004, 06:17:15 AM »
I am running avast with Sygate Personal Firewall Pro and it seems that no matter how many IP's I authorize the autoupdate always pops up in Sygate asking for permission but never works.  

Is there a way I can turn off the autoupdate feature?  It's incredibly annoying and I'd like to update once a week anyway or at my convenience not at my inconvenience.

Thanks!

techie101

Re:Turning off autoupdate?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 06:37:42 AM »
Redscorp,

You can select the option (or not) to Autoupdate by right clicking on the A ball in the tray and opening up the Avast interface.  Click the little "dot" in the upper left corner to open up the menu.  Go down to Updating and click it.
Select what you want and Ok to close.

Next...Why would you only want to update once a week?
If a new virus database comes out more than once a week (and they do!).....Don't you want to have the best protection available?  If you only want to update it when you want, I hope that a "virus" thinks the same way you do!

I use Sygate also and have no problem with "permissions".  Avast has 3 processes that run not just 1.  When Sysgate asks if you should give Avast permission to access the internet, give it.  If it does not "remember" the settings, then I would suspect a problem with Sygate.  I have had similar trouble and needed to reinstall the FW.

Good luck,
Techie

RedScorp

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 06:50:21 AM »
Well not once a week but when it's more convenient for me...like every evening right before I go to bed or when I get home from work or something.  

Having it pop up at least a few times a day and maually having to set sygate to "allow all" just to allow avast to update is a bit excessive and annoying.

Thanks for the help.

techie101

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 07:45:22 AM »
RedScorp,

What I am trying to tell you is that something else is wrong in your system.  Avast should not be asking for access 3 or 4 times a day UNLESS it is not connecting for an update.

This would mean that it is being blocked.  You see, Avast will attempt to connect to the download server to ascertain if there is a new update.
If it cannot connect, then it will attempt to try again in about 4 hours.

It appears that Avast is trying to update but cannot.
Try the manual update.  Will it update manually?

Let me know.  I would rather see you get Avast working as it should be then to leave yourself open to a virus.......should you go to bed without "pushing the button"   ;D

Techie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 03:37:17 PM »
Having it pop up at least a few times a day and maually having to set sygate to "allow all" just to allow avast to update is a bit excessive and annoying.

avast searches for updates each 4 hours after a 'successful' checking.
So, if you do not correct your firewall settings like techie said, you will see this at least 3 times a day (if you are connected all the time).

But, seems that you must correct Sygate behavior. The updates are silent in the backgroud if you configure avast correctly  8)
The best things in life are free.

RedScorp

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 03:49:41 PM »
Ok, I guess I'm a bit slow and missed the entire point. ;D  I'll try reinstalling Sygate as you had and see if that clears it up.

smslord

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 04:04:09 PM »
Thanks for the tip!

I turned it off, since my PC is really slow.

Is there a way not to load Avast when the machine boots? I would like to start it manually after iWindows 95 loads.

ylap

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 04:37:23 PM »
Why don't you change your firewall to ZoneAlarm? I had Kerio PF, Sygate PF, and know i'm using ZoneAlarm. Till know I'm thinking, that is the best sollution I've done. There are no conflicts with avast! and oter programs, and it's very easy to use. I think you should try it. It's free. www.zonelabs.com

techie101

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 04:48:18 PM »
RS,

Ah....the truth revealed!  Windows95?  I guess that OS is still around.  Avast should still work fine with the older OS, but I am not sure that Sygate will!

If you have continued problems connecting, then ZA is a good alternative although it uses a bit more memory than Sygate.  I have both.  ZA seems to like my W98 system better than Sygate, but my ME an XP get along fine with Sygate and Avast Home and Pro.

Let us know if you have any further difficulty.

Techie

vinbob

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 05:20:50 PM »
Windows 95?  uurggh

RedScorp

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 11:00:02 PM »
Techie,

I'm not running Win95 it was a different poster.  I'm running XP Pro.  I'll reinstall Sygate in a bit and see how it works.

techie101

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2004, 03:38:11 AM »
RS,

My apology......eyes getting a bit weary these days.   ;D

XP works just dandy with Avast.  As a matter of fact, I have pretty much the same configuration as you do now, so I should be able to help you get it running correctly.

My Sygate, Avast and XP are very stable.

Techie

neal62

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2004, 06:11:06 AM »
RedScorp,

Might I suggest this firewall to you. It's called "Outpost 1.0" which is a free firewall. I have used Zone Alarm, Sygate and consider this one to be better than Zone Alarm (Free) and equally as good if  not better than Sygate. Its located at www.agnitum.com. Once there go up and click on "downloads" and that will take you to the download site of their free version. I haven't had any problems with Outpost and Avast. I also use a V.O.I.P. program and everything interfaces just fine with this firewall. Just a suggestion. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2004, 04:44:25 PM »
Thanks for the tip!

I turned it off, since my PC is really slow.

Is there a way not to load Avast when the machine boots? I would like to start it manually after iWindows 95 loads.

I tryed avast! some months ago in a Windows 95 machine but I cannot remember what are the exactly 'links' pasted into the Start up menu...

Can you say something about them? After that I can guide you to 'not' load avast at start up... (I guess)  ;D
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2004, 05:57:43 PM »
RedScorp,

Here is what you should look for:

MSConfig Startup menu:
asdisp
ashmaisv

Sygate Applications menu:  (Allow permission)
ashserv
ashmaisv
aswupd
avastsetup

Let me know how you do.

Techie