Author Topic: iAntiVirus™  (Read 9053 times)

rdmaloyjr

iAntiVirus™
« on: August 09, 2008, 04:21:53 AM »
Powerful AntiVirus and Spyware Protection for Mac OSX
http://www.iantivirus.com/

Features:
Powerful malware protection      
Virus, worm and Trojan protection      
Spyware, adware and dialer protection
Scan and Remove      
Smart Updates      
IntelliGuard™ Real-Time Protection      
Community support      
Home and Home Office Use      
Business and Commercial Use      
Dedicated 24/7 support      
Phone support
Free & paid versions

I thought OSX was not subject to spyware? :o
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 04:27:21 AM by rdmaloyjr »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: iAntiVirus™
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 05:22:03 AM »
Powerful AntiVirus and Spyware Protection for Mac OSX
http://www.iantivirus.com/

Features:
Powerful malware protection      
Virus, worm and Trojan protection      
Spyware, adware and dialer protection
Scan and Remove      
Smart Updates      
IntelliGuard™ Real-Time Protection      
Community support      
Home and Home Office Use      
Business and Commercial Use      
Dedicated 24/7 support      
Phone support
Free & paid versions

I thought OSX was not subject to spyware? :o

Seems they just ported their windows Engine to the Mac much like avast did, it probably just has the PCTools AntiSpyware engine integrated into it.  As you Know Avast for Mac has basically the same engine (and also the same database) as Avast for Windows, so since avast now detects spyware, you could say avast for Mac is technically a anti-spyware app too.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 05:35:27 AM by .: Mac :. »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 06:11:01 AM »
Seems they just ported their windows Engine to the Mac much like avast did, it probably just has the PCTools AntiSpyware engine integrated into it.  As you Know Avast for Mac has basically the same engine (and also the same database) as Avast for Windows, so since avast now detects spyware, you could say avast for Mac is technically a anti-spyware app too.

The iAntiVirus™ database is not cluttered with signatures for Windows specific threats which your Mac is immune against.

While avast! for osx may have the same data base as avast! for Windows, iAntiVirus™ doesn't.  Clam Xam does check for virues that effect Windows to keep from passing them to Windows computers. 
Back in the days before OS X, the number of viruses which attacked Macintosh users totalled somewhere between about 60 and 80. Today, the number of viruses actively attacking OS X users is...NONE! However, this doesn't mean we should get complacent about checking incoming email attachments or web downloads, for two reasons. Firstly, there's no guarantee that we Mac users will continue to enjoy the status quo, but more importantly, the majority of the computing world use machines running MS Windows, for which an enormous quantity of viruses exist, so we must be vigilant in checking the files we pass on to our friends and colleagues etc. For example, if you're a wise person and you've turned MS Office's macro support off then you're not going to notice that virus which is hiding inside this month's edition of Extreme Ironing.doc which your friend sent you. If you then forward that document to a less wise person who has not turned off the macro support, then you have most likely just sent him a shiny new Pandora's Box with a sign saying "Open this end"!

Rafel

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 01:56:58 PM »
There's a problem.
iAV has got free version.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 04:46:54 PM »

The iAntiVirus™ database is not cluttered with signatures for Windows specific threats which your Mac is immune against.

While avast! for osx may have the same data base as avast! for Windows, iAntiVirus™ doesn't.  Clam Xam does check for virues that effect Windows to keep from passing them to Windows computers. 
Back in the days before OS X, the number of viruses which attacked Macintosh users totalled somewhere between about 60 and 80. Today, the number of viruses actively attacking OS X users is...NONE! However, this doesn't mean we should get complacent about checking incoming email attachments or web downloads, for two reasons. Firstly, there's no guarantee that we Mac users will continue to enjoy the status quo, but more importantly, the majority of the computing world use machines running MS Windows, for which an enormous quantity of viruses exist, so we must be vigilant in checking the files we pass on to our friends and colleagues etc. For example, if you're a wise person and you've turned MS Office's macro support off then you're not going to notice that virus which is hiding inside this month's edition of Extreme Ironing.doc which your friend sent you. If you then forward that document to a less wise person who has not turned off the macro support, then you have most likely just sent him a shiny new Pandora's Box with a sign saying "Open this end"!

See thats the problem, there is just no real threat at the moment. Most Mac users Dont run AV software, its just a waste of resources. Most of the Mac users that do run AV software are windows converts that just feel "Naked" without it.

I have 3 Macs at home, Avast is only on one of them so that I can respond to questions in the forums. One of the benefits of the Mac is you dont have to waste 100-200MB of RAM on security applications.

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Rafel

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 07:56:53 PM »
I run Ubuntu, and no AV,hehehe.
I have got AV in my XP machine, and i use it for playing my old games :D, and of course, i have installed AVAST.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 04:13:12 AM »
One of the benefits of the Mac is you dont have to waste 100-200MB of RAM on security applications.
Considering the cost of Ram, I can certainly afford an extra Gig of Ram a lot easier than  a new Mac... ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 05:29:17 AM »
One of the benefits of the Mac is you dont have to waste 100-200MB of RAM on security applications.
Considering the cost of Ram, I can certainly afford an extra Gig of Ram a lot easier than  a new Mac... ;D
And when I install that same extra Gig of Ram in My Mac, there is more free still  :)
I run Ubuntu, and no AV,hehehe.
I have got AV in my XP machine, and i use it for playing my old games :D, and of course, i have installed AVAST.
Yeah, thats also a benefit of Linux too 8).  In fact linux is actually the better OS because its Free and can be run on any machine where Mac OS X can not.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 05:55:33 AM »
And when I install that same extra Gig of Ram in My Mac, there is more free still  :)

Alright you two, Don't make me pull this forum over. ;)
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!