Author Topic: Scanning Archives - 7z  (Read 14724 times)

4u1e

Re:Scanning Archives - 7z
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2004, 07:16:04 PM »
Please tell me it'll still work on Windows 95.

I realise that this is a completely unreasonable request (and that some people will consider me a walking security risk for using such an ancient beastie), but it would be greatly appreciated - I need to get Win95 through to it's 10th anniversary.  ;D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2004, 07:18:59 PM »
Of course, there's no need to artificially break Win95 compatibility... (and from the program's perspective, Win95 is not so different from Win98)...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Timo Schmidt

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2004, 11:06:55 PM »
I don't think a firewall is "very common" for an antivirus-program.

Since WinXP SP2 (RC1) has a build in firewall most people don't really need a firewall in the future. And even if there are better personal firewalls (sygate, tiny, kerio) on the security-market the demand for such a software will be low (I think) due to the fact that everyone will have a build-in-firewall with SP2.

So in my eyes a firewall in avast! would only bloat the system ;)

Greetings

Timo

p.s.  the only virus-program with integrated firewall (and dialer-control) I know is Softwin Bitdefender Professional - but this costs extra cash :D ;)

« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 11:16:27 PM by Timo Schmidt »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2004, 08:46:02 AM »
Just between you and me -- the XP SP2 firewall really sucks. I can't help myself... :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 09:34:07 AM by Vlk »

Outsider

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2004, 09:26:31 AM »
I also understood that the XP firewall is ... well.. just an opportunity for Microsoft to be able to say 'that XP has a firewall built in'.

Re new version of avast!; IMHO I also wouldn't mind seperate applications (and thus companies) for antivirus and firewall and antispyware. Risk spreading so to say...  

Furthermore my wish truly is that the avast! antivirus Home Edition will not be any further ..euh..'crippled' compared to the Pro Edition.... (I still remember the avast32 days with no skins but with full functionality for Home user...) Get the money where it is: the subscribing companies.  What do they care what update and maintanance fees cost... As log as the scanning is up to par with the big names.

Another opinion of mine: at least one 'daily at xx.xx hours, if not executed, repeated every 1 hour till executed' scan scheduling option would be nice, the screensaver scanning is better then nothing but...
I do think at least 1 basic possibility for good scheduling of scanning and updating (in that regards avast! needs to add nothing; dial-uprecognition is perfect as it is) is a minimum, even for a free version.

And for Xmas I would really like a lower footprint guys.. let's face it, it's a much discussed subject, and a bit painful..not everyone has 500+ Mb RAM... :-\

But of course; bottom of the line; thank you avast! for the free Home version, and keep up the good work. :)

Greetings, Outsider

Timo Schmidt

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2004, 11:53:46 AM »
Just between you and me -- the XP SP2 firewall really sucks. I can't help myself... :)

As I wrote; even if there are better firewalls on the market noone really cares because everyone thinks that he/she has a build-in-firewall in XP-SP2. So there is not really a demand for a external firewall ...

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2004, 06:52:16 PM »
Windows firewall doesn't suck. Ok it lacks program control so its only inbound protection. Also you need to know how to set ports and everything will work just fine. I'm now using it due to low memory usage (even 10MB is too much -> McAfee and Sygate...) and i don't have any problems even with P2P programs.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2004, 06:57:17 PM »

And for Xmas I would really like a lower footprint guys.. let's face it, it's a much discussed subject, and a bit painful..not everyone has 500+ Mb RAM... :-\

Sorry,but i must dissagree with you.  avast! is the most conservative antivirus when it comes to RAM. Norton is story for itself,NOD32 uses more RAM,also Pc-cillin,Kaspersky,BitDefender... and probably these are not all of them.

15MB memory usage is very acceptable also scanner itself is very fast.
My current memory usage is only 10MB !!! (and 15MB max)

shgoh

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2004, 05:52:00 AM »

rofl... ;D ;D ;D ;D

CoJo

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2004, 08:41:55 PM »

;D ;D
Vlk, I've been reading some reviews that are saying the same thing...

cojo

CharleyO

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2004, 10:57:17 PM »

For those of you who decide to depend on XP's crappy firewall to protect you, you are just begging for trouble. In time, you will see.

Only protects you from inbound ... and you think that's enough? It does a poor job of that anyway. Give it time, you will see.

So, it is ok for your computer to send outbound malware that isn't blocked by XP's crappy firewall? It is this type of attitude that willingly helps to spred malware, worms, trojans, viruses, etc.  

CoJo

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2004, 11:36:41 PM »

For those of you who decide to depend on XP's crappy firewall to protect you, you are just begging for trouble. In time, you will see.

Only protects you from inbound ... and you think that's enough? It does a poor job of that anyway. Give it time, you will see.

So, it is ok for your computer to send outbound malware that isn't blocked by XP's crappy firewall? It is this type of attitude that willingly helps to spred malware, worms, trojans, viruses, etc.  

CharleyO...good point! and that was covered in those reviews...that it will lull folks into a false sense of security >:(
but M$ is like that, though...

cojo

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2004, 11:39:52 PM »
Inbound protection of Windows Firewall is 1A class. Even Kerio is worse in this field (so who cares about outbound control if even inbound sucks  ::) ). Yup,Kerio fails to Stealth unused ports very often!
For possible outbound leak i have avast! and Smart Mind v2.78. (This is not a software if you're trying to use Google :P but how users are generally informed about internet threats)

Also XP Service Pack 2 brings outbound control for integrated firewall so this field is also covered. Most of people complain about MS stuff just because its from MS. Sometimes its not that easy to judge software...

You can check firewall on www.security-ops.tk .
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 11:45:38 PM by RejZoR »

CharleyO

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2004, 11:49:07 PM »

Yep, been there before ... even before using avast! for my av. I've used "ShieldsUp" for years and always get full stealth mode results. I also use LeakTest.    :)  

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2004, 11:53:28 PM »
Also XP Service Pack 2 brings outbound control for integrated firewall so this field is also covered. Most of people complain about MS stuff just because its from MS.

RejZor, have you actually seen the program in action? I was playing with it quite extensively during the last two weeks, and my conclusion was that it sucked.

Sure, after reading the MS promo materials you get a feeling that this has to be a fantastic piece of software but the reality may actually be a bit different...

By the way, who told you it contained an outbound traffic filter?? It does not.

Just my €0.02 worth... :-\
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 12:00:15 AM by Vlk »