Author Topic: Unauthorised SCAN activated.  (Read 37326 times)

nicla

Re: Unauthorised SCAN activated.
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 01:48:46 AM »
UPDATE :  The uncloseable window is gone.  I went to options in the Firefox tools drop down box to look at security options there but before I could do anything further Firefox went into not responding mode and I closed it.  and opened it anew.  

nicla

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 01:52:54 AM »
UPDATE :  The uncloseable window is gone.  I went to options in the Firefox tools drop down box to look at security options there but before I could do anything further Firefox went into not responding mode and I closed it.  and opened it anew. 

UPDATE NUMBER 2.  I have also just verified the charge on my credit card.  It is legitimate.

So now that the window is closed and "IT" is not active (really don't know what I am saying here) am I to understand that I can proceed with the remedies without problem (though of course I am sure that I will be resorting to the wonderful assistance found here again if I am not clear about something).

Rick F

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 01:58:12 AM »
I would suggest you download and run the "MalwareBytes" for sure.  There are a number of folks that report that it does in fact remove it all.  Depends on whether or not this 'scumware' has morphed (changed).

Follow the instructions in this link:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5178

Or this one.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/antivirus-2008

Here's a link to a video on how Antivirus 2008 infects a user's PC.  This is by Enigma Software - so they're trying to sell their product SpyHunter.  But you can see some of the screens and how they lure people into purchasing that scumware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAVGe55j6YY&eurl=http://www.spywareremove.com/removeAntivirus2008.html

SpyHunter may work, but I've read some folks here don't care for it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:52:34 AM by Rick F »

nicla

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 05:14:20 AM »
Apologies please for my clumsy posting style.  Participating in forums is still new to me. 

David, referring to part of your first post in this thread :
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Start with the programs in order:
Try this tool first, RogueRemover, available here http://www.malwarebytes.org/rogueremover.php

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware freeware version http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware.shtml.

SUPERantispyware On-Demand only in free version.

Report the findings, they should product a log file, etc.
[/quote]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is great that you have all given me so much information.  However downloading is the easy part it is what to do next and how to manage these programmes and make them work for you.  I am not even remotely computer lit or savvy

David, You provided 2 different malware downloads.  I have only chosen one but let me know if I am wrong and need them both.  I chose RogueRemover which I downloaded --and got it to perform a scan - result ALL CLEAR.  Tell me is it normal for the bar at the bottom of the window to fill up with green and stay like that?

spyware pro version offers more than the home version and I am deciding between pro and home.  Am I right in assuming that the price is a one off cost and that there are no annual charges?

the Open DNS has stalled during the installation process. I get an "error opening file for writing message".  I then press abort.  I have activated my account. 

I should tackle this again in the cold hard light of day.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 05:48:12 AM by nicla »

olddog

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 11:02:36 AM »
..... I chose RogueRemover which I downloaded --and got it to perform a scan - result ALL CLEAR.  Tell me is it normal for the bar at the bottom of the window to fill up with green and stay like that?

Nicla,

The attached shot shows two screens from rogue remover. The first is what it looks like after it has opened and before you click on the scan.

The second appears at the end of the scan.

If you are talking about the green "progress bar" then it is normal for it to go to full width and then stay there until the scan is started

Hope that helps.

ruthie

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 12:06:14 PM »
Have never posted on anything anywhere before so please bear with me. I had the same problem as you yesterday, Nicla. I was just browsing when had the alert that
ipexewin.exe
audiopitusr.exe
exeiptransfer.exe
had infected my computer. I've never heard of anything like it before - red,green,blue and yellow security centre shield etc made it seem really authentic. So I downloded something showing in download box as
setup_100562_3_(2)
setup_100562_3_
setup_100562_3_(3)
I was then suspicious and think I pressed remove instead of open, and then deleted them from recycle bin.
I ran spybot search and destroy - removed lots of things - I think they were all cookies.
Thanks for all postings - I used malwarebytes.org/rogueremover.php and got all clear like Nicla. 
Feel v stupid and worried.
I think we both have the same worry - is there anything lurking on our computers (also was it there before yesterday). When I googled ipexewin.exe found the same post on several sites telling you to run Spyhunter - which I'm not sure if we should trust. Any more help really really gratefully received.

nicla

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 02:21:28 PM »
Excellent, Oddog,  many thanks.

Were your attached images sourced from your screen or cut and pasted from the rogueware website.  I am wondering is it possible to capture an image of what a computer screen looks like (like for instance what mine looked like yesterday with the scumware jamming it) and immerse it in a file or in a forum, for example?  If it is possible how does one do it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 04:00:44 PM »
@ nicla
It wasn't a choice of which to use
Quote from: DavidR

Rather, run the first one then in order of being listed one after the other, step by step. Run one and report the findings (and hopefully get feedback from us to help), run the next and report the findings, etc. This way it isn't trying to do everything at once which might feel daunting.

olddog has answered your question relating to RogueRemover, so now you need to proceed to the next step, the MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) and report your findings. Then the next step, a

You don't need the SuperAntiSpyware Pro version (if you did we would say), we are only interested in its on-demand scan, which is in the free version, don't spend any money during this investigation. Afterwards if you thing the additional features of the Pro paid version are what you want then make a choice when you are not under pressure.

With OpenDNS there is no need to register (that is optional) and there shouldn't be any need to install anything.

From this URL, https://www.opendns.com/start from the Get Started link on the first page, it gives a number operating system options, click on your OS and it shows how to setup your computer to use the OpenDNS servers. This gives instructions and pictures of how to do it, you can also click the Print Ready Instructions that displays a more printer friendly page that you can print out and use off-line.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nicla

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 04:39:26 PM »
Try this tool first, RogueRemover, available here http://www.malwarebytes.org/rogueremover.php

I downloaded the above from Malwarebytes.org.  This worked successfully.

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware freeware version http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware.shtml.

apologies but I am not shouting.  I RAN THE ABOVE INSTANT SCAN AND THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CAME UP?????..........

"QUOTE---
        This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<Error>
<Code>InternalError</Code>

<Message>
We encountered an internal error. Please try again.
</Message>
<RequestId>167AC9DB1044A3AF</RequestId>

<HostId>
ZI+vLqmhPiKJFQ/GKMH6OMpkuQuCoSplT2qbtd/ttnVRzZJkOYUi2st9E+H69RNK
</HostId>
</Error>

END OF QUOTE

I guess there is a next step, David, so I will standby.  Thank you

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 06:28:02 PM »
I'm somewhat confused by the 'Instant Scan' you mention as that link should just be to download the installation file, it should be saved to your computer from where you run the 'installation' file.

So are you saying you downloaded the installation file, installed, ran it and had the error (which I doubt) ?

Another link to try to get the program, http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe, right click on the link and select Save As or Save File (As depending on your browser), save it to a location where you can find it easily later.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 06:31:57 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

olddog

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 01:49:56 AM »
Excellent, Oddog,  many thanks.

...I am wondering is it possible to capture an image of what a computer screen looks like (like for instance what mine looked like yesterday with the scumware jamming it)

Nicla,
There has already been a couple of screen shots relating to the rogue antivirus 2009, see
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=37714.0;topicseen

nicla

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 03:39:10 PM »
David, looking back over what I did yesterday I can see that I was beguiled by a banner ad from uniblue registry booser which led me to the following webpage  http://www.liutilities.com/products/campaigns/ppc/ppa/rb/lp/?gclid=CKnC-pv3ipUCFRSO1QodlWhorA

The result of that link was the error message and an option to download an application called "registryboostergogppa.exe" which I cancelled because it wasn't mentioned in your post. 

I have just tried the bleeping computer link (both clicking link you gave & copying and pasting the URL) but I am not guided to a web page as only a blank page comes up.  However an opening application box appeared for an application called " mbam-setup.exe " from download.bleepingcomputer.com!  I am not happy that this box appeared without the bleepingcomputer webpage to authenticate it.

David,  I am sorry as I realise that this should not be so difficult.

Going back to the softpedia link I clicked on Secure Downloads are files hosted and checked by Softpedia    Softpedia Secure Download (RO) {I hate that there were 4 choices confronting me} and mercy me the same "mbam-setup.exe" window came up.  So I will proceed and report back.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 04:01:08 PM »
You have to right click the link and choose Save As or Save File As, which I mentioned.

Another link to try to get the program, http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe, right click on the link and select Save As or Save File (As depending on your browser), save it to a location where you can find it easily later.

The reason nothing is displayed is you are effectively clicking on an executable file, which won't open in your browser. I gave you a direct link to the file because of your previous problems in getting the file. The mbam-setup.exe it the installation file, see image of it in my downloads folder.

nicla

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 04:45:10 PM »
Apologies David for not reading thoroughly your instructions.  As I write the malewarebytes' Anti-malware is scanning.  So far there is one infected object.

Olddog,  I am sorry I got your name wrong before.  I did see the your links thanks but what I was after was the facility/ability to copy bits of my screen for my own purposes.  Anyway I discovered the snipping tool quite by chance earlier this morning to I am sorted.  I hope to be sorted on the scum/scamware too before this day is out. ;D  Thanks David for your patience here.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 04:51:22 PM »
You're welcome.