Author Topic: A-icon don't spin, and scan question.  (Read 3117 times)

roatan4us

A-icon don't spin, and scan question.
« on: August 09, 2008, 02:19:21 AM »
I just realized that my Avaste home (free) version was outdated. I registrered my program again, and input the new registration key. When I right click the a-icon, and go to About Avast, it will tell me it is updated with a new date in 2009. It also previously told me that the registration was successful. The blue icon with the a does not spin anymore. I liked the visual spin telling me it was scanning. The setting for Animation of icon is on. Why is it not moving?

Also, I tried to do a scan after I put in my new registration key by right clicking the icon and go to Start Avast Antivirus. This is the way to do it, right? It scanned, but never went above 0% completion. Found 3 adwares and I put them in the chest. Then it said Avast needs to restart the computer. I assume that means it was done, right? Do I have to tell the machine to scan at a certain time, or does it do it automatically all the time?

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: A-icon don't spin, and scan question.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 03:03:15 AM »
avast Program Settings, Appearance, Animate the icon when scanning.

If you haven't already done this - Right click on the avast icon, select Updating, Program Update (as simply registering doesn't update the program) the latest version of avast is 4.8.1229.

A restart is normally required after a program update.

You can't tell the machine when to do a scan as the home version doesn't have scheduled scanning (only pro). Personally I don't feel you need it as avast is resident and always scanning files as you access them. I do a weekly on-demand scan Standard Sensitivity and No archives, that should be satisfactory.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

roatan4us

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 05:31:22 AM »

If you haven't already done this - Right click on the avast icon, select Updating, Program Update (as simply registering doesn't update the program) the latest version of avast is 4.8.1229.

Thanks, this was the step that I was not aware of. I updated, restarted and it is now spinning.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 02:09:01 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security