Author Topic: FastCache not compatible with new Avast?  (Read 3284 times)

rossnixon

FastCache not compatible with new Avast?
« on: August 08, 2008, 02:39:04 AM »
Two days ago I installed the new free Avast 4.9.1229.
My AnalogX FastCache program no longer works. (This is a freeware DNS cacheing program).
Is there new 'protection' in Avast that would have caused this?

olddog

Re: FastCache not compatible with new Avast?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 07:39:08 AM »
rossnixon,

Whilst I personally have not used FastCache, from what I have read it is a simple caching DNS proxy server that sits between the browser and the DNS servers on internet that map domain names to IP addresses.

Avast's Web shield scanner also sits beween the internet (Port 80) and the browser so perhaps the avast shield, as the last installed has effectively cut off the internet connection to FastCache (I am assuming that FastCache would also use port 80.

I haven't been able to find any specifications published for FastCache to indicate whether it has configurable ports that would allow it to be tacked on in series between the output of the Web Shield Scanner and the input of the browser.

You could terminate the Webshield and disable its Service, but that would disable a part Avast's protection that I personally think is worthwhile. Others may argue that the Standard Shield should still protect you - I guess it's your choice. 

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 09:23:04 AM »
I like OpenDNS and it does not interfere with Avast:
http://www.opendns.com

rossnixon

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 02:10:33 AM »
I was not using the Web Shield (I only use the 'Standard Shield').
FastCache is working again after removing the old Online Armor and installing the new free version (3.0.0.162).
I'll put the initial problem down to installing programs with too many others still running.

olddog

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 04:05:35 AM »
I was not using the Web Shield (I only use the 'Standard Shield').
FastCache is working again after removing the old Online Armor and installing the new free version (3.0.0.162).
I'll put the initial problem down to installing programs with too many others still running.

Great - thanks for the feedback